Berlin Photos & others

• 3 months later...

good pics.

interesting to note that in the main it wasn't the Russians that did that terrible damage to Berlin, but the western allies.

when i flew into Berlin & when i was walking round, somthing struck me as odd & out of place. it took me a while to realise it was because all the trees where the same height.

Originally posted by sGTGoody:

Even more interesting is driving along the Autobahn and noticing that if you look at the right angle all the trees line up. Most of the forests here in Germany have been so cultivated they are more like parks than some parks I have seen.

"alle ist in ordnung" its a German thing.

thats got to affect the cover value.

reminds me of when they cut down 1 in 3 trees along the French roads.

Nappy planted them at regular intervals to give the marching troops shade.

so when cars where driving at the speed limit, the where going past at 10 a second. hypnotising the drivers & causing crashes.

hey! hijacking threads if FUN.

Originally posted by Echo:

I wonder if that Panther is dug in, or if it is only the turret? The Germans set up turrets as anti-tank guns toward the end.

Doh! Nevermind, just saw another pic that shows the hull.

I've got a feeling that it isn't a whole Panther buried in the picture. I seem to recollect that the germans mounted the turrets onto simple metal boxes buried in the ground. Cheaper that way and easier to manufacture. I think you're looking at that. I can't see much evidence of engine grilles in the photo.

Originally posted by MeatEtr:

Too bad the captions are in russian, sure would like to know what they say.

I'm sure, if you stated that in the Czech Republic, you'd get beaten pretty fast. tongue.gif No, Russian is written with cyrillic letters and that's a Czech site anyway (Fronta.cz).

Originally posted by MeatEtr:

Btw, is there any translation sites out there? Not just for this site but there are many other sites out there that id like to find out what they say.

Well, there's the Systran , then we've got Babelfish and so on, just do a google with "online translation service and you should find a horde. Language selection though is limited.