How does BB compare to AK?

Hello,

I have owned CM:AK for about a year now and I absolutely love it. I'm currently considering if I should buy Barbarossa to Berlin. (Actually, I'm very close to buying but would like some encouragement!) Will BB significantly enrich my CM experience or are the games too much alike?

Any comments and questions will be much appreciated.

Evzone

Evzone,

If gaming the crucial theater of the war, the theater into which the Germans put 90% of their ground combat troops of all sorts, is important to you, then get CMBB. If you hate the Eastern Front, then don't.

If being able to fight anywhere

from up by Finland to way down by Iran is important to you, then get CMBB. If you want to fight from the beginning of the War in the East to the bitter end in Germany, then get CMBB.

If your heart yearns for Katyusha strikes and flying tanks (Il-2s), get CMBB. If you feel the German armor, especially the Ferdinands, was mishandled at Kursk and think you can do better, here's your chance. If you've heard about the devastating capabilities of a Sturmtiger but don't get it, take one out for a spin and see for yourself.

If you want to know how the Red Army was able to crush the Romanians and encircle von Paulus's 6th Armee, take the Romanians on defense and see how good you really are. Don't know a Zrinyi from a Turan? Get CMBB!

If you loved Gregory Peck in Days of Glory, why not lead a partisan band of your own into battle against the hated occupier? You can do that in CMBB. See what you can do with PTRS/PTRD and Molotov cocktails!

If you want to see the long range guns at work in their element, get CMBB. Are you astute enough, as the Russian commander, to close and engage forces with longer reach than yours, without getting your force demolished in the process? Alternatively, as an early war German, can you figure out how to kill a T-34/KV-1/KV-2 while armed with ludicrously inadequate weapons?

Can you figure out, as the Russian commander, how to still fight effectively, while lacking radios

and flexible fire support? It can be done!

If you want to see and hear massed armor thunder across the steppe, get CMBB. Just don't expect to see trailing dust clouds, multiturreted land battleships (T-28/T-35), or Lend Lease Grants which perform like the ones in CMAK.

Want to see Stalins and King Tigers mix it up? Get CMBB!

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by Evzone:

Will BB significantly enrich my CM experience or are the games too much alike?

Absolutely yes.

The main differences are the lack of dust clouds in BB and the other countries that you can go in it.

There's Rumania, Hungaria, Finland along with the Italians & Germans as the Axis against the Russians, an aweful lot of Russians. For something really different you can even play with the Rumanians as the Allies against the Hungarians or Germans after they switch sides :eek: !

The Germans also come from a wide veriety of differant branches, with a long Luftwaffe Field Divisions presence and a continuous SS one throughout the campaigne. My personal favorites are the Light (Jaegar) troops.

You might also be very surprised at how the Russians vary in their equiptment and organisation to what you get in the Allies in CMAK. The coolest looking are the dark Navy clad troops, they are worth getting BB I tell you. ;)

The 76mm tank gun is undermodelled, the Stug's 80mm armour overmodelled. There is a mjor bug in the way fortification points are handled so attacks and assaults are noticeably less common types of battles. That is unless you do not mind your oppenent being given VP's by the number of inanimate things like mines , barbed wire, roadblocks , trenches etc that you buy.

Other than those caveats it is great but not as good as CMAK.

On the CMAK board you're chatting with people who have played the game continuously for two years. On the CMBB board you're chatting with people who've played the game continuously for four! (or is it five?)

THAT should tell you something about CMBB.

CMBB's definitely a different animal from CMAK to play. You'll learn to curse while using those two man turret T-34-76s. When a Lend-Lease Sherman shows up in the game its like you've ben given a freakin' übertank! Its definitely a different fighting experience. Plus you get to play with Sturmtigers.

Gentlemen, thank you for your responses. I've ordered the game and will be getting

it in the post soon. I am a dedicated, albeit new, CM user and I guess it was going to be only a matter of time before I left the African sands and the Italian boot to head for where the real battle's raging. John Kettler's point about the Eastern Front being where the primary German war effort was conducted and the arena for a number of units absent from the other theatres and that this is depicted in BB was something I wanted to hear. Also, the understanding that locations and terrain are diverse, not limited to the stretch between say Leningrad and Stalingrad, but encompassing regions further north and south, including Finland and Iran, and part of the Balkans and Germany herself to the west allayed any fears I might've had that fighting in BB takes place on some Russian steppe the whole time.

One concern I had was that gameplay would be very different, perhaps even inferior to that of CMAK, being as CMBB is the older game of the two.

Apart from the absence of smoke and the points Redwolf makes re command delays and slower movement rates, I think I can expect nothing too different from how CMAK plays and should be ready for battle after a few QBs.

And while I'm here posting I thought I would take the opportunity to make an invitation for

a PBEM. Anyone interested in a QB?

Evzone

I *think* a Lend-Lease Sherman's 75mm gun can pierce a Stug's 80mm front, something a T34's 76.2mm gun has a hard time with.

In terms of sheer fun I think I narrowly prefer CMBB to CMAK (Eastern Front is cooler). But perversely, my favorite tank in-game is the Lend Lease 76mm diesel Sherman! Go figure.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I *think* a Lend-Lease Sherman's 75mm gun can pierce a Stug's 80mm front, something a T34's 76.2mm gun has a hard time with.

In terms of sheer fun I think I narrowly prefer CMBB to CMAK (Eastern Front is cooler). But perversely, my favorite tank in-game is the Lend Lease 76mm diesel Sherman! Go figure.

I think thats becuse the 76mm gun is undermodelled.