wien instead of berlin????

Hoi,

i've a question about the end of the war. I was reading about the ss panzer divisions which where stationed at wien.Why didnt they went to berlin in a earlier stadium after the retreat from Belgium in the winter of 45.The germans must have known that berlin was a top priority of the russians. Or was wien so stragic that they had to defend that town with there best troops??

Originally posted by MAUS_TD:

Why didnt they went to berlin in a earlier stadium after the retreat from Belgium in the winter of 45.

Well, the SS division (stands for Sports Stadium) could have been committed to protect the place where the Berlin Olympics were held, but it part of the greater scheme in which Hitler wanted to destroy Germany and then restore the Austrian Empire. Thus it was necessary to defend Vienna. Hope this helps?

P.S. What makes you think that the troops defending Vienna were the best in the German army, anyway? They was hardly anything "elite" left at that stage of the war, with most tanks lost and losses replaced with adolescents.

My understanding is Adolf Hitler forbade retreating and ordered many 'kessels' that were supposed to be defended to the last man.

When Hitler heard Liebstandarte had retreated he even ordered them stripped of their 'Adolf Hitler' cuff titles at one point.

I think you're assuming Hitler had touch with reallity... :eek:

When Hitler heard Liebstandarte had retreated he even ordered them stripped of their 'Adolf Hitler' cuff titles at one point.

Normally spelling issues are best ignored, but flipping the "i" and "e" in this German word changes it from being a body guard to some kind of love unit ;)

You want it to be "Leibstandarte".

(Interestingly enough Google reports 548 hits for the mispelt version, versus 9280 for the correct spelling, so it seems to be a common problem for English speakers -- dratted "i before e" rule).

This is getting off topic, but there were reportedly problems with the phrase books given to US GIs occupying Germany after the war. Getting the the vowels wrong on the phrase "Halt, oder ich schieße!" would be pretty bad.

Originally posted by tar:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> When Hitler heard Liebstandarte had retreated he even ordered them stripped of their 'Adolf Hitler' cuff titles at one point.

Normally spelling issues are best ignored, but flipping the "i" and "e" in this German word changes it from being a body guard to some kind of love unit ;)

(Interestingly enough Google reports 548 hits for the mispelt version, versus 9280 for the correct spelling, so it seems to be a common problem for English speakers -- dratted "i before e" rule).

This is getting off topic, but there were reportedly problems with the phrase books given to US GIs occupying Germany after the war. Getting the the vowels wrong on the phrase "Halt, oder ich schieße!" would be pretty bad. </font>

:D

Oh dear...

I studied German at high school for a number of years. In 1993 I visited Germany and was amazed at how grateful German people were that I even attempted to converse with them in German rather than English despite how bad my pronunciation was. So ten years later and after a few Brewski's my spelling in German, sadly as it may be, even when checked can sometimes be a little poor. So to all the German folks out there I truly do apologise. I will endeavor to ascertain the correct spelling and emphasis as required despite my sometimes intoxicated state as I try my best to answer erronious questions where I feel I can help

No really! It's late here and usually I've had a couple after work. I don't get home till around midnight, so I gets' tired and a couple of Strongbows... well, you know...

:rolleyes:

Back to reality, my information comes from Antony Beevor's account from 'Berlin'. A good read but a bit of a struggle at times.

...oh yeah, Luger... what a slap head hey?

[ November 15, 2003, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: Richie ]

Originally posted by tar:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> When Hitler heard Liebstandarte had retreated he even ordered them stripped of their 'Adolf Hitler' cuff titles at one point.

</font>