It ain't just scenarios folks--CMAK Screenies at Boots and Tracks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WWB

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The latest pic looks like a (75mm) PAK to me, not a 6pdr.

I know, I know, WIP. But I remember the horror that is the CMBO 25pdr, so I will ask it despite knowing of the good faith work of BFC. We are going to have a honest to goodness 6pdr with wavey gunshield top and that curious extra plate in front, right?

On the topic of Brit guns, will we see the early war 25pdr or the one with a muzzle flash surpressor (or both)? I hope that the earlier model is in at least, since that was the model used during the heydays of the 25pdr in the direct fire role.

And to keep going on guns. Will the heavier guns be modelled too? I hope so, I've read several accounts of the heavy stuff firing over open sights. (Commonwealth accounts mainly, since that's where my main interest lies)

Originally posted by Tweety:

The latest pic looks like a (75mm) PAK to me, not a 6pdr.

I know, I know, WIP. But I remember the horror that is the CMBO 25pdr, so I will ask it despite knowing of the good faith work of BFC. We are going to have a honest to goodness 6pdr with wavey gunshield top and that curious extra plate in front, right?

On the topic of Brit guns, will we see the early war 25pdr or the one with a muzzle flash surpressor (or both)? I hope that the earlier model is in at least, since that was the model used during the heydays of the 25pdr in the direct fire role.

And to keep going on guns. Will the heavier guns be modelled too? I hope so, I've read several accounts of the heavy stuff firing over open sights. (Commonwealth accounts mainly, since that's where my main interest lies)

Did the 25 pdr in CMBO prove useful against enemy armour? I never tried to employ it that way. I would hope the circular gun carriage and the multi-piece ammo that had to be loaded seperately would be factors in reload times.

What I noticed was the faint dust cloud behind the Stuart on the road. That cloud is going to be visible to the opposing player, even if the tank isn’t. So even if I am on a road, behind a hill, 1000 meters away, my opponent will still know that I am there. That is going to make it impossible to out maneuver the enemy (except with decoys).

Originally posted by Tweety:

But my eyes are drawn to the HT in the background. Does my eye see a gun on top of it? I think it does. Sweet!

Anyone care to venture a guess as to what we are looking at?

That is a Tank Destroyer, 1942 vintage. A 75mm gun in a half track just didn't cut it against tanks.

BTW, did you notice the hills? Real Tunisian terrain this time.

Michael

Re the uniforms on the British soldiers in today's pic at B&T: I don't recall seeing many photos of the Tommies in the desert wearing the full webbing get up like these guys have. In fact, their personal kit tended to be pretty minimal unless it was winter and they had greatcoats on.

Michael

[ September 22, 2003, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: Michael Emrys ]

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

Re the uniforms on the British soldiers in today's pic at B&T: I don't recall seeing many photos of the Tommies in the desert wearing the full webbing get up like these guys have. In fact, their personal kit tended to be pretty minimal unless it was winter and they had greatcoats on.

I recall seeing pics of British INFANTRYMEN (not armored crews, artillerymen or guys at rest)in the desert wearing the full kit, haversack included. The CMAK British infantry in the desert wears belt, canteen, X-straps and two ammo pouches. That's a pretty basic equipment.

The canteen was obviously a must in the desert and the guys had to put the rifle ammo and grenades somewhere. I don't think they wore everything in their shorts and shirt pockets. I have a pair of British shorts (dated 1945) in my collection and the pockets aren't large at all. That's the reason they wore ammo pouches and that's the reason British infantrymen cwore them in combat.The British ammo pouches couldn't be worn without the British web belt (they couldn't be hooked to other belts) and you really need the X-straps if you wear heavily loaded British ammo pouches because they are hooked too high on the belt. Remember that the British ammo pouches were really large and could weight a lot if fully loaded with lots of grenades and rifle clips

Originally posted by Eric Alkema:

What I noticed was the faint dust cloud behind the Stuart on the road. That cloud is going to be visible to the opposing player, even if the tank isn’t. So even if I am on a road, behind a hill, 1000 meters away, my opponent will still know that I am there. That is going to make it impossible to out maneuver the enemy (except with decoys).

Well, I'm seriously hoping that dust clouds fall under appropriate visibility rules, similar to the way sound works. Obviously dust clouds should be visible to troops who could see them, it's the nature of movement over dry, dusty terrain. And dust can rise pretty high, so simply being behind a small hill wouldn't necessarily help.

So far we've been playing in a system where dust thrown up by a fast moving vehicle isn't a factor, so I'm very glad to see this being added.

I'll be disappointed, however, if dust is visible everywhere by everyone all the time. It would make the feature rather useless, so I feel confident it's already been (or is being) addressed by our friendly developers. Probably it was something thought of in the very beginning.

Originally posted by Fernando:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

[qb] Re the uniforms on the British soldiers in today's pic at B&T: I don't recall seeing many photos of the Tommies in the desert wearing the full webbing get up like these guys have. In fact, their personal kit tended to be pretty minimal unless it was winter and they had greatcoats on.

I recall seeing pics of British INFANTRYMEN (not armored crews, artillerymen or guys at rest)in the desert wearing the full kit, haversack included. The CMAK British infantry in the desert wears belt, canteen, X-straps and two ammo pouches. That's a pretty basic equipment.

The canteen was obviously a must in the desert and the guys had to put the rifle ammo and grenades somewhere. </font>

Cameroon

I'll be disappointed, however, if dust is visible everywhere by everyone all the time. It would make the feature rather useless, so I feel confident it's already been (or is being) addressed by our friendly developers. Probably it was something thought of in the very beginning.
Yup, thought of ;) Dust is like anything else... someone has to spot it to notice it. However, also like everything else with the Absolute Spotting system in place now (vs. Relative Spotting in CMx2 yet to come) once one unit sees the dust, effectively any unit with LOS can see the dust.

Dust works a lot like sound, however dust will be easily spotted compared to sound. The reason is simple... a CMAK battlefield is still relatively small. Dust travels high and fast, then hangs there for quite some time under normal circumstances. This means that anybody who isn't asleap, facing the wrong way, or locked up inside a tank checking out how many AP rounds are left, will likely spot dust of oncoming vehicles. This is quite realistic, actually.

Keep in mind that dust only tells you where you THINK an enemy vehicle is moving. You won't know what the vehicle is, exactly where it is, or what it intends on doing. For all you know it is a truck driving around in circles. So unless you get a Mk1 Eyeball on the actual vehicle, you don't really know much.

Let's face it... CMAK is a game. You KNOW the enemy is coming. You know pretty much when and where the enemy is coming from. And if you tweaked the QB settings or read the Briefing, you probably already know if vehicles are going to be encountered (they generally will be as a rule, not as an exception). This means dust, as realistic as it is or isn't, really doesn't tell you much that you couldn't have guessed during Setup.

It does look cool though :D

Steve