What Troops are these?

Definitely NOT bullet proof vests.

They were known as "ЧЕРЕПАХОВЫЙ" troops or turtle troops. When these units were on grassy or muddy hills they would assault the German lines by sliding down the hill on their bellies. There was also a winterized version for snowy terrain. The white variant was much more widely distributed. A winterized mod will be posted at CMMODS soon.

Originally posted by General Colt:

Definitely NOT bullet proof vests.

They were known as "ЧЕРЕПАХОВЫЙ" troops or turtle troops. When these units were on grassy or muddy hills they would assault the German lines by sliding down the hill on their bellies. There was also a winterized version for snowy terrain. The white variant was much more widely distributed. A winterized mod will be posted at CMMODS soon.

Ha ha! The Soviets never disappoint.

This is what an online-translation service says:

Headline:

The fighter of engineering-assault parts RVGK

Pic1:

Guardsmen-shturmoviki of 1-st SHISBr. 1-st Belarus front, summer 1944

Pic2:

Guards the senior sergeant Bogotnikov, 1-st Belarus front, summer 1944

We just had a long discussion on those armored pioneers over at the CMMC2 forums. I'll check if some of the information dug up can be released to the public.

The short story is that those troops are assault engineers specialized in taking out heavily fortified defences. :cool:

Originally posted by Crinius:

Are these bullet proof vests? And what kind of troops are these?

http://rkka.ru/uniform/files/arm3.htm

These are "ShISBr". "Shturmovie Inzhenernye-Sapernye Brigady".

Closest terms are "Assault Engineers" or "Sturmpioneeren".

An assault team, trained to use SMG, high explosives, flamethrowers and to perform assaults onto heavy fortification/defended buidings in cityfights. They were also trained in the melee combat.

Another group of pics is here:

http://fortress.vif2.ru/biblio/shisbr/

The armor plate protecting forward body, shown at the photo, had different feeling among this troops.

Those who fought at the open field, strongly disliked it and tend not to use it.

Those who fought in the cities, liked it and used it.

Originally posted by rum:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Crinius:

Are these bullet proof vests? And what kind of troops are these?

http://rkka.ru/uniform/files/arm3.htm

These are "ShISBr". "Shturmovie Inzhenernye-Sapernye Brigady".

Closest terms are "Assault Engineers" or "Sturmpioneeren".

An assault team, trained to use SMG, high explosives, flamethrowers and to perform assaults onto heavy fortification/defended buidings in cityfights. They were also trained in the melee combat.

Another group of pics is here:

http://fortress.vif2.ru/biblio/shisbr/

The armor plate protecting forward body, shown at the photo, had different feeling among this troops.

Those who fought at the open field, strongly disliked it and tend not to use it.

Those who fought in the cities, liked it and used it. </font>

I wouldn't want to be wearing that outfit for hand-to-hand comabt - seems like it would slow you down too much.

Originally posted by rum:

[some snippage by Brent] They were also trained in the melee combat.

Those who fought in the cities, liked it and used it. [/QB]

I would rather wear it in close range city fighting than while I'm running across the bare steppe. But I think it would be more effective at long range. After all, at close range, a bullet would still have enough power to punch through the armor, and it wouldn't protect against being hit in the head with a rifle butt. Whereas at long range, you're more likely to get hit with shrapnel, which I would imagine the armor could handle better.

I think you would expect a far higher number of ricochets in a city setting so I can see why it might be useful for that. Also it may have the ability to protect against bladed weapons, and perhaps most importantly if I wish to fling myself to the ground quickly I do not wish to check for rubble and glass. A punctured lung or broken ribs being more likely than when throwing yourself onto vegetation : )