Please close this topic.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ulberegeaelurff I want damage skins for forest and also require properly modelled mine dogs and I'm tired of the houses where soldiers just run through the WALLS i mean how realistic is that they make holes in walls pretty fast and then

And 15 year old bicycle troopers with shcreks in -45 who are sent to do their duty to the fatherland.

also u must be able to capture bicycles and use them on ur troops to move along roads faster

and mountain bikes are fast in forest downhill too

that would be expensive unit tho

finns should have combat reindeer i mean what kind of a ww2 simulation r these guyz making anyway

[/jk]

Wouldnt mind on map indirect fire (from guns) but it would probably unbalance the game too much.

AT obstacles can already be aproximated by roadblocks but I guess they would look nice.

Train stations would be cool but only as another building type.

Unusually Wooden : Yes bicycles would be a realistic touch,I knew an elderly lady last year from a village just outside Tallinn and eagerly asked her to tell me what it was like when the panzers rolled through in 1941 en route for Leningrad."Oh,we never saw any tanks,only a few Germans on bicycles" she replied...

Certainly. I live in the Netherlands. The Germans collected every available bicycle for war purposes. It's still folklore in the Netherlands to say to a German :

"Hé du, gib mir meinen fahrrad zurruck !" (Hey you, give back my bicycle!)

Holland is famous for it's bicycles ;)

Originally posted by eichenbaum:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by GJK:

Bulldozers? Why? A battle is maybe 30 min to an hour or so of action, what are you going to build with a bulldozer?

Just curious....

Removing roadblocks ? If you have a 2 hour operation why not pionieren with their equipment ? </font>

While some things are lacking, I remind people: get creative with the tools you have. Lots can be done with a little imagination.

Horses, Motorcycles, Bycicles
Were generally not used in frontline combat. They also present a few modeling problems, namely CM models individual vehicles but not individual soldiers, making it hard to put people on bikes/horses.

Then there is that equine AI issue. How exactly does a horse respond to artillery fire?

AT barriers
Try rough terrain. Works like a charm and has the proper simulation aspects--imapssible to vehicles, good cover for infantry.

Bulldozers
It might be cool if roadblocks would clear between battles, but we dont need to model dozers. AFAIK they were rather uncommon anyhow.

Things taht would be cool and helpful in this category, however, would be mine clearing tanks.

Closed Trucks
Point being? A truck is a truck is a truck.

Train Station
I would not mind a few new building types myself, but train stations can be done with a few factory tiles next to the tracks . . .

2 meters tall stone walls
Tall stone walls would be cool, no arguments there.

Telephone poles
Basically a graphical fourish. Can be done with road in scattered trees.

Stairs for slopes
Minor detail on 20m square tiles . . .

Dirt tiles
Could be neat. How are they different from clear in terms of ingame effect?

Abby's / Cloisters
Can't this be done with a Church and a few buildings?

Dropping Paratroops
Very rare were paratroops dropped into a tactical battle (I can only think of 2--Crete and Market Garden) as it raged. In any case, it can be done using split-up reinforcements and starting the troops paniced.

On map artillery
Most maps are too short for the minimium range of most guns. And, if they were deployed indirect, give a spotter even if the guns were on the map. If they were used for DF use the guns.

Bottom line: Be creative.

WWB

Some say that horsers & bicycles weren't common in the WWII frontlines. Now I had to find some proof. Only after 5 minutes of searching in my library I have found a nice poster in a Signal magazine (June 1942).

<center>

Now, are these guys going to their picknick or what ?

Horses-Bicycles-Trucks.jpg

</center>

ps. Now I'm stunned my self... looking closely I can see horses, bicycles, motorcycles and closed trucks ! I know this is not a combat situation but WWII wasn't always fought with nice prepared battles.

[ August 14, 2003, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: eichenbaum ]

Hmm, looks like the horses showed up after the shooting had stopped. And they definitely were not pushing around that 37mm ATG under fire.

WWII era cavalry, aside from a famous incident or two, fought dismounted. Basically light infantry with significant cross-country mobility advantages.

And you still have not solved the problem of putting a 10 man squad on 10 separate horses nor written an accurate AI for horses . . .

WWB

Amazing. The 'I want horsies' crowd is at it again. No matter how many times the uselessness of horses in actual combat is explained, the fact that these valuable transport elements were generally moved out of harms way once the shooting began, and the fact that modeling them in the game would be, if not impossible, at least ridiculous, the demand for them is unending.

I can only imagine the childhood traumas and disappointments of 'no pony under the Xmas tree' that have given rise to this enduring, if wrong-headed, demand.

Originally posted by Seanachai:

Amazing. The 'I want horsies' crowd is at it again. No matter how many times the uselessness of horses in actual combat is explained, the fact that these valuable transport elements were generally moved out of harms way once the shooting began, and the fact that modeling them in the game would be, if not impossible, at least ridiculous, the demand for them is unending.

I can only imagine the childhood traumas and disappointments of 'no pony under the Xmas tree' that have given rise to this enduring, if wrong-headed, demand.

That's going to leave a mark...

could somebody please mod a truck into a group of horses a kublewagon into a pair of motorcycles for these people

then they could buy them as conscripts/greens just to see them run when the shooting starts

of course they will need dead versions of them too

Beast

who understands why they wheren't included and agrees

I'm afraid Motorcycles and bicycles will be used for a gamey recon purpose by a lot of players the same way jeeps have been used. I don't see any need for them in CM because they were basically used for messenger service and transporting troops while NOT in a combat situation. (oh yea, I almost forgot, they were also used by escaping POWs to try to get to Switzerland ;) )