No version control, bug?

Just noticed that it is possible to play PBEM games previously converted to 1.02 with just the 1.01 patch applied. Tested it on two games, both started on 1.01 and later converted to 1.02. They're both possible to load in both 1.01 and 1.02.

Is this the way it is supposed to work or did I have a bad upgrade? (I run both versions in parallell, made a copy of the 1.01 .EXE file before 1.02 was applied.) Anyone else noticed this? As I see it there's some possible cheat modes that are hereby activated (for example, if you defend against armor you may want to process the turn with 1.01 as that will increase the bogging risk for your opponent).

[ February 15, 2003, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Visom ]

Noticed this yesterday with one of my PBEM games ... I'm using the CDV version patched with the CDV UK patch.

I was using the 2 exe file method but opened the PBEM turn in the wrong version by mistake and it worked ... saved the file and sent it to my opponent, who had also gone to 1.02 and he had no problems with it.

Lou2000

The Readme file says it can't be done and there's a pretty big procedure on how to convert games from 1.01 to 1.02. However, I'd like a statement by BFC regarding if this is a problem or not.

If I play a PBEM game, will I have different results if I play it with 1.01 or 1.02? Things that comes to my mind are (from the Readme):

* Support weapons are less likely to switch to "sneak" movement when coming under only modest incoming fire.

* Bog frequency reduced for heavier vehicles.

* Corrected problems with units becoming excessively exhausted such that recovery took too long.

* Antiaircraft fire is somewhat reduced in effectiveness, and aircraft which are damaged are more likely to retreat before being shot down.

* When units follow a vehicle that is a sound contact the game will not inadvertently indicate the vehicle's true position.

* Airplane bombs have a more realistic (smaller) effect radius against upright infantry targets.

If the above cases give different results there will be persons exploiting this 'feature'.

this is interesting because I have been playing v1.01 against a beta tester who told me he was using v1.02 for more than 5 weeks now.

I figured the v1.02 he was using must have been a pre-release beta version specially enabled so he could test it against others playing v1.01.

I find this interesting because I recently upgraded to v1.02 and we are still playing the same game and he is still using v1.02 but now we both run and "crunch" or turns in v1.02 instead of him only crunching in v1.02 and me crunching in v1.01 the way it was when we started the PBEM

this is very curious :confused:

has there been any official BFC comment?

-tom w

[ February 17, 2003, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Hmmm still no view from the top on this one...

:(

This is quite important for us playing a tourney as I have sent a 1.01 turn back to a player who sent me it as 1.02

I am guessing that when I process the turn it will be done as 1.01 and when the other player processes the turn it will be done as 1.02.

Is this a good guess?

H

Originally posted by Holien:

Hmmm still no view from the top on this one...

:(

This is quite important for us playing a tourney as I have sent a 1.01 turn back to a player who sent me it as 1.02

I am guessing that when I process the turn it will be done as 1.01 and when the other

player processes the turn it will be done as 1.02.

Is this a good guess?

H

this would only be a guess

BUT given the high standards BFC likes to hold their games up, to I would GUESS smile.gif this issue ALONE should prompt a v1.02.01 release (that would be a very minor .02.01 version update)

I would think for the sake of tournements this should be addressed.

-tom w

[ February 17, 2003, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]