Tigar Tanks

Through history classes, movies and books we are told that the tigar tank and later the knig tigat(tigar 2) were unvuable unless shot up the arse.

Now in CMBB put a Tigar up agaisnt a T34 and most lilky the T34 would win just from shooting it from the front.

Now is it the myth behind the tigars is wrong or is it a fault with the game?

posted February 21, 2003 08:34 AM                      

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Through history classes, movies and books we are told that the tigar tank and later the knig tigat(tigar 2) were unvuable unless shot up the arse.

Now in CMBB put a Tigar up agaisnt a T34 and most lilky the T34 would win just from shooting it from the front

Whats the distance and experience of crews ?

I have to say i beg to differ

Regards

J Lad

ps

Was this a 1 off ?

No, the Tiger and Kingtiger were not invulnerable, only very tough. Many late-war Soviet guns could penetrate their armour from the front, but of course it was easier from the side or rear.

Now in CMBB put a Tigar up agaisnt a T34 and most lilky the T34 would win just from shooting it from the front.
In my experience, a T-34 or T-34/85 (and most other soviet tanks) almost always get KO'ed if it is fighting a Tiger from the front.

Originally posted by Snake Eyes:

I only purchase T***** tanks now. The most wonderful thing about T*****s, is T*****s are wonderful things. :D

I kindly but firmly ask you to edit your post to remove the T-words, and to refrain from using the T-word ever again. It is racist. If you have to, you could call them as Tigroes, but preferable would be to use "our striped friends from Germany".

Originally posted by engima2003:

Now is it the myth behind the tigars is wrong or is it a fault with the game?

The myth is wrong. No tank is invincible. The game's armour modelling is second to none in terms of accuracy.

i was asking a serios question about "our striped friends from Germany" lol. (The Tigars)

I just would like to know that is all, i wasnt making a joke or being idiotic i was just askin.

smile.gif

Pay no attention to my froth-cheeked chums, Mr Egnmai.

Basically, no tank is invincible. The Tiger in 1942 is pretty close to invincible, as is the KV-1 in 1941. The King Tiger isn't invincible, but it is pretty tough. It also suffers from a very slow rate for turret turn. Some of the T-34s (T34-85) should be able to give the KT a shock.

You'll find as you play the game that there are some real surprises. The lowly StuG III, much derided and disliked in CM:BO as inferior to the late Panzer IV, really proves its value in this game. I have had StuGs knock out IS-2s at 500m or greater range. It is, however, a victim of bogging and wet ground.

i was asking a serios question about "our striped friends from Germany" lol. (The Tigars)

I just would like to know that is all, i wasnt making a joke or being idiotic i was just askin.

No offense intended, just having a little fun. Probably the most wonderful thing about Tigers was the training the crews received. If a crew did not perform well in training they were washed out. Their skill on the battlefield plus the power of the Tiger's 88/L56 was a lethal combination. I would say that most Tiger crews, especially in 1943, should be crack or elite. Nonetheless, it is not a good idea to stand and trade shots with any enemy tank. Bad things can happen to any AFV when hit by all but the smallest rounds. Consider good armor as insurance to be used in conjunction with sound tactics. Whoever hits first has the advantage.

Well i have to say this is the quickest responce i have ever had on a forum.

I always have my tigars crews at crack or above and for some reson i always have them as Waffen SS.

I only raised the question because if you have ever seen a film which feature the tigars the tank crews of the allies always **** one and flee. But this as some pppl have said is just the myth which is wrong.

But could the myth exist because they were just hard nuts from the front?

Tiger I had good armor and a very good gun. Allied tanks for much of the war had crappy guns (U.S. 75, Russian 7.62). For awhile it was no contest. After the Tiger made its presence felt Allied guns were designed specifically to counter the Tiger threat and the Tiger I's star started to set after that.

Tiger II is another matter. The Western Front never had much to counter it, the Russians had a bit more firepower in that regard.

Flaming knives - english is my first langauge as iam english!!! The only reason for any typo's is because i when iam in a hurry i type fast

fast typing = spelling mistakes

Spelling mistakes = ppl pick on me - why?

If ppl moan or pick on me about spelling mistakes i dont give a crap, thats just them being rather sad if there gonner piss at me about.

Now if i have made a cock up of a word and they correct me i dont mind.

Ok?

Enigma,

I suggest you do some reading here:

Russian battlefield

Check out the "in action" and the comparison to German tanks for the IS series.

What you´ve heard about the Tiger is mainly a myth. in CMBB open the unit info screen (press Return when having selected a vehicle) and check and compare German armor with penetration values for the Russian tank guns you´ll be facing. This should give you a rough idea about capabilities although even a shell which can´t penetrate might be able to do serious damage by knocking out your gun etc.

Nolloff

Well i have to say this is the quickest responce i have ever had on a forum.

I always have my tigars crews at crack or above and for some reson i always have them as Waffen SS.

I only raised the question because if you have ever seen a film which feature the tigars the tank crews of the allies always **** one and flee. But this as some pppl have said is just the myth which is wrong.

But could the myth exist because they were just hard nuts from the front?

Nobody's saying that Tigers and King Tiger's aren't good. What you asked was whether they were invincible, and the answer is no. On the western front, the British Sherman Firefly and the American Hellcat had the measure of the Tiger gun for gun, but the Tiger's armour allowed it to outlive its allied opponents.

You can beat the Tiger by getting it out of its natural terrain. Fight it in close quarters, such as towns, cities, woodland. Make sure the weather's wet or the ground is damp and your chances will improve. Keep close in and aim for flank or rear shots to improve your chances.

english is my first langauge as iam english!!! The only reason for any typo's is because i when iam in a hurry i type fast
I m sure no offence is meant flaming s a bit techy today :D as snake eyes says the first to shoot has the advantage,you may damage the gun for instance.

However to your question i would say in my exprience 9 times out of 10 if played correctly a tiger would destroy a T34 in a stand off especialy at distance.

Hope it helps

J Lad

PS Flaming i want my speak and spell back now you said you only wanted it for 1 month that was in 1983 :rolleyes:

Flaming knives - english is my first langauge as iam english!!! The only reason for any typo's is because i when iam in a hurry i type fast

fast typing = spelling mistakes

Spelling mistakes = ppl pick on me - why?

If ppl moan or pick on me about spelling mistakes i dont give a crap, thats just them being rather sad if there gonner piss at me about.

Now if i have made a cock up of a word and they correct me i dont mind.

Ok?

Here at the Forum (with a capital F), we like to look for as high a standard of spelling and grammar as possible. If you don't make an effort to make yourself understood, you can't expect sensible answers. We're not effete snobs - just snobs.