Where should a new player start?

Question: As a new player of CM, what is the best way to start learning the game? What I mean by this is beyond what comes in the box. The AI is of course simplistic. I've found that the best way to learn a game is to play against good competition (IE: humans) and learn from them. What's the best way to do that? Along with that, what are the best mods for the game, and how do you install them?

Although the AI isn’t as worthy as a human, it still be an excellent way to train.

I would head over to the scenario depot and pick out some small to medium attacks.

Choose a scenario that a designer has intentionally created as a Human vs. AI and I think you’ll find it a real challenge.

http://ns9.super-hosts.com/~dragonlair.net/combatmission/

Hone you’re infantry assault skills with an all infantry scenario and move up to co-coordinating an artillery/infantry/armor attack. Not an easy thing to master.

When you're comfortable (or even if your not:) ) head over to the opponents wanted forum and find yourself somebody to humble. ;)

Playing a couple of games against the AI is good to get a feel for the game. Start with small scenarios (to not get overwhelmed) playing as the attacker against the AI sticking to the default placement unless otherwise noted in the scenario description (to minimize the AI's weaknesses).

Dschugaschwili

if u go to www.combatmission.com You can find people who will play online now IP game, can take hours but its great

Once there goto CMHQ chat and you will find us waiting to slaughter your humble ill prepared soldiers, thats how i learnt, the hard and fast smile.gif

Then these people who only pbem are easy because you learn 1000s times faster. hehe i had game 5-6 months no 1 has beaten me pbem cos ive done about 6 very ssslllooowwwlllyyy. but it good becos you can do them whilst waiting for a opponent at cmhq, god i need a real life during the day.

If you're playing against the AI my advice is to try to stay with properly designed scenarios as much as you can and not Quickbattles. A proper scenario will setup the AIs defending forces logically, reinforcements will arrive at logical times in logical places, attackers will have been placed along the best attack routes.

I'll admit that statement is a bit of a simplification. Lately I'm seeing more and more two-player-only scenarios that are just as player-vs-AI unfriendly as the worst random QB.

Originally posted by arax3:

Ted: Are you "super" Ted? Thanks. A3

All the girls think I'm super Ted.

Ok Ok so maybe just my wife.

Ok Ok so maybe just me and my mind. ;)

Nope. I'm not THE "Super Ted".

Actually I haven't seen him around the forum for quite some time.

Second most of the advice here.

Once you can win consistently against AI, look for human opponents, since, as you say, as good as the AI may be, it's never going to match a human opponent (well at least not in our lifetime, and not for complex tactical problems outside of chess).

I recommend the tutorial first (follow all the steps - don't skip a section because you think you know what it describes - you can pick up great little tips).

Then fight a few battles with 500-1000 points. Where possible, fight defenses first, since they tend to be easier. After you've got the hang of defending, try offense. Then try bigger battles.

Once you've seen the whole range of scales vs. an AI opponent, you're ready for the big time.

Every once in a while I will play a series against the AI in order to familiarize myself with new equipment and force organizations.

I start with a 500 point quick battle randomizing everything except small map and I pick my forces from a randomly generated nation and TO&E. Start Allied, and move up one points amount after every game. Switch to medium map at 1000 or 1250 points, and large map at 2000+. If you should lose, become the Axis for your next battle.

This generates tons of random scenarios. Infantry assaults on armor. Crazy defenses without artillery, etc..., but you will learn how to use all kind of nutty combos effectively. Plus its fun to have Italian and South African mechanised troops tangling for no particular reason.