Strange kill

Just happened in a PBEM. The remains of two of my German platoons (Jäger and Fallschirmjäger) are fighting in a forest with probably two Russian platoons. Behind the forest are two light armoured vehicles, probably one BA and one M-17. They are out of reach of my infantry (out of LOS, even behind a small ridge).

Suddenly the BA? crew bails out. Nothing fired at them, no explosive or hand grenade detonated near them. And one of my Fallschirmjäger squads is credited the kill. Why? They fired at a squad on two o´clock while the BA? stands on twelve o´clock. How can that be?

Really? I always thought ACs and HTs would be proof against infantry squad small arms... and the BA´s armour isn´t that thin, 9-15mm even a bit sloped. Much better than that of a HT...

I know that in reality a K98 bullet or that of a MG34/42 was probably able to penetrate thin armour like this at short ranges (<100m), but I thought in CM they weren´t.

And the BA was definitely out of reach. Even ricochets or spread seem to be very unlikely, given the general direction the squad was firing.

[ February 11, 2003, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: Brightblade ]

I was playing a CMBO game recently and observed an explosion on an enemy squad. I couldn’t figure out what the explosion was from – it wasn’t artillery, my schrecks hadn’t fired, and all my squads were engaging other targets (i.e., there were no red targeting lines to this enemy squad hit with an explosion). It took me a while, but after extensive review, I found one of my squads had fired a panzerfaust at this enemy squad, even though all of the small arms fire was directed at another target some 45 to 60 degrees off.

I know you said the BA was out of your LOS, so this probably wasn’t what happened in your case, but I thought it was interesting that a squad could simultaneously engage two targets with AT weapons and small arms fire.

Yes, they can Ace. Just like, e.g., a mortar squad can fire the mortar and at the same time fire small arms (in self defense usually, i.e. within a short radius) at another enemy unit; or like a tank which can engage different targets with the main gun and whatever machineguns it has at its disposal.

Martin

As the the question of permeability of 9mm armor, reminds me of a story an old WWII jungle fighter told me. His commander gathered his men around their nifty new M3 halftrack and proceeded to give them a speech about not relying on the HT's armor protection for safety. To illustrate his point he pulled out his .45 handgun and to the shock of the troop he plugged a neat hole into the side of the HT! After that nobody in that unit relied on their HT for safety from small arms fire.

I´m almost absolutely sure that the squad wasn´t in range. The BA? is >40m away through tall pines and as I said even behind a little rigdeline.

Originally posted by wwb_99:

Even if it was not penetraed, it could have taken a crew casualty, lost its nerve, and had a little bail out incident
Until the moment the crew bailed out, the BA? seemed to be unbuttoned as a head could be seen in the turret - which was still operating in this turn, shortly before the crew bailed out. I´m not entirely sure if this contradicts your hypothesis, but shouldn´t there have been some delay?

Originally posted by Ace Pilot:

It took me a while, but after extensive review, I found one of my squads had fired a panzerfaust at this enemy squad, even though all of the small arms fire was directed at another target some 45 to 60 degrees off.
The Fallschirmjäger squad still has both Panzerfausts and the grenade bundle they started with and threw only one hand grenade - after the BA? was abandoned, so I guess that alternative drops out.

i've killed a bt tank with a maxim mg (finnish)... ever since, when i see armored cars, t-26s, bt tanks and the like - especially from the side or rear and within about 200 meters - all available mgs are 'spraying and praying'

edit... but it sounds like in this you might be seeing the 'self-inflicted armored car casualties'

[ February 12, 2003, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: manchildstein II ]