To the designers of the CMBB - is it possible??

Okay, here is the offical word.

Can the game be hacked? YES

We have known for some time that with enough effort someone would eventually be able to hack the data sets. We are actually surprised it took this long for some one to do it (4 years). Just like pirating, there is only so much we can do to prevent such cheating and your best defense in a situation like this is to pick your opponents with caution.

Madmatt

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ExplodingMonkey

Great. Another multiplayer game I have to worry about hack bastards with.

The problem with haX0rZ is once they infiltrate a game, everyone who gets their asses whipped in legit battles claim the other guy was a hack.

I remember playing 'Behind Enemy Lines' mode on a 'Call of Duty' server once. I was owning fools left and right. At one point, five of them cornered me in a room. I killed all of them using a combination of bunny hopping and spray-and-prey on my PPSH's 70 round drum. Then this happens:

"See that?"

"Yeah, wall hack."

I was like, "WTF, there were NO WALLS in that room! How am I a wall hack?!!"

"You're a cheater, no one gets a score like that."

"Yeah, let's boot this POS hack off."

So they voted me off the server with a score of like 59 kills and 6 deaths. All because they didn't like getting their asses handed to them by a legit player.

I hate hacks. They ruin everything for everyone. God this pisses me off.

Originally posted by ExplodingMonkey:

Great. Another multiplayer game I have to worry about hack bastards with.

The problem with haX0rZ is once they infiltrate a game, everyone who gets their asses whipped in legit battles claim the other guy was a hack.

I remember playing 'Behind Enemy Lines' mode on a 'Call of Duty' server once. I was owning fools left and right. At one point, five of them cornered me in a room. I killed all of them using a combination of bunny hopping and spray-and-prey on my PPSH's 70 round drum. Then this happens:

"See that?"

"Yeah, wall hack."

I was like, "WTF, there were NO WALLS in that room! How am I a wall hack?!!"

"You're a cheater, no one gets a score like that."

"Yeah, let's boot this POS hack off."

So they voted me off the server with a score of like 59 kills and 6 deaths. All because they didn't like getting their asses handed to them by a legit player.

I hate hacks. They ruin everything for everyone. God this pisses me off.

WTF forum hack

As everything is ultimately hackable then I am not surprised that it has happened.[un] Fortunately the cheats need people opponents to keep track of how clever they are and also a league to be top off - makes them a bit obvious .......... And in the end they are just crap players who have to cheat to win. Sad gits.

I don't think we need to fear cheaters as much as people who play many other games must. The CM learning curve is so steep and the amount of time needed to be able to just play the game so great that we need not deal with most of the five-minute attention span average teenage cheaters... besides, where is the satisfaction in cheating/beating someone who (on the average) says: "Well done, that was a real trashing" smile.gif

However, those few cheaters we have/will have are bound to be damned persistent types, playing CM for years and changing nicknames and clubs when caught.

Hopefully CM2 can put some checks in for this sort of a thing. If it's a PBEM game, you can check for continuity from turn to turn, make sure the number of units and points check, and you can also check the distribution of probabilities during the resolution of combat to make sure they fit the expected distribution (i.e., you can tell something is up if the 5 or 6 1 in 100 chances all go against the 1 in 100).

you bunny hop, ohhh you exploit crappy game design and then whine that others bitch (even tho they bitched about a diff hack) pah!

i have played fps since Duke3d and the only people who BH or other crap like that are people who aren't skilled enough to play the way the game is designed! i am sorry but u can not say BH'ing is what the designers had in mind when they made call of duty, unless they had a very warped mind of what happened in ww2.

the saying "just because you can don't mean you should" applys their, just it just annoys me when i try and get a friend into a online first person shooter theirs always some idiot on the server doing minor exploit to gain a sight advantage, which just puts my mates off. on a side note i have played thu all of the counter strike betas and many other online games and never once felt the need to bunny hop, but that could be because i am good enough to kill without goign for a little unfair advantage (rant ends now, please do carry on with this conversation about cmbb, ps i am sad to hear someone has hacked this :( )

Guest ExplodingMonkey
Originally posted by Matthias:

you bunny hop, ohhh you exploit crappy game design and then whine that others bitch (even tho they bitched about a diff hack) pah!

i have played fps since Duke3d and the only people who BH or other crap like that are people who aren't skilled enough to play the way the game is designed! i am sorry but u can not say BH'ing is what the designers had in mind when they made call of duty, unless they had a very warped mind of what happened in ww2.

the saying "just because you can don't mean you should" applys their, just it just annoys me when i try and get a friend into a online first person shooter theirs always some idiot on the server doing minor exploit to gain a sight advantage, which just puts my mates off. on a side note i have played thu all of the counter strike betas and many other online games and never once felt the need to bunny hop, but that could be because i am good enough to kill without goign for a little unfair advantage (rant ends now, please do carry on with this conversation about cmbb, ps i am sad to hear someone has hacked this :( )

You're comparing a bunny hopper to a hack?!?!! Uh, yeah. Whatever. :rolleyes:

I wonder if there is actually an easy way around this (obviously not for CMXX but for CM2), in the final summary show what each player started with (including ammo) and what they ended with. Hacking what you start with sounds easy enough - hacking the final display would be another story altogether.

15 T34s in a 300pt match would be a bit of a giveaway...

It is very sad that people abuse this knowledge for cheating!

If anybody would come up with a way to extract the terrain elevation data from the map files then I could make you contour maps for these pesky desert scenarios.

THAT would be a worth-while "hack"!

Best regards,

Thomm

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

It is very sad that people abuse this knowledge for cheating!

If anybody would come up with a way to extract the terrain elevation data from the map files then I could make you contour maps for these pesky desert scenarios.

THAT would be a worth-while "hack"!

Best regards,

Thomm

That is available somewhere, somebody basically uses an OCR-like program to scan the map data.

You need a real scenario in the editor, though, a Quickbattle map or anything that doesn't load into the editor does not work.