Patch V1.02 news from CDV

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

I thought lawyers only took on lost legal cases if they think they become either rich or infamous through them (exception: Public Defender, who's job it is more often than not to defend the undefendable) .

Well I was going to ask you if I could include this line in my sig:

"Nothing positive can possible come from your postings, and therefore they have no value what so ever."

That should make me infamous enough on these boards dont you think? ;)

Otherwise I agree, lets drop the subject.

[ February 09, 2003, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: Leutnant Hortlund ]

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Leutnant Hortlund:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

I thought lawyers only took on lost legal cases if they think they become either rich or infamous through them (exception: Public Defender, who's job it is more often than not to defend the undefendable) .

Well I was going to ask you if I could include this line in my sig:

"Nothing positive can possible come from your postings, and therefore they have no value what so ever."

That should make me infamous enough on these boards dont you think? ;)

Otherwise I agree, lets drop the subject. </font>

"But I am expecting regular patches until the game is done. I can see from your comments that you got the impression that I felt CMBB was half finished, I was talking about the new design philosophy in computer wargaming. Release a not finished product and patch it later."

This thing is, by your defination here, Charles could 'finish' the game in about 10 minutes by removing vehicles without a unique model from the game. By delievering more, it seems that in your eyes we have delievered less. If these vehicles, some of which I imagine most people didnt even know existed, were left out of the origional game, then that would have been much better it seems, even though it would reduce the tactical scope of CM as a wargame.

Hortlund, I understand you would have like to see every model in game. I spent months working on them, many nights getting less than 2 hours sleep just to do that. I can assure you that I wanted them in there MUCH more that even you could and worked my ass of to get them in there. But the reality of the matter is that, under the current engine, it couldnt be done. In fact, the eninge couldnt correctly handle some of the models in question.

Currently I have a stack of books on my desk as high as my monitor for the software we will be using with the rewrite. It is going to take me weeks, if not months to learn it properly. The result will be that we will be able to do things differently in the rewrite, and hopefully avoid hard descisions like we had to make with CMBB. Its time to move on. Sometimes these choices arent easy, but they have to be made. Lets look towards the future though smile.gif

Dan

[ February 09, 2003, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

The changes and extra models sound great. I am just hoping that there have been extra-fixes to the aircraft model and that the number of tank commanders who die is toned down. (I know I moaned it was impossible to do before the patch but I frequently finish a game now with every tank “shocked” which is getting silly. :(

I was going to make a blow by blow moan on why I don’t like the present representation of aircraft in the game but I will now wait for the patch and hope things get better! :(

My other big moan is that the generated maps are a little on the big and wide side - this is increasing the number of turns it takes to play a moderate point game into the 40s.

OK I know its all been said before! There is now a lot to like about CMBB - the ifantry model is much better.

First of all, great patch! I take credit for 3 of the fixes: less sneaking support weapons, "In case of QBs with Computer purchased forces, heavy weapons were deleted from the list of available weapons for the attacker" (eh, if that means what I think it means... AT guns are removed from the game when then computer buys a battalion) and "too high fatigue need too long to revocer".

I know, I know, "others reported that before you, we found that out by ourself, that had nothing to do with that", but in my mind, I made it happen, and I'm sticking to that story. smile.gif

I'm a bit "sad" to see that MY favorite pet peeve didn't get fixed, the restocking of ammo for "new" units on a imported scenario into a QB. It messes with my campaign, but I guess I have to live with it... *sob*

Regarding the models, it will be fun to see how a Pz 38(t)E looks like, I have no idea. Oh and that "Panzerbüchse", that must be that 20/28mm ATR, right? Sweet! I love it, it's great, plinking away at thin-skinned ruskies... 60 T rounds! It has helped me a great deal. Can't comment on the others, I'm only in '41 so far. But a new StuG IV sounds nice, once it becomes available.

Leutnant Hortlund, you chose CM over your wife? Respect.

KwazyDog, got a new toy? What software will you be using for CM2? For that matter, what did you use for CMBB?

Oh, forgot: Andreas, FYI, Sweden gets just enough sunshine, thankyouverymuch...

