I think I'm slowly realizing...

...that I've wasted a bunch of time and money making an online war for a game that next to nobody plays anymore. I've even looked for other communities, thinking maybe this one isn't 'The Big One', but there's nothing substantial out there. I've found a handful of sites, most without even a rudimentary forum, some with pages that were last updated years ago...what's the deal? I thought the CM series was where turn-based tac was at. Instead it appears to be tumble-weed central. I thought the flight-sim community was moribund, but this experience is setting a new standard! :(

Well, you're talking about a 4-year old game, so I'd say you probably came a bit too late for such an endeavour. There are still quite a few eastern front WW2 fans playing the game, but most people interested in such an online war are either already playing CMMC, the Onion Wars, or are waiting for CMC to be finished.

I, for example, still play CMBB PBEMs all the time, but I don't have the time to dive into an online war.

It would've probably been a good idea to gauge the interest for such a campaign first before investing time and money it it.

Originally posted by ParaBellum:

Well, you're talking about a 4-year old game, so I'd say you probably came a bit too late for such an endeavour. There are still quite a few eastern front WW2 fans playing the game, but most people interested in such an online war are either already playing CMMC, the Onion Wars, or are waiting for CMC to be finished.

I, for example, still play CMBB PBEMs all the time, but I don't have the time to dive into an online war.

It would've probably been a good idea to gauge the interest for such a campaign first before investing time and money it it.

Hi PB. smile.gif

Yeah, I did that 'market research' stuff before and almost nobody responded. Then I built the war anyway (it was for IL2) and people flocked to it. So I figured putting out feelers first is a waste of time, probably because for every ten announcements of a new war only one actually comes to reality.

I don't think four years is particularly old for a first-class and much-loved game? RB2-3D, IL2...old, but still have multiple wars going on, hundreds of players. I thought CM was in the same league. Then again, as the genre requires more mental grunt so the community membership becomes more rarefied.

I have looked around on the net. Hard. There's almost nothing out there. A lot of sites have forums listed, but then the link comes here. Cheap bums. :D

I'll continue anyway. Fortunately I had the foresight to give the new domain a root name, so it can be turned to pretty much anything. CMC is looking good. ToW won't make the nut without a full scenario editor of course...fifty maps will soon get very tired, and it'll go on a shelf after a couple of months is my prediction, unless they release one later.

Not sure how CMC will work out for online wars, though the ability to parse files (if get-atable) is exciting. Hopefully, if this CMEF doesn't take off big time, I'll be able to incorporate most of what I've done into a CMC war.

Thanks for your input. smile.gif

Well, I can ensure you that a lot of people still play CMBO/BB/AK PBEMs ...

The inexhaustible ones continue QuickBattles and the others are engaged in huge battles or operations ... smile.gif

But only a few people are implied in such initiatives.

You know, almost everthing has been said and asked about CMBB on this forum smile.gif

So ... we simply continue playing with our favourite partners and keep quiet ... but god knows that underground, thousands of CM games are still underway ...

Paulus

Originally posted by von Paulus:

Well, I can ensure you that a lot of people still play CMBO/BB/AK PBEMs ...

The inexhaustible ones continue QuickBattles and the others are engaged in huge battles or operations ... smile.gif

But only a few people are implied in such initiatives.

You know, almost everthing has been said and asked about CMBB on this forum smile.gif

So ... we simply continue playing with our favourite partners and keep quiet ... but god knows that underground, thousands of CM games are still underway ...

Paulus

Where are they then? Coz they sure as hell ain't around here. Or does yer typical CM player not belong to an online forum? In this day and age, I ask ya. :D

Originally posted by Sigrun:

...that I've wasted a bunch of time and money making an online war for a game that next to nobody plays anymore. I've even looked for other communities, thinking maybe this one isn't 'The Big One', but there's nothing substantial out there. I've found a handful of sites, most without even a rudimentary forum, some with pages that were last updated years ago...what's the deal? I thought the CM series was where turn-based tac was at. Instead it appears to be tumble-weed central. I thought the flight-sim community was moribund, but this experience is setting a new standard! :(

I'm a fairly new player of CMBB. I looked at your site yesterday, and have read most of your posts here. but I couldnt find info on how to actually play the war you described. I decided I was probably too much of a newbie to particaipate, since I didn't really understand just how it would work.

I actually came in today, and was going to post some questions about it.

One thing I think I sorted out was that the play would "live", rather than PBEM. I'm sufficiently new to the game that I dont know how to do either of those.

So maybe there are more out here than you realize.

I also read through the forum you set up. Another forum of course it the Strategy Zone online forum that also seems to be somewhat active.

Rick

Rick, most of the work-in-progress is on my desk (about two inches of A4 so far) or on my hard-drive. :D I'm well into the first draught of the ruleset but it's not ready for reading yet.

I jump about from bit to bit, to keep my brain fresh, but it's all getting there.

One of the intentions, when it's done, is that even a total noob will be able to participate. I like stuff written for me as if I'm a total moron, it makes things so much easier, and I try to extend the same consideration to others. There's nothing worse than reading instructions written by somebody who has clearly assumed you already understand half of everything before reading the first sentence.

And not every commander was born with command experience. ;)

Currently I'm working on complexifying (I don't think that's a word...so much for being easily understood) the resolution of combat on the strategic map. Basically it'll depend on how good your win was as to how far up the next CMBB map you'll start, how many flags you'll already have behind your line, etc. I'm quite excited about it actually, because the game-play ramifications, when tied in with a bunch of other components, are pretty slick.

