Why not.... be happy with what we've got????

I work for a company that sells bar coding equipment, I repair bar code printers. A few months back we had a company meeting with all the sales guys across the nation having a chance to talk to the manufacturers of various equipment we sell. I was rather shocked to see how they treated the reps from our biggest vender during the meeting. They screamed/shouted/yelled all the features and options they wanted. It was a mad house. Another vender rep, who equipment we dont' sell much, gave his presentation and everyone was rather polite and nice to him.

I talked to the first rep after the meeting about what happened. He told me that I didn't understand what happened, he feels the meeting went great. The reason everyone jumped on him was that they love his product and wanted more and more from it. Noone cared about the other product so why talked about it.

Same goes with CM, people have so many ideas and want so many features because they love the game? Simple as that.

Remember the old say, when GIs stop complaining you have REAL problems.

MikeT

I occassionally recall life pre-CM where I could scarcely imagine ever seeing a historically accurate 3-D WWII armor game. ...I didn't DREAM there could be a series stretching from 1940 thru 1945 ...stretching from Morocco to the Urals ...with accessable art that would totally replace plastic kit building for me!

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I occassionally recall life pre-CM where I could scarcely imagine ever seeing a historically accurate 3-D WWII armor game. ...I didn't DREAM there could be a series stretching from 1940 thru 1945 ...stretching from Morocco to the Urals ...with accessable art that would totally replace plastic kit building for me!

Absolutely.

When I look back at all of the cardboard-and-hex wargames I played for decades, I appreciate the CM series even more.

I'm in the middle of two games of CMBB. I'm playing one game against a guy from Finland who I will probably never meet in real life, and another against a friend from my USMC days as an excuse to keep in touch.

I can send a turn any time I have a spare ten minutes. My cat can't knock over the board between games. I don't have to wait for the post office to return their moves.

There are no rules disputes - either the game will let me do something or it won't. There's no arguing over line-of-sight. I can't mis-interpret a rule by mistake. I will never forget to apply a die-roll modifier.

All of the "bugs" of old wargaming have been solved. There's limited "S-2," intelligence. I don't have total control over my units - sometimes they panic and shoot too soon, revealing their positions. They retreat when they get shot up, as real troops do.

My units are 3D models, with lovingly rendered paint jobs, who "move" when I click them. I can pick which camo scheme I want them to have before each battle. I'll never lose a single counter or spill coffee on a map. The little infantry "run" into position, and my opponent's troops yell in real Finnish or German when I shoot them.

Yes, the social interaction of old wargames is missing, even though we send friendly e-mails. But I'm playing a game against an opponent I never would have met otherwise, and keeping in touch with a fellow USMC vet.

I'm wearing out my CMBB CD, as Panzerblitz gathers dust in my basement.

We've got it good, people. But can you blame us for wanting even more?

[ April 28, 2004, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: Cessna ]

Exactly the point I was making... but of course I am also gagging for more... more detail.... more units.. more countries... more battles.. campaigns!!!

I just hope the game developers pay CLOSE attention to all our grumblings. If they do then I hope that CMX2 will be so good, I will be forced to burn my copies of the first three games in disgust!!! :D

(jumping naked and screaming of course)

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

When BFC guys start feeling offended at the feedback, they should come & read this!!!

They are professional software developpers. They know their software is not perfect. It has bugs, problems, issues, "missing features", etc. Every non trivial program has. They know that no feedback or only praises mean that people do not use their software or are not paying enough attention to it. It would make them sad.

Period.

JeF.

Hey Cessena

As you said you were a PanzerBlitz player I wanted to remind you that the 12 classic PanzerBlitz scenarios have been converted into CMBB CM - at the scenario depot.

No need to give up PanzerBlitz to play CM, you can combine them!

Hans

The CM series is far more “wife friendly” than the older PB, PL, ASL equivalent!

GOC Home Command is much happier with me picking up my PowerBook and moving when required, rather than occupy the dining room table (needed for the large maps) and not shifting for days / weeks.

Foldable maps were great to fit in boxes but weren’t quite rigid enough to survive relocation (especially large stacks further heightened by all the info markers).

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Hans:

This is the best of all possible worlds

It is also the worst of all possible worlds. They always neglect to tell you about that part.

;)

Michael </font>