BFC: Forum still buggy late at night USA time: errors, white screens, other glitches

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried the forum at 0200 Pacific coast time. I had lots of "white screens. Used the back button a couple of times, and the problem seemed to go away. The problem recurs sporadically, which requires more "back button" efforts.

I'm using an iMac G3. It is a pain in the A** more than anything (the white screens, not the G3). Up until a few days ago all was great.

Hmm. I tried to get to this post:

"In 1939 which way did these countries lean (Axis vs Allies)?" January 23, 2004 11:03

by Tero

but, alas, I couldn't - I could see it in the forum screen as the last post, but if I click on it, it doesn't lead me to a specific post, and the latest post is by Emrys six hours earlier, regardless of how many times I press the refresh. It doesn't make any sense, it's an hour since Tero posted that!

Something's wrong.

(note: the time seen there is in Finland's time, GMT+2)

I had quite a few problems myself with Internal Server Error messages, pages not switching properly, etc. ~2 a.m. PST Friday. I think the problem may be attributable to a raging, multihour geomagnetic storm, which is still going, happily at lower power levels. I have repeatedly observed that geomagnetic storms apparently cause all sorts of upsets in the computer and in my Internet connection. Please see www.n3kl.org for the strength plots by day.

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by Sergei:

Hmm. I tried to get to this post:

"In 1939 which way did these countries lean (Axis vs Allies)?" January 23, 2004 11:03

by Tero

but, alas, I couldn't - I could see it in the forum screen as the last post, but if I click on it, it doesn't lead me to a specific post, and the latest post is by Emrys six hours earlier, regardless of how many times I press the refresh. It doesn't make any sense, it's an hour since Tero posted that!

Something's wrong.

(note: the time seen there is in Finland's time, GMT+2)

I logged on to the board a little after 3:30 EST this morning and had the same problem Sergei is reporting. But that came later. Earlier I had attempted to post a reply to the CAS thread and it took me about three tries. I could get it mentioned in the thread list on the main page, but couldn't access the post itself.

Then I went over to the Axis v. Allies thread and tried to read Tero's post, but it too wouldn't show. By this time it was about 4:15 EST and I gave up and went to bed.

Mostly I had gotten the Internal Server Error message, but a couple times I got the white screen.

Mac, OS 9.2.2, IE 5.1.4.

Michael

Originally posted by John Kettler:

I think the problem may be attributable to a raging, multihour geomagnetic storm, which is still going, happily at lower power levels. I have repeatedly observed that geomagnetic storms apparently cause all sorts of upsets in the computer and in my Internet connection. Please see www.n3kl.org for the strength plots by day.

Unlikely, John. This has been observed on multiple days, and apparently always at the same time each day.

Michael

Originally posted by WWB:

Possibly something to do with backups, usually done in the wee hours of the night, and usually causing much higher server loads. So things like CGI process can seem to time out and fail at odd times.

It would be nice if BFC would at least tell us what it is if. If it's at their host, perhaps a sysop there can explain it.

Originally posted by Soddball:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Axe2121:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Soddball:

Same again for me - it was a real stinker today too. Took me 15 minutes just to post the usual drivel.

Too bad for us you're so determined. </font>

Originally posted by CMplayer:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by WWB:

Possibly something to do with backups, usually done in the wee hours of the night, and usually causing much higher server loads. So things like CGI process can seem to time out and fail at odd times.

It would be nice if BFC would at least tell us what it is if. If it's at their host, perhaps a sysop there can explain it. </font>

Originally posted by WWB:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by CMplayer:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by WWB:

It would be nice if BFC would at least tell us what it is if. If it's at their host, perhaps a sysop there can explain it. </font>

I have to agree with CMPlayer here. It is a new and extremely annoying issue, and it is not too much to ask for a response by the owners of the forum.

I would also not like to see the US dwellers' responses if this issue cropped up at the best posting/catch-up time for them.