CM war stories

I would like you all to tell just one of your most interesting stories about playing CM, I love to see amazing results from good game play, just share your personal favorite moment when things went your way or when you did a great move against a worthy adversary. And I bet some of you have screen shots of them moments also.

For some, maybe this could be a place to tell that sad story of how someone did you in. But do tell, get it off your chest.

I have been playing PBEM for about 6 months now and just love the thrill of moments when you outplay someone that you feel is a good player, so share, please don't be modest tongue.gif

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My CM war story:

I recall I was playing a home-made scenario: Two Brumbars, infantry, artillery support, even a Sturmtiger showing up on turn 5 - fighting to cross a city bridge and expanse of highway at dawn. The Russians had no tanks, My Sturmtiger had a clear field of fire, I was playing against the AI ...and I STILL managed to lose the game! Yikes! It wasn't a pretty picture.

I was playing Operation Mobile Defense and was able to use the Puma armored cars with the 50mm L/60 to great effect, destroying much of the Russian tank force in a point blank, narrow-angle ambush. I inflicted such heavy losses during the first battle that I was able to destroy 58 Russian AFVs while losing only 4 of my own after the entire engagement played out.

I just have to post this turn again. This is a t34/85 firing at a panther, the shot bounces and knocks out another t34/85 right next to it! Want to an example of how ingenius the physics are in this game? Watch this turn.

Here is the to the turn: http://www.the111.com/rockmacrowIII071.txt

password is "303"

The action happens at 59-60 seconds.

Originally posted by Walpurgis Nacht:

I just have to post this turn again. This is a t34/85 firing at a panther, the shot bounces and knocks out another t34/85 right next to it! Want to an example of how ingenius the physics are in this game? Watch this turn.

password is "303"

:eek: :eek: :eek: something you don´t see everyday in the battlefield :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm not sure how that tank got knocked out, but I can clearly see the shell bounce up and going over the house and away.

There were two shots fired, one penetrated and the other bounces off and goes up over the house.

I thought at first the panther just missed its target and hit the other one, but it didn't even shoot at that time.

lee

I just finished a pbem game where I had a Marder covering a straight shot down a tree-lined road in light fog. suddenly a T34 appears 200m away charging right toward it. The Marder fired and hit (shocking it according to my opponent) but the T34 drove right through my Marder like it was a ghost. Then, realizing the situation it was in, it stopped about 25m past the Marder. the T34 then backed up in reverse, nudged my Marder to the side of the road and pulled off the road into the trees before the movie ended. I blew the T34 away next turn.

slysniper wrote- I love to see amazing results from good game play
This has nothing to do with good game-play, but my first PBEM mission, while I was elsewhere getting kicked but good, a crew and a leader assaulted a flamethrowing KV and destroyed it with a grenade.

What made it amazing was that:

A) The assaulting units lived to get close enough;

B) That they did something useful, having gotten close enough;

C) That the KV didn't roast them, as it had roasted everyone else to that point.

Still got kicked, but good.

Nik

Playing defence in a CMAK QB, I used a sniper recce the rear lines of my opponent. There had been an arty drop with one suspicous hill which may have held the spotter. He found 5 of them, including one of 240mm. 3 were easy kills but 2 were on a different hill with no cover leading to it. By this time my opponent had a HT desperately trying to find my guy. So 1 round of 3" arty fire spooked them to his side of the hill. I reckon he took out over 1000 points for me.

Other Means

Thats a Fantastic sniper account. That was a one timer. I have never come close to doing that well with a sniper in the game, And I should know how to use a sniper since that was my real world MOS. I bet the Guy you was playing will never forget that one either.

One Shot - One Kill, Hurrah!!!

Originally posted by Walpurgis Nacht:

password is "303"

Looks like it was hit by a different tank, because there was a few seconds between the time the Pathers shot hit the ground and the other shell hit the T-34 beside the intended target.

I agree with LeeW re the ricochet kill - whatever killed that tank wasn't the ricochet.

Point one - that t-34 takes the hit and starts bailing out before the ricochet message comes up - the shell hasn't actually reached the panther yet (the 'hit' sparks appear onthe t-34 before the panther too).

Point two - the t-34 that dies, a few seconds earlier is buttoned by coming under MG or small arms fire, which doesn't come from the Panther. It is being targetted by a second unit.

Point three - you can watch where the ricochet shell goes. It heads off over the river. In the last second, a second Panther appears on the far side of the river. Lock on to that unit, turn to look towards the fight, and watch from view '4'. You quite clearly see the shell head off to your right. That t-34 was taken out by an un-spotted tank or AT gun (or TD, take your pick), not by the ricochet.

[ May 01, 2005, 04:49 AM: Message edited by: vulture ]

Lets keep to the subject, I did not ask for commentaries of others play, I asked for personnal submittals, At least Walpurgis gave us something to watch, others just want to comment on that. How about telling us about one of your matches or plays. I would love to post a few turns but have no clue how to do it.

A most satisfying kill...Playing against AI. I was the Russians and a Tiger had knocked out four of my T-34s. In doing so the Tiger moved down into this depression next to some woods. I rushed a tank killing team to the patch of woods. On the next turn the tank killers threw a shape charge grenade or something at the Tiger. It took a high arch and landed on the back deck of the Tiger. There was the satisfying sound of bang, and the Tiger caught fire. The crew bailed out and were not taken as prisoners by the Russians.

I think my most satisfying string of victories was in the CMBB scenario "A Warm Place to Sleep" in which a weakened German armor/mechanized force consisting mostly of Pzkpfw. IIIs and 38(t)s needs to capture a Russian farmhouse in order to escape the cold. The Russians counterattack with a mixed armored force including some T-34/1940s and due to lucky positioning an panic under fire by the AI, the strongest part of their force charged right past my lead ambushing 38t and got taken out with 37mm shells to the rear.

One of my most memorable CM moments is occurring in a PBEM game I'm playing right now in CMAK.

At Anzio. The German armor has been destroyed by my ATG's and now their infantry is attacking unsupported. In the center a -huge- force of German infantry is advancing on an American platoon. They will surely be overrun. Artillery is called in and huge shells of 150mm and 107mm are falling less than 50 meters away from the U.S. positions, and giving Jerry hell. It was simply amazing watching this horde of Teutonic warriors coming at me and then disappearing in these huge fireballs. The most amazing thing is that I can still see German infantry advancing through the barrage! It's beautiful I tell you.

In a recent game against human opponent a platoon of Panthers totally ripped apart a heavily armored left flank of Soviet advance.

The most kills where scored by this cat .

It was simply tearing apart the Soviet armor, winning the battle almost singlehandedly. Apparently it had nine lives as my opponent couldn't do nothing about it.

I won't disclose the name of scenario, as the picture contains spoilers, but i would recomend this scenario for excellent two player game. If you want to know the name of scenario, feel free to mail me. And big thanks to the Jagger, the author of this scenario.