PC Gamer......Trotter mentions CMAK!

AFAIK "Honey" and "Ronson" were appelations applied by troops in the field. The "civil war generals" names series was of British ordnance department origin. The US Army originally referred to its vehicles by "M-series" names, leading to a lot of confusion, since there were simultaneous M-3 lights and medium tanks, M-3 halftracks, M-1 Garands and carbines, etc. The Brits helped sort it all out rather nicely and gave us a lasting legacy to boot.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, odd things about those Stuarts there, the one on the left has the british style octagonal turret with coupola, but US markings. I do know the Brits had plated over the side MG ports a lot earlier than the us Americans. Hopefully those mantlets get corrected before shipping.

Yet, I'm just nit picking...they DO look really nice and I can't wait to unleash all my favorite Civil War themed armor upon some unsuspecting Panzer I and II's.

-Hans

I'm guessing that the mantlets are hexes because all us old time gamers bitched and moaned so much about there not being any hexes in CMBO or CMBB.

Well, that or it's got something to do with the reason the wheels on that Italian truck are the shape they are ... ;)

[ August 20, 2003, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: JonS ]

Incidentally, here's another pic of that italian truck from page 1 of this thread ...

0_DA-11574.scrn

Caption:

Record Title: Brigadier Howard Karl Kippenberger and Captain Allan McPhail examining a captured Italian 90mm AA gun

Display Dates July 1942

Collection Record War History Collection :Photographs relating to World War 1939-1945, the occupation of Japan, the Korean War, and the Malaysian emergency (PAColl-4161)

Scope and Contents: Brigadier Howard Karl Kippenberger and Captain Allan McPhail examining a captured Italian 90mm AA gun, one of 44 guns belonging to Ariete Division, captured on 4 July 1942. The gun barrel had been blown by New Zealand sappers. Photograph taken by Driver Ross in July 1942.

Places: Alam Nayil

0_DA-11207.scrn

Think you can mod that Andrew? ;)

Regards

JonS

[ August 21, 2003, 02:06 AM: Message edited by: JonS ]

The tanks are beautiful, the truck amazing, but I was also pleased to see palm (date palm?) trees and desert grasses. Looking forward to experimenting with a new, or at least enhanced, terrain.

Also thinking, a Pacific War CM featuring jungle vegetation would be cool. I know armour buffs would find it boring, but considering what a hard slog it was on those fortified islands I figure it would be quite challenging for infantry enthusiasts.

And while I'm at it, I think an Ethiopian/Italian CM would be cool too, though perhaps something best left to modders working with CMAK.

But all in all, I think I would be happy with ANY new CM Battlefront comes up with. CMBO & CMBB are just superb. I don't play anything else.

Well thank you Madmatt

I must say its a very nice looking Italian truck with 90mm! Thanks again my faith in BFC is restored. I will put that Close Combat disc back on the bottom shelf

Hey Siege 13285, what are you a Hans too? Probably a German or American wanna be Hans I bet. Sorry We partially Danish Hanses are arrogantly superior and therefore deserve the name more.

I was about a year and half faster than you....

Wonderful screen shots, very nicely done. Funny, though - everyone is noticing the Stuart's hexagonal mantlet, and no one has said anything about the truck's tires.....

One other question (grog alert!) about the tanks. I realize these are early, unfinished, to be improved, etc. pics, but did anyone else notice anything odd about the tracks on the three tanks? The Stuart in the center seems to have the late war US cleated tracks, while the two end vehicles seem to have what look like German Pz III/IV type tracks.

My recollection (sorry, all my reference books have been packed for an impending move) was that all early war US tracked vehicles used a solid rubber block track, with connectors between the blocks. The various metal pattern tracks came later in the war, and I don't ever recall US tanks as having tracks with the kind of open spaces that are seen on both the end tanks.

Don't mean to seem picky here, these are gorgeous pics, and I'm as glad for the bones as anyone. Just curious. Any thoughts from the community?

Originally posted by JonS:

Incidentally, here's another pic of that italian truck from page 1 of this thread ...

0_DA-11574.scrn

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Caption:

Record Title: Brigadier Howard Karl Kippenberger and Captain Allan McPhail examining a captured Italian 90mm AA gun

Display Dates July 1942

Collection Record War History Collection :Photographs relating to World War 1939-1945, the occupation of Japan, the Korean War, and the Malaysian emergency (PAColl-4161)

Scope and Contents: Brigadier Howard Karl Kippenberger and Captain Allan McPhail examining a captured Italian 90mm AA gun, one of 44 guns belonging to Ariete Division, captured on 4 July 1942. The gun barrel had been blown by New Zealand sappers. Photograph taken by Driver Ross in July 1942.

Places: Alam Nayil

0_DA-11207.scrn

Think you can mod that Andrew? ;)

Regards

JonS </font>

Hi all!

Glad you like the screen shots. They'll be more of this stuff to come in the near future as we get closer to shipping it. Now some quick answers to the various Stuart points brought up:

As for M3 points... I saw one about the mantlet's shape being hexagonal vs. round. Well, that was just done for polygon savings as far as I know. That isn't changing.

The first production model of the Stuart, simply M3, was used by the US in small numbers. So it is correct to see it with US markings, although it is not one of the more numberous US tanks in the theater. AFAIK the only Stuart not to see service with US forces was the M3A3.

There were minor variations within production runs, and between US and Brit vehicles, that are superficial and do not need to be portrayed in CMAK.

Hope that helps!

Steve

Originally posted by Thomas Goetz:

Wonderful screen shots, very nicely done. Funny, though - everyone is noticing the Stuart's hexagonal mantlet, and no one has said anything about the truck's tires.....

One other question (grog alert!) about the tanks. I realize these are early, unfinished, to be improved, etc. pics, but did anyone else notice anything odd about the tracks on the three tanks? The Stuart in the center seems to have the late war US cleated tracks, while the two end vehicles seem to have what look like German Pz III/IV type tracks.

My recollection (sorry, all my reference books have been packed for an impending move) was that all early war US tracked vehicles used a solid rubber block track, with connectors between the blocks. The various metal pattern tracks came later in the war, and I don't ever recall US tanks as having tracks with the kind of open spaces that are seen on both the end tanks.

Don't mean to seem picky here, these are gorgeous pics, and I'm as glad for the bones as anyone. Just curious. Any thoughts from the community?

The tracks are obviusly one of the works in progress. They could also be CDP (Canadian Dry Pin) but I doubt they were used on US M3 tanks.