Giant Haystack Tank Mk I

Originally posted by jeffsmith:

Let me Stand on your Shoulders

and see if I can get LOS

A silver star to jeffsmith!

Apparently...

"Kiwis will go to any length to get their target. In February 1945 Lt. Frank White of B Sd. 20 Armoured Reg. emplaced his Sherman III in top of a Churchill Ark in order to obtain sufficient elevation to fire a German SP gun on the other side of the Senio River. While waiting for their target to show the tank was partially covered with straw to disguise it as a haystack and white sheets placed over it to simulate snow."

Who wanted more obscure camo for the Italian campaign?

Originally posted by Wicky:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by jeffsmith:

Let me Stand on your Shoulders

and see if I can get LOS

A silver star to jeffsmith!

Apparently...

"Kiwis will go to any length to get their target. In February 1945 Lt. Frank White of B Sd. 20 Armoured Reg. emplaced his Sherman III in top of a Churchill Ark in order to obtain sufficient elevation to fire a German SP gun on the other side of the Senio River. While waiting for their target to show the tank was partially covered with straw to disguise it as a haystack and white sheets placed over it to simulate snow."

Who wanted more obscure camo for the Italian campaign? </font>

Originally posted by Abteilung:

Ahh, so that's how the Ram Kangaroo came to be!

Nothing like a little tank pr0n to start the day off......

No really, the one on bottom is the hull of a Churchill, not M3 Hull (which the Canadian Ram was based on). Once the Sherman with 75mm Gun was avalible there was no need for a MBT with a 2 pounder, or 6 pounder gun like the Ram I and II; thus the turret was removed to make the Ram Kangaroo. ;)