Any bad backs out there?

_Axe_

Threw my back out again this morning for the nth time.

First time at 17.

Probably seven or eight times since then (I turn 33 in a couple of weeks).

I've been swimming 100 laps a week for the last three months which I thought would help. While it's helped with cardio, weight and stress, the back is still as fragile as ever.

It's always a sharp stabbing pain low down on either side of my spine. The only relief I get is when I shift positions (which only helps for about 30 seconds), a heating pad or lying on the floor on my face.

Anyone else have back problems and/or suggestions?

I cringe to think of what it'll be like in 30 years.

Originally posted by Axe2121:

Threw my back out again this morning for the nth time.

First time at 17.

Probably seven or eight times since then (I turn 33 in a couple of weeks).

I've been swimming 100 laps a week for the last three months which I thought would help. While it's helped with cardio, weight and stress, the back is still as fragile as ever.

It's always a sharp stabbing pain low down on either side of my spine. The only relief I get is when I shift positions (which only helps for about 30 seconds), a heating pad or lying on the floor on my face.

Anyone else have back problems and/or suggestions?

I cringe to think of what it'll be like in 30 years.

Sounds like a disc issue. Go to a chiropractor, one who specializes in low back pain.

KC

Axe, dear, I can relate.

Have had three "major" back injuries since age 11.

Last time in '98 in the "mother of all wrecks".

Sounds like yours may be the same as mine: sciatica (pinching of the sciatic nerve).

When it hits me, muscles REFUSE to relax, can't get comfy AT ALL, sharp pain down (for me) left side (into leg), can't stand up straight (usually 90º angle to, maybe a 45º angle can be achieved)...

Takes me three days rest flat on back with knees propped on a pillow for elevation to alleviate the problem. Extra weight doesn't help things, either, but the swimming *can* help *IF* you strengthen your lower back muscles.

Same advice as above: see a chiropractor. Works WORLDS of wonder! smile.gif

In the interim: NO heating pad!!! Dry heat BAD!!! Use hot water bottle. No longer than 20 minutes at a stretch! (I used to work for a physical rehab therapist ;) ). Also...when NOT using the hot water bottle, try IcyHot! OH BOY! That brings some relief, I tell ya! Well, that and 800mg Ibuprofen. tongue.gif

Some 23 years ago I did something like that. Had very intense back pain that lasted over a year. I went to see a chiropractor, who thought it was a sprain of some of the smaller muscles along my spinal column. I went to him twice a week for a year. He did adjustments and gave me some exercises designed to strengthen the back muscles. The excercises may have helped some. The adjustments never did. In fact, I suspect they actually retarded healing.

What finally cured me was receiving an injury to my leg that made me almost bedridden for five weeks. When I got up finally, the back problem was gone. Not really a recommended therapy though. ;)

I've had many injuries over the years, most of them more disabling, but the back injury and subsequent pain was the most demoralizing I ever went through. I'd start to get better, then a car I happened to be riding in would hit a bump, and I would be in agony again. That does something to your morale.

You have my sympathy. I recommend drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. And find a competent doc, if you can. You may need surgery, or at least some kind of clinical therapy. Sounds like you've put up with this long enough and then some.

Michael

Ah, Emrys, dear...you make a very good point about something...

I am under the assumption this is not a "frequent" occurence for Axe (much as is my case). Mine will hit out of the blue for no other reason than I turned around too quickly or some stupid thing. But I also go *months* without any problem.

And if you find a COMPETENT chiro, they do a full x-ray before they *ever* do any adjustment just to be *SURE* you don't have a tear or a ruptured disc, or anything of that nature.

Now finding a *reputable* chiro is the trick. So if you *aren't* sure, Axe, go to your regular doctor first and get some x-rays to be certain you don't have something wrong that adjustments could make *worse*.

If it *is* sciatica or a mild subluxation of the discs, chiro is a *very* good thing, though. smile.gif And should you decide to go that route, try some word of mouth to find out who is recommended in your area. smile.gif

Originally posted by Moraine Sedai:

And if you find a COMPETENT chiro, they do a full x-ray before they *ever* do any adjustment just to be *SURE* you don't have a tear or a ruptured disc, or anything of that nature.

Interestingly enough, the chiro I went to did the X-rays, and even had an out of town chiro look at them as well to get his opinion.

The problem with the adjustments was this: He would apply them with sudden, very forceful movements. Now you have to understand that this was a very big guy, about 6'4" tall and 260 lbs IIRC. He had been a logger until his own back injury convinced him that that was not a good career path. So when I say he made forceful movements, you may know what I mean.

He would put his hands on a spot, and then come with his full weight on it. If he had done that gradually, it might have been alright, I might have been able to stay relaxed and go with it. But with that sudden, choppy movement, I would always tense against it. I literally could not will myself not to. So he would be pushing violently against a tense muscle. I am convinced that the combination simply prolonged the sprain, which finally did go away with bed rest.

Michael

Originally posted by Sergei:

Wow... I'm impressed.

Until now, I thought that Axe was a spineless scumbag.

Now I know that he is just a scumbag.

You learn something new every day...

ROFLMAO!

A good laugh might jolt his spine back into place.

See a doctor if this is chronic. To reiterate what others have said, be leary of chiropractors. A short term remedy is a massage. My back went haywire once after snowboarding. I was in a lot of pain. I got a massage and took some advils. It worked.

