Russian Machine gun halftrack.! The BEST!

My favorite unit in cmbb is the russian vehicle with four 12.7mm machine guns on it. You can anchor a whole flank with just one of these and a anti tank gun. It just plows down enemy infantry, whole companies. Have you guys had any sucess with this vehicle. I use it all the time.

And I will try to make Dorosh happy and keep thi post as polite as possible. I like you dorosh.

This raises another question: is there a GAZ AA truck in CMBB? This truck was fitted with quad maxim machine guns, put in an AA mount and attached to the bed of the GAZ truck. This was Russia's only (I believe) AA vehicle until Lend-Lease arrived. GAZ was merely a Ford truck produced in Russia under license.

Proof of their existence lies within many photos taken from the opening stages of Barbarossa--most notably in photos around Borisov (German spelling Borrisoff) in Belarus, July,1941. You will find many of these wrecks lining the roads as German columns march or speed by. Are these in CMBB? :confused:

Originally posted by redwolf:

I only wished they wouldn't fall apart when fired upon with MG42 HMGs.

In game terms, you mean, or because you feel that is a historical inaccuracy?

I thought US halftracks were a bit notoriously underarmoured and very subject to damage from German MGs? Though I'm certainly not an expert.

I mean falling apart in game terms. In fact it is a huge improvement in CMBB over CMBO that the 7-8mm vehicles now die properly from MG42s. In CMBO you needed 50 meters or so, now it is 250 or so.

Kiril, Hackworth used them as direct fire support during in the battle he describes in his book.

They were used extensivly during the Battle of the Bulge. Often they were what stood in the way of arty units being overrun by German infantry as each battery usually had one or two attached. As noted earlier they were rarely used in their intended role for the simple reason that the Luftwaffe rarely made its presense felt in the west. The American 90mm AAA gunners had it even worst as they were rarely used in the ground support role (or you might count that as having it better, you want your war to be boring).

I'm not sure why they were left out of CMBO but that was the only major gripe I had about that game.

Originally posted by laxx:

i doan think the 4MG half-track is featured in CMBO.

thanks

shows how little i know about the vehicles in CMBO and CMBB! lol (I heard the germans have a heavy tank, codename "Tiger," in the game!)

Well, this thread definitely piqued my interest in this vehicle for my next CMBB QB!