Tank Hunter tactics

Can someone shed some light on why tank hunters insist on lobbing all their useless molotov cocktails at enemy tanks before resorting to the much more deadly grenade bundle? This usually results in setting some grass on fire and having the tank crew gun your tank hunters down before they can actually lob the grenade bundle. Also how accurately modelled are these things. Did grenade bundles get used a lot and where they as deadly as they appear to be?

I think the only folks that can answer this question work at BFC. Many a time have I lost a perfectly good tank hunter team to a tank that just turns its main cannon and BOOM...two dead tank hunters. That grenade bundle must be in the bushes somewhere...Oh! Here it is next to the two dead bodies!

German Grenade bundles (as opposed to normal grenades) aren't actually thrown, though that's what the game animation shows. Instead imagine one of those unseen nine squad members makes a break for the tank, shoves the grenade bundle under the turret bustle, pulls the pin, then scampers back to safety. Sounds dangerous! No wonder they try their luck with chucking molotovs at a distance before attempting that stunt!

Grenade bundles can be thrown IRL. Or put under track, or whatever. It all depends on the weight of the thing. For example, here's some stuff about Finnish satchel charges and molotovs. They ranged in weight between 1kg and 10kg. The target wasn't the turret but the engine, as that was easier to hit and more likely to either destroy or stop the vehicle.

The movie was done on a Mac with SnapzPro and optimised in QuickTime in OSX

The lobbed Molotov was obviously unsuccessful but the grenade bundle worked at an indicated 30m. Incidendently it was 'thrown' by a lone survivor from a two-man tank hunter team.

Originally posted by jrrich0000:

FRAPS. www.fraps.com

FRAPS is a program that allows one to make movies from one's games, etc. As I understand it, it captures each frame to a file which is formatted as .AVI(?)

Hope this helps.

I have FRAPS and its a good product.. Yes it does make an AVI and you can edit it.. Just beware that it creates really huge files... 60 second CM turn I have seen as 621 MB... :eek:

and also if you dont have a high end processor it wont run that great.. I would say a 2.5 and above plus you need XP or 2000... It will let you adjust to FPS and 1/2 or full screen files...

Hope that helps...

-FR

Originally posted by Fredrock1957:

....60 second CM turn I have seen as 621 MB... :eek:

and also if you dont have a high end processor it wont run that great.. I would say a 2.5 and above plus you need XP or 2000

-FR

Good grief! Well, thanks anyway smile.gif