What 'magnification' do you play on.

Hi there everyone.

A quick question. What magnification do you play on when giving orders? I find that anything more than 2 makes it really hard to get a sense of the contours of the battle field but at the same time the field of view is very narrow.

Looking forward to your thoughts

Peter

Hithere!

Depends. If I'm tinkering with infantry I like to have it in +4. Tanks are +2 on large maps and maps with a bunch of infantry. Lower sizes depending on map size and clutter and few inf to keep track of.

I'll take this opportunity to repeat the hope that in future CM incarnations there will be seperate magnificantion levels for inf and AFVs.

Except when creating 'artistic' screenshots, or following tanks in replay.

Using 'view locked to unit' on level 1, you don't zoom upon the tank, but on what the tank is aiming at. - Nothing so sweet as the view of the rear end of a AP round going for the almost, but not entirely, hidden T34. :)

Level 5 for the first view during execution. Details with Magnification depending on what's happening.

Orders are given depending on how far I go. If I move fast on a road for 1 mile, I won't do it in level 1 but 7-8. Then all bends in the road are checked with level 1, 2 or 6-7.

When enemy is in reach, level 5 for the big plan giving orders to all units (which plt goes where), then level 1-2 or 6-7 for details.

Gruß

Joachim

Originally posted by Joachim:

Level 5 for the first view during execution. Details with Magnification depending on what's happening.

Orders are given depending on how far I go. If I move fast on a road for 1 mile, I won't do it in level 1 but 7-8. Then all bends in the road are checked with level 1, 2 or 6-7.

When enemy is in reach, level 5 for the big plan giving orders to all units (which plt goes where), then level 1-2 or 6-7 for details.

Gruß

Joachim

I do exactly the same.

I wonder if he meant camera angle or unit scale?

(Some people answered one, some the other, some both!)

I'm usually flicking between all the camera angles from 1-5. 1 for hull down/LOS for a unit, and 2-5 depending on the scale of the battle.

Occasionally I use 6 to position something. At the beginning of the game I'd use higher to see the whole map.

I usually am at +2 or +3 scale ... about the only time I use normal scale is if a unit is getting in the way of a plot marker, so I can't click on it!