Biltong's Campaign Rules goes 'GOLD'!!

Question to anyone in the know...

As everyone knows many of the key small battles in the East involved river crossings, bridge defenses. Those also happen to be some of my favorite things to play out.

Is there any chance of getting such battles with the current map pack???

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Downloaded it. Tried it. Did not work. Installed newest version of Java(1.4.1). Still did not work.

I got i quite obscure error-message that i can't seem to figure out:

D:\games\biltaid>C:\Program\Java\j2re1.4.1_02\bin\java -classpath jprintf.jar;jc

alendar.jar;resources;classes cmbbcampaign.CMBBAidUi

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError

at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)

at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)

at utl.jci.jcitable.JciTable.class$(JciTable.java:66)

at utl.jci.jcitable.JciTable.<init>(JciTable.java:312)

at cmbbcampaign.BattleGroupTable.<init>(BattleGroupTable.java:34)

at cmbbcampaign.CMBBAidUi.buildFrame(CMBBAidUi.java:601)

at cmbbcampaign.CMBBAidUi.<init>(CMBBAidUi.java:128)

at cmbbcampaign.CMBBAidUi.main(CMBBAidUi.java:1304)

Caused by: java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for base name u

tl.JciDateResErr, locale sv_SE

at java.util.ResourceBundle.throwMissingResourceException(Unknown Source

)

at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundleImpl(Unknown Source)

at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundle(Unknown Source)

at utl.utl.utlresourcemgr.UtlResMgr.<init>(UtlResMgr.java:38)

at utl.jci.jcidate.JciDatetimeFormatter.<clinit>(JciDatetimeFormatter.ja

va:24)

... 8 more

Any idea what might be wrong here? Missing resource is what sticks out of that error-message i think.

Hi Stereo Mike,

I think you unzipped the files without telling zip to use directory information. It's in the readme, but unfortuantely the readme is IN the zip so it might have been too late at that point to be of any help.

The quick way to tell if you did it right? Check in the directory that you copied the zip file to. Do you have a handful of directories and a handful of files there? Good, you did it right. Do you have a few hundred .class files in there? You unzipped it wrong. Delete everything except the zip and start over but this time extract keeping directory info.

Hope this helps. Keep me posted.

> Peter, are you going to make an announcement on > a seperate thread? I think a lot of people are > going to be pretty excited about this...

I think we'll just keep it in here for now and see if the first few people like it and are able to get it going.

Stereo Mike just helped me find a problem that people outside of US/Canada/UK will probably have.

I don't want to do a patch just for this so I'm posting the fix here....

1. Go to the directory where you unzipped the file and then descend to the resources/utl directory.

2. There's on file in there that has a "_en.properties" at the end of its name. Take the "_en" away so it looks more like the other files.

Just started it up-everything seems fine. It looks great, in fact!

I'll let you know if there are any quirks I run into. This will be the first BCR game I have embarked upon-I don't know whether I would have been able to undertake it without Biltaid (I love the name-sounds medicine-ey).

Alrighty then, here we go... quick question

If some of my squads hit 25 experience points therefore becoming veterans.. how do I model this? Obviously I cant buy an entire veteran company... and if I buy a veteran platoon it may be off as well, as other squads in the platoon may not be veterans or even close. Also if I did this (by each platoon) then another problem would be that I would lose my heavy weapons platoon from buying the regular company...

Any takers?

Yeah, it's a tough one. You have to compromise a bit.

If you have enough points to do it you can try this. Buy your company at the average level, then buy your veteran platoon. At the start of the game you move one platoon from the original company off the map - your veteran platoon takes their place in the company.

But usually, you won't have enough leeway point-wise to get away with it, so I think most people just buy a company at the average level for all 3 companies.

A quick message for anyone who downloaded Biltaid today. I just fooled around with it tonight (as a user..playing my own campaign...yay!!!) and I noticed a pretty massive bug. Basically you can't get a 2nd battle generated.

Sooo.....use it to generate one battle, enter your results and then SAVE your campaign. DON'T hit advance!

I know what it is and I'll have a patch out for this and one other problem before I go to bed tonight.

Apologies...I should have caught this one.

<Sigh> First patch already. I just sent out Biltaid v1.0.1 a few minutes ago.

If you're using the earlier one, be on the lookout for 2 bugs which I fixed:

1) The earlier version doesn't run properly out of the box on computers whose locale is not set to something that has english as the primary language...so basically anyone outside of US, Canada, England, Australia...The work-around is pretty trvial and is posted in an earlier message.

2) If you're loading a saved file for your first battle, enter your results and advance to the next battle - if an immediate counterattack/followup is not generated, then there is a very good chance (depends on your favor from the first battle) that you won't be able to succesfully generate any more battles.

Hopefully the patch (version 1.0.1) will be posted soon. If you can't get it off the sites and absolutely want to play it, you can send me a quick message to get an e-mail delivery.

Originally posted by Sublime:

Alrighty then, here we go... quick question

If some of my squads hit 25 experience points therefore becoming veterans.. how do I model this? Obviously I cant buy an entire veteran company... and if I buy a veteran platoon it may be off as well, as other squads in the platoon may not be veterans or even close. Also if I did this (by each platoon) then another problem would be that I would lose my heavy weapons platoon from buying the regular company...

Any takers?

What I do is load a new scenario. Buy my men and generate a random map in the scenario editor. Delete all flags and deployment zones. Then load a QB and import the map and units from the file. Easy as. Comp takes care of the rest. If some of my men gain or lose exp. I just change the individual exp for the unit in the scenario editor and repeat the process over.

What happened with the Pure Armor battle(s)? - difficult by the sounds of it. Defence should be reasonably easy?

Biltong [/QB]

I WAS defending! But I was steam rolled by two platoons of T-34's. No chance when your main guns are 50 mm and 75 mm. (Alright maybe the 75 mm, maybe). I say ditch pure armour. It's not really realistic having tanks prance around the front lines without some inf in support. At least with the inf. I can hide and throw tonnes of explosives on em!

My hate list.....

-T34's

-Artillery Barrages

-Assaulting a force double yours in size at night in a blizzard.

-Having to face a battallion of Inf of low quality and unfit who are assaulting you in a blizard. The AI is stupid they never reach you.

-Pure Armour Battles

-That stupid Battallion Commander who sent me to assault a soviet position at night in a blizzard.

Yeah, I'm having fun :D

Peterk, I ran a small test and came up with an immediate suggestion:

I selected File > New > Default and found that I could not edit my own experience. It was set at Normal and I use Green.

I then tried setting up a custom campaign, and found that I had to enter all the units manually.

It would be useful to have the ability to either import the default unit set during the custom campaign setup, or edit the player setting.

Or both smile.gif

You might well want to change the player setting inside a campaign between battles.

Actually, Biltong suggests somewhere in his mass of rules that you can, if you prefer, change your battle group during a campaign. Within reasonable limits ofc. Would it throw the program completely off to allow editing of the battle group units during a campaign?

[ March 03, 2003, 05:34 AM: Message edited by: Robert Olesen ]