[ February 09, 2003, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: SuperSulo ]

Shhh!

Kwazy is readin, be very very quiet. If we work together I am sure we can cut a day out of the development of the CMII engine just by being quiet.

Ok well that is never going to happen but still it was an idea.

(mutters to himself)

Yeah right Grogs being quiet! What was I thinking!!!!

Originally posted by SuperSulo:

"In case of QBs with Computer purchased forces, heavy weapons were deleted from the list of available weapons for the attacker" (eh, if that means what I think it means... AT guns are removed from the game when then computer buys a battalion)

Hehe, I believe that´s indeed what you think it is. I didn´t really know what was meant when reading it in German. Sorry for the Tarzan-English.

Nolloff

Originally posted by SuperSulo:

First of all, great patch! I take credit for 3 of the fixes: less sneaking support weapons, "In case of QBs with Computer purchased forces, heavy weapons were deleted from the list of available weapons for the attacker" (eh, if that means what I think it means... AT guns are removed from the game when then computer buys a battalion) and "too high fatigue need too long to revocer".

I know, I know, "others reported that before you, we found that out by ourself, that had nothing to do with that", but in my mind, I made it happen, and I'm sticking to that story. smile.gif

......SNIP.....

Hmmmm, yes. I believe Redwolf may have a thing or two to say about this self congratulation of yours. smile.gif

Regards

Jim R.

Bah. BFC, I'm gravely disappointed! :mad: You probably will ban me for my critique or lock this thread, but I shall stand as a martyr of truth! :mad:

You see, when I bought my CMBB, I thought it would be perfect. Not just halfway perfect but perfectly perfect, because I'm perfectly perfect myself. I was let down by you. :mad:

CMBB isn't perfectly perfect. I wouldn't go to say that it is perfectly imperfect either, but it is imperfectly perfect, and that makes it perfectly right to feel pissed! :mad:

First of course I expected Charles to devote enough time for patching CMBB until it perfectly satisfies everyone. But now I'm told, it's not gonna happen! :mad: IMPERFECT!!! I will never buy CMBB again!!! :mad:

Steve, Andreas....

Ok, I understand what you guys are saying smile.gif

CMBB is a great game, and missing a couple graphics models won't ruin the experience. I thought it would be nice to have all the models, but if that isn't feasible, I understand. There are sound reasons for not including all of them.

I'll get the new patch when it's out, and I'll be looking forward to CM2.

Others have said it before, but I haven't yet. It is nice to get a response from one of the creators of the game. I appreciate having your input Steve. And keep up the good work smile.gif

If you guys are anything like me, then you spend some time browsing in EB or Software Boutique or wherever - Have you noticed just how much JUNK software there is out there? I mean total crap.

When I can keep playing a game month after month, I know that I made the right purchase.

BFC's main job is to make me into a rabid fanboy, that buys their game, and tells his friends to buy it too. A job well done BFC. Make me another addiction, please.

I wonder if there was any possibility to improve the "follow vehicle" sub-command with a patch, so it'd function more like "shoot & scoot" does? Meaning that after choosing the vehicle to be followed, you draw another line from the vehicle to a nearby cover. The assigned troops would then move to this location, after destroying the vehicle, or running out of AT weaponry.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Hortlund,

I ask you to please snap your CD in half and send back the "half finished" game you purchased. I'll double my offer and refund you 2x the price you paid and send you two copies of GI Combat. If you don't take me up on the offer I can only assume that deep down you understand how completely off base your posts are.

Steve

Hey Steve,

Given your track record of outstanding customer service, I have to assume that this offer applies to anyone willing to post “completely off base” remarks. That being the case, I’d like to post some things that are just a little off base, not completely, and take advantage of just the GI Combat portion of the offer.

I plan to make my own WWII tactical combat game. I can’t improve CMBB, but I thought I could make some improvements to GI Combat. Even though we will be in direct competition, I thought you might want to give me some pointers. I’m all set with rubber cement (non-toxic!), welding goggles, some 30-weight relative bearing grease, and a Swiss Army knife. Can you think of anything else I might need?