New Combat Mission game Announced. Combat Mission: Afrika Korps!!! Pt2

Originally posted by Sokal:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ariel:

I dunno if this was addressed in the other thread:

will be the 88s (and maybe other guns, but it is the case I know) able to fire from the towing position, with a restricted covering angle?

I'm sure there will be 2-lbers en Portee. What more could you ask for? </font>

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Anyone know if the Pz38(t) made it into North Africa as well?

If it did, it's been kept awfully quiet. I never heard of it.

You could cobble together early war Brits vs Germans easily enough, I'd guess.
You might be mistaken. smile.gif

(though Russian infantry aren't quite the same animal as the British Expeditionary Force in 40).
Now that's the understatement of the year. You might also mention that there would be differences in artillery, among other things.

I don't know, it all depends on how much authenticity in detail you demand before you declare that you've got it. I suppose that anybody who considers, say, Panzer General a historical wargame would be satisfied with what you are suggesting. Frankly, it makes my flesh crawl.

tongue.gif

Michael

Suggest you search the archive using the keyword 'roster'.

I think it was mentioned not too far back by someone at BFC that it will be incorporated in the engine rewrite. Not at all certain that it will make it into CM:AK. Apparently it involves a bit more work than you anticipate.

Michael

Originally posted by Kapitein KAB:

What about an option to view an entire battle as a movie after the battle has ended.

That would be cool!

Especially when the camera would automatically move to hotspots!

just an idea.

won't happen in CMAK

CMAK is Just CMBO and CMBB in the Desert and the Med and Italy thats it

Read the thread about CMX2 for more on full movie replay here:

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=23;t=007545

-tom w

Personally I can't wait for CMAK, doubt I'll play CMBB much once it's out. Whilst I far prefer the CMBB game improvements over CMBO I just can't work up the same enthusiasm to play the Allies, seems kind of remote. Looking forward to plotting the demise of the Axis with Brit/US troops again.

Apache you have a point I have been playing CMBO more than CMBB and will get CMAK as soon as pos. Because it is the area my dad and his bro fought in.. Just seems it has more meaning to me.....

Dad was with the 5th army so he was in No Africa and Italy then they shipped his group north

I think just after the bulge. Anyway this is going to be a interesting game to play as it puts one in the place were the US got its feet wet ,So to speak........

BnickB

For MikeyD

No Czech 38t's went to Afrika, Thou its chassic did mounting the captured Russian 76.2mm A/T guns in the guise of the Panzerjager 38(t) SdKfz 139 [MarderIII]; approximately 117 managed to get shipped through to DAK before El Alamein. Light armour and high profile with powerful gun for North African standards. smile.gif

I wonder if it'd be possible to have a man count in the shopping window?

That'd help in campaigns, you know how many men you had left from last fight, but it's a real bother trying to buy that same amount again for the next battle.

Would also be nice to know how many men are in a volkssturm battallion vs grenadier battallion, and stuff like that...

I have a couple of Questions:

Given the scale of some Desert Operations, will 'design your own' encompass low fuel or enable vehicles to be set up Immobile or Out of Gas?

If so will this affect turret speed due to hand cranking?

How do I best replicate 'Out of Gas' if not?

Will heat and dust be taken into account for mechanical reliability?

Originally posted by Richie:

I have a couple of Questions:

Given the scale of some Desert Operations, will 'design your own' encompass low fuel or enable vehicles to be set up Immobile or Out of Gas?

How do I best replicate 'Out of Gas' if not?

During design place a vehicle in terrain it can't move through. Et voila! Immobile units. It's that easy.

Interesting concept, designing an out of fuel scenario...I don't think I've read anywhere about a situation like it, thou Logistics were always a major problem to DAK there was always juice in the tanks. At Gazalla in the 'Kessel' British POWs complained about a lack of water, Rommel retorted that they were on the same ration and if supply columns did'nt breach the minefields to the back of him in 24? hrs he'd have to seek terms...it was that close. About brakedowns, Britsh Armour was chroinc especial the Crusiers and Crusaders. The 4 gallon petrol tins were hopeless, always spliting, before the Brits copied the 'gerrycan'.

BF.C

Will the unit selection screen, for AFVs, allowing purchasing of vehicles in mixed platoons? It's probably not too much of an issue early in the war, but from about 1942 tank platoons that were 'impure of type' became increasingly common AIUI. Examples are the mixed platoons of PzIII and PzVI fielded by the Germans in Tunisia ( e.g.), and numercally more important the mixed troops of 75mm and Firefly Shermans fielded by the Commonwealth in Italy. It would be nice to have vehicles that are nominally in the same platoon actually benefit from being in-command.

Regards

JonS

[ June 23, 2003, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: JonS ]

Originally posted by JonS:

BF.C

Will the unit selection screen, for AFVs, allowing purchasing of vehicles in mixed platoons? It's probably not too much of an issue early in the war, but from about 1942 tank platoons that were 'impure of type' became increasingly common AIUI. Examples are the mixed platoons of PzIII and PzVI fielded by the Germans in Tunisia ( e.g.), and numercally more important the mixed troops of 75mm and Firefly Shermans fielded by the Commonwealth in Italy. It would be nice to have vehicles that are nominally in the same platoon actually benefit from being in-command.

Regards

JonS

I was under the impression that mixed units were SOP for the Germans from the beginning of the war, when Panzer IVs were often assigned to Panzer II and III coys. The British, due to circumstance, rather than design, occasionally ended up operating mixed Armoured Sqns. in the Desert, while in Italy and NW Europe, it was SOP to mix Fireflies with other types.

Originally posted by Private Bluebottle:

I was under the impression that mixed units were SOP for the Germans from the beginning of the war, when Panzer IVs were often assigned to Panzer II and III coys.

That's right. And the Brits did the same thing with the 3" CS (close support) Cruisers as well. I think the standard in that case was two CS tanks per squadron (or company in US or German parlance).

Michael

It was formal as well as informal practice in nearly all armies. Companies could be assigned various mixes, which can be modelled in the current game, and platoons often found themselves with a mix of models, IIIs and IVs or just different models of the same basic tank.

Two things I would love to see is the ability to assign command. This would let you build mixed platoons and could hopefully prevent other units from stealing assets (machine guns, mortars, flamethrowers, etc.) from each other.

I would also like to see a company commander tank. As it is you can call an individual tank a commander but he really isn't.

I would also like to see higher echelon command bonuses effect lower level commanders. A good company commander can balance out less gifted platoon leaders.

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Private Bluebottle:

I was under the impression that mixed units were SOP for the Germans from the beginning of the war, when Panzer IVs were often assigned to Panzer II and III coys.

That's right. And the Brits did the same thing with the 3" CS (close support) Cruisers as well. I think the standard in that case was two CS tanks per squadron (or company in US or German parlance).

Michael </font>

Originally posted by Private Bluebottle:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Private Bluebottle:

Michael </font>

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

The exact mixture in 1940 was pretty higgledy-piggledy, with little in the way of a standard. But I think that by 1941 things had settled down with something like 2-4 PzIVs to a company of PzIIIs.

Michael

Err, that may have been the case in the actual fighting, once losses had been incurred, but on paper it was a neat organisation, with no mixing within platoons, or even companies, at that stage. There would always be two light (Panzer II/III/38t/35t) to one medium company (Panzer IV) in an Abteilung, with Panzer II later providing the recce platoons.

So this situation is very different from e.g. the Firefly situation in the Commonwealth forces, where the mix of 1 (later 2) in 4 was on the paper OOB, and only rarely deviated from (8th Armoured Brigade did deviate), AIUI.