The entire affair is about bringing the individual CMBB combats to life, in more ways than the purely physical. Tying them to an external strategic map, in a meaningful way, has huge psychological impact (guess why CMC is going to be so popular!).

Anyway, I'm going on.

Both my site and forum are down at the moment, my host has transfered everything to a Linux box (to hopefully fix the forum email problem), and they said it'll be a few hours before everything comes back online.

Thanks for your interest guys. smile.gif

Originally posted by Greenman:

There are still tons of games being played over at the Blitz Online Game Club. www.theblitz.org.

There's a very active CM ladder there.

There are also a lot of clubs still alive and kicking.

Thanks GM, I'll check it out. smile.gif

Ah! Checked it out, that looks like just the ticket. I've registered and will post when there's something to show. Thanks again. smile.gif

[ August 17, 2006, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: Sigrun ]

Originally posted by Sigrun:

Rick, most of the work-in-progress is on my desk (about two inches of A4 so far) or on my hard-drive. :D I'm well into the first draught of the ruleset but it's not ready for reading yet.

I jump about from bit to bit, to keep my brain fresh, but it's all getting there.

One of the intentions, when it's done, is that even a total noob will be able to participate. I like stuff written for me as if I'm a total moron, it makes things so much easier, and I try to extend the same consideration to others. There's nothing worse than reading instructions written by somebody who has clearly assumed you already understand half of everything before reading the first sentence.

And not every commander was born with command experience. ;)

Currently I'm working on complexifying (I don't think that's a word...so much for being easily understood) the resolution of combat on the strategic map. Basically it'll depend on how good your win was as to how far up the next CMBB map you'll start, how many flags you'll already have behind your line, etc. I'm quite excited about it actually, because the game-play ramifications, when tied in with a bunch of other components, are pretty slick.

The entire affair is about bringing the individual CMBB combats to life, in more ways than the purely physical. Tying them to an external strategic map, in a meaningful way, has huge psychological impact (guess why CMC is going to be so popular!).

Anyway, I'm going on.

Both my site and forum are down at the moment, my host has transfered everything to a Linux box (to hopefully fix the forum email problem), and they said it'll be a few hours before everything comes back online.

Thanks for your interest guys. smile.gif

Sounds good, maybe by the time youre all the way ready, ill have a little more experience.

Rick

Apart from lots of vs-AI action I strongly recommend you read the full manual, there's a whole bunch of good stuff in there that even I didn't know about. If you bought a bargain-bin version without a manual, order their online item (it's worth it if you're really keen on this game). smile.gif

In other news, my site and forums are back online and the forum activation emails are now fully functional.

Originally posted by the_enigma:

SirGune: If your still looking for more CM'ers you may have a look over on TPG quite a few of us there an active.

Check the opponent section.

You could make some suggestions there and see what people think?

There some people active here

As others mentioned above - Onion Wars

German WPC

American/British SZO ladder

Hope this may help smile.gif

Thanks Enigma, I'll check those places out. smile.gif I'll give Onion Wars a miss though, I don't think it'd go down too well trying to lift members from another war on their own forum.

Metacampaigning is quite a small niche within the CM community. It remains to be seen whether there's room for one more next to CMMC and OW. I reckon there's no more than 50 - 100 people involved with both of those. So I wouldn't design a game where you intend to have 1000 people playing (I wouldn't do that for other reasons as well...).

It's not so much CMBB's age as the fact that many new things have recently been announced by BTS. If there was no CMx2, CMC or ToW to talk about, I think there'd be more people working on initiatives to provide fresh interest for CMBB and CMAK players.

Thanks Kelly. smile.gif

No, I wasn't planning on accomodating a 1000 ( :eek: ) people. Thirty fully active players per side, with a few part-timer reserves, would fit the bill perfectly. The last war I ran had about a hundred regular participants, with a few more that would fly occasionally, but that was a genre that could handle those sorts of numbers (an air sim, IL2).

Yes, I was a little worried that ToW might be about to kill CMBB off, but then I thought about the lack of a scenario editor for that game. Without one ToW will never be a serious contender.

CMC is just more CM, with extras. I'm hopeful it'll plug right into a war. smile.gif

GreenAsJade beat me to it….

The Band of Brothers is an excellent site for individual games and tournaments. There are a couple of tournaments starting soon as a matter of fact.

They also have Campaign games that are both Strategic and Tactical, sort of like and early CMC type of game. You should check it out.

Everyone is a serious player (though played with good humor) and will finish what they start.

All new sign ups must be sponsored by an existing Brother (a simple thing) and play and finish a scenario.

There is a 6 months probation period before becoming a full member. This helps weed out those who are not serious about finishing what they start.

It has great forums on many topics and a chat room for setting up quick TCP/IP’s among other things.

So I had to laugh when you talk about tumbleweeds.

I guess you just need to know what rock to look under. smile.gif

If you start here at the home of CM, and look at the close links, its true that you find abandonned sites and cobwebs everywhere. The original sites were set up by the creators of CM and the initial enthusiasts. The creators have moved on to other things, and the original builders never pulled down the now-inactive sites.

As Ted says, it means you now need to know where to look ... the CM action moved away from the original home, where the creators have really moved on, and found itself new homes.

It used to be the case that this was the forum I visited all the time. Now the only reason I come here from time to time is to look out for posts like Sigun's and holler " Over here! We're over here! "

Cheers,

GaJ