weird stuff

zdenka,

While it may look odd, there are plenty of real life examples from which to choose--going either direction. BTW, this is much more likely when firing AP shot, seeing as how there's no fuzing to contend with, thus all the "T" projectiles, German PzGr 40, Russian arrowhead, British vanilla Shermans firing plugged, defuzed American 75mm AP shell, and of course, American HVAP.

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by John Kettler:

zdenka,

While it may look odd, there are plenty of real life examples from which to choose--going either direction.

Care to point out any documented examples from WW2 where a tank has hit another by shooting through the both (and any interior) walls of a 20m deep stone building? When the AFV's don't even have a LOS to eachother?

A glitch is a glitch is a glitch. No point in trying to make it look realistic when it is not even meant to happen in the game. It still is very rare, though, so no reason to worry.

Was the Panther in line of sight originally and just backed behind the factory? Or did your Su-85 just see him through the wall?

In my Cmak game currently; I tryed to run a sherman across this field and behind a tall building. Well sure enough he drew the attention of the Stugs and Panthers in the town, but made it safely behind the tall light building. Or so I thought. Like five seconds later a SP gun wacked me and KOed the tank. It was strange because all the other enemy tanks stopped targetting me as soon as I was behind the building except the SP gun.

I am the opponent, and the panther had not backed up, it was seen through the factory, I was kind of upset, but I just figured it was one of those big open bay factories and they saw me through the windows or something.

A couple of turns later though, I had another panther, veteran, ko'ed by two turret ricochets. That upset me considerably more.

I am getting my ass stomped in this one, but that is alright, it is good for the soul or somefink....

In response to Sergei's questions about documented examples of tanks firing through buildings: on page 394 of the CMAK companion book there is an account of such an attempt in Italy. A Tiger was "lurking near a large mansion", and "attempts were made to fire an AP shot through the building into the Tiger's weaker flank." The attempts failed, but they at least tried to fire through a large mansion.

Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by John Kettler:

zdenka,

While it may look odd, there are plenty of real life examples from which to choose--going either direction.

Care to point out any documented examples from WW2 where a tank has hit another by shooting through the both (and any interior) walls of a 20m deep stone building? When the AFV's don't even have a LOS to eachother?

A glitch is a glitch is a glitch. No point in trying to make it look realistic when it is not even meant to happen in the game. It still is very rare, though, so no reason to worry. </font>

Originally posted by Sgt_Kelly:

As I understand it the game works this way quite on purpose. It happens quite regularly.

No. It's a glitch, I insist. Back in early CMBO days, you could occasionally target through several houses. This was fixed. Sometimes these things still happen, but not that often. If any of it is intentional from Charles' part, you may as well call me Katja.

Not CMBB, but still interesting. Don't think you can see it clearly without clicking on the picture, but that is clearly a German armored car floating on the water, and still fighting.

Stoat

Thanks, Stoat, for the picture of the Holy Armored Car (drives on water, except that I guess that it can't now because it is immoblized). Did it somehow fall off the bridge?

It was hunting along the bridge, but was then hit by a small projectile and immobilised. A vehicle preceeding it reversed quickly to get out of an artillery barrage, and pushed it into the water. It was still functional at the start of the next turn, and fired off a round or two before being knocked out by a British tank, I think the one targeting it in the picture. The crew were then panicked on the water, but gunned down before I could try to move them.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by John Kettler:

zdenka,

</font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sgt_Kelly:

As I understand it the game works this way quite on purpose. It happens quite regularly.

No. It's a glitch, I insist. Back in early CMBO days, you could occasionally target through several houses. This was fixed. Sometimes these things still happen, but not that often. If any of it is intentional from Charles' part, you may as well call me Katja. </font>