PC Gamer......Trotter mentions CMAK!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

Tracks look nice and crisp and well-modeled.

But really, I was hoping for the early version of the Stuart with the two fixed MGs in the hull.

Michael

Isn't the middle vehicle that version? It has the round opennings in the front of the sponsons which were IIRC, for the MGs.

I hope that alternative turret versions will be available for the M3 Lee/Grant?

MadMatt should ban himself from the forum for being such a cruel, evil, sadistic, mean, delivering when its ready, who obviously enjoys teasing the poor impatient innocents of the wargaming community type person. Next thing you know he will be throwing us a 15 second trailer of a 88 blasting some thin skinned British tank. tongue.gifsmile.gif just to rub salt in the wound smile.gif

Originally posted by Private Bluebottle:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

Tracks look nice and crisp and well-modeled.

But really, I was hoping for the early version of the Stuart with the two fixed MGs in the hull.

Michael

Isn't the middle vehicle that version? It has the round opennings in the front of the sponsons which were IIRC, for the MGs.</font>

It was Brits who first named it after General Grant, then the Americans thought "hey that's a good idea, let's call it after a civil war general!" and so they ended up... naming it General Lee. And those are Yank tanks in the shot...

I really don't understand why it couldn't have been Grant for both, though. Maybe it was some Southerner in the US Army Dept. responsible of that?

[ August 20, 2003, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: Sergei ]

Originally posted by Sergei:

It was Brits who first named it after General Grant, then the Americans thought "hey that's a good idea, let's call it after a civil war general!" and so they ended up... naming it General Lee. And those are Yank tanks in the shot...

I really don't understand why it couldn't have been Grant for both, though. Maybe it was some Southerner in the US Army Dept. responsible of that?

Nope. Credit the Brits with both names. After Dunkirk and before Lend Lease came into being the British wished to purchase tanks from America. Initially they wished to have existing British designs built and supplied but fortunately smile.gif the Americans said no. Take the designs we're tooling up for or forget it. The British therefore purchased the M3 with a re-designed turret containing a radio (in line with British practices at the time)which they called Grant. When Lend Lease kicked off the Americans supplied tanks above and beyond the original orders and built to the American standard (with the radio in the hull) which they called Lee. Hence the names and the two different turrets.

As far as I know the Brits also named the Sherman and the Stuart althought I stand ready to be corrected on that assertion. All the American tank names that followed in a similar vein are carrying on the British names like the Pershing and so on.

Good job we didn't call them something really silly :D

[explanation]Well yes I knew that, I was just trying to confuse everyone so that Madmatt would come along and show the other models to explain what the real difference was... [j'accuse]Now because of you guys we won't be having more bones until it's ready, thanks for that![/j'accuse][/explanation]

tongue.gif

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

He always hides his small bones in the most obscure places! We need an official 'bone dog' to sniff them out for the rest of the civilized CM world!

Chad

The original poster would be doing us all a favour if he edited the subject heading so more people would realize what this thread contains... </font>

Originally posted by Doodlebug:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sergei:

Nope. Credit the Brits with both names. After Dunkirk and before Lend Lease came into being the British wished to purchase tanks from America. Initially they wished to have existing British designs built and supplied but fortunately smile.gif the Americans said no. Take the designs we're tooling up for or forget it. The British therefore purchased the M3 with a re-designed turret containing a radio (in line with British practices at the time)which they called Grant. When Lend Lease kicked off the Americans supplied tanks above and beyond the original orders and built to the American standard (with the radio in the hull) which they called Lee. Hence the names and the two different turrets.

As far as I know the Brits also named the Sherman and the Stuart althought I stand ready to be corrected on that assertion. All the American tank names that followed in a similar vein are carrying on the British names like the Pershing and so on.

Good job we didn't call them something really silly :D </font>

Originally posted by Doodlebug:

Good job we didn't call them something really silly :D

Dunno about that. The Brits renamed the Stuart to the "Honey" (because it was such a sweet tank --- really!), and the only name I know of that they gave the Sherman was "Ronson" (and that ain't a complement).

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Ha ha. From the look of that Grant screenshot CMAK players are going to quickly form a renewed appreciation of Sherman! Imagine fighting Tigers in those rattle-traps? ...another few months and people won't have to imagine!

Actually, I was thinking about how the Sherman was the Tiger of the Western Desert, back when the Brits first fielded them in '42.

Gonna be funny seeing a Sherman on the field, and have the German player go "oh, sh*t!", instead of the Allied player being the one cursing it out...