Have you tried this:

Robaxacet

this stuff is good but it makes you sleepy

http://www.backrelief.com/english/robaxacet/

My experience with a folks from the sport injury management clinic indicated they wanted me to ice it down on a daily basis

LOTS of Ice

NO heat

and Robaxacet and Robaxacet Platinum with ibuprophen will do you good and make the pain go away, it is available without prescribtion in Canada.

-tom w

Ive had serious back problems.

First stage is lameness in a leg and difficulty

walking. Hard to stand up straight because one

leg suddenly feels shorter and your sense of

balance feels "off".

Second stage is you can no longer walk but just crawl around on your hands and knees like a baby.

Third stage you cant crawl but just lay motionless

from the torso down. Hopefeully you are in a bed

when you reach this point.

Fourth stage is a buzzing electrical sensation

in your back followed by a MASSIVE detonation

of pain.(Spasms)You will scream and curse incoherently until you get to a hospital and

are shot full of valium. That last stage has

happened to me 4 times.

My advice is if you hit the first stage immediatley cease anything you are doing,

go home lie down and lay with your legs

propped in an _/\___o position. Take

lots of ibuprofen and dont do anything but

essentials like cooking and bathroom trips.

Do not attempt exercise while your back is

still injured. Do not fill your bathtub full

of hot water thinking "It will soothe my back"

You will feel ridiculous sprawled out on the

bathroom floor naked when the emergency guys

arrive.

Dont try to soldier on as normal and fight the pain. You may be lucky and the first stage

may never progress any further...by why test

your luck? You may lay choking on your own

vomit after they inject you with valium.

"We're sorry sir , we forgot to tell you this

medication can make you sick to your stomach".

Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

If you consider a chiropractor, look for a McTimoney chiropractor. They use very gentle motions to ease the back into the shape it should be, no violent movement or pain, no crunching or anything.

I had very bad back and shoulder pains after a car accident 10 years ago, and went to see one. Three treatments later and my back and shoulder were no longer painful. I've been going to see him every 3 months for a year and a half now just to keep everything straightened up.

I had a bad knee injury for about 10 years before pulling myself together & getting it sorted, in that time my whole balance went off & my back started to twist as I was favoring the leg.

I went to a normal chiro who cracked various things and it felt good for a little while but in the end it'd always come back.

So I paid £40 for my first visit to the McTimony guy (£25 after the first appointment) and he felt all over my back before tapping me in various places. I thought I was down £40 for nowt but he said to go home & lie down as there were a lot of toxins released into my system from muscles which had been tense for years. About 40mins later I felt sick as a dog. After that I could actually feel my gait change.

It took a couple of months but he changed my whole way of walking. There was no pain, there was no cracking, he just tapped various places in my back and hips.

So I'm in full agreement with Sodball.

/goes to wash/

I've been doing martial arts and American Football for well over 10 years, and while I injured my knees early off and still am in pain occassionally, that was about all I had in the way of issues with by body.

Then I had to drop out of university and get me a job, which meant that I went to training Monday, job interview Tuesday, and donating my Football equipment to the team on Wednesday. Yes, I know you should never, ever do this - I studied Sports and Biology, I know it, but there was no way around for me.

I then went to drive a truck for about three years (sitting and having your spine vibrated into tallow, with intermediate heavy lifting), then went into the IT industry (sitting hunched over the keyboard all day). I never got to pick up some other sport, since swimming, running etc. feel so incredibly dull after what I used to do for sports, and the martial arts clubs around my new place of living suck big time (what with MA being an "elite premium you-don't-know-how-to-spell-my-style" sport instead of the down-to-earth self defense it used to be in the 80'ies/90'ies).

My back muscles deteriorated, and I went from a 74kg Defense Back capable of open-field tackling 110+ kg Running Backs cold to a 90kg couch potatoe.

So here I am, at 32, and while virtually everyone here cracks his knuckles now and again, I crack my spine every 15 minutes or so to get some relief, while trying not to think about my sciatic pain syndrome (right lower back, for me).

And while I can't get my ass up to do something about it, my recommendation is clear: Find a sport that gets you moving. It needn't be swimming - which can actually be harmful. Breast is a back (and knee!) killer, for example, while backstroke is good if done right.

Almost any sport will do good, as long as you take it easy. Not only will it improve your back muscles to relieve your spine, it also gives you a better feeling of how to move and hold yourself, so you don't sit hunched or make sudden twists.

Nothing will take away the chance for a sudden stab of pain and immobility, but staying in movement improves your chances.

Got myself a charming "Morbus Scheuermann" when I was a teenager, resulting in degenerated discs.

Physiotherapy basically consisted in me and the practician discussing sports and exercises.

I am in pain 50% of the time, no matter what I do (that is JiuJitsu, climbing, snowboarding, Marathons, ... or just NOTHING). After I found out that resting does not do me any good either (computer workplace influence here maybe) I decided to go on with my various straining activities ...

I cannot imagine how it must be to be painfree all the time ...

As for exercises, I found one that really affects the lower back muscles. Standing on one leg, extend the other leg behind horizontally and hold the upper body horizontally as well (kind of T-shaped, or ushiro-geri-like). Hold, with gentle oscillations, as long as it is bearable. Then stretch! I have the impression that the muscles really enjoy this tension-relaxation cycle. Whether it is detrimental in the long run I do not know. If you do not hold on to something it is good for balance also, plus the standing leg is exercised.

Best regards,

Thomm