VERY nice review of CMBB now up at Strategy Gaming Online

A very nice review has just been posted over at SG Online. I have told them that the webnlinks at the end of the review are broke, hopefully they will get that fixed.

Another slight Faux Paux is that one screenshot seems to show some winter mods in play. Oh well.

Check it out!

http://www.strategy-gaming.com/reviews/combat_mission_2/index.shtml

Madmatt

I couldn't agree with this guy more (ok, well maybe I think the game is a little better than he does, like a 9.9) MadMatt. I still don't know how you guys made this game as good as it is! I have 9 PBEM going at once!

Oh and as for him saying "If it's a hit, we want brutal details on where it hit and what is the effect. If it misses, it will be tracked until it hits something or leaves the board". . .this couldn't be more true! Just happened to me in a PBEM game today! I shot an AT round at a panzer and it missed him, but it screamed furiously at a tank behind it about 500M and knocked it out!!

HAHAHAH H AH AH AHH AH H AH AH HA HA H!!!!! :mad: The huuummaaaanity!!! :mad:

10 for a manual without a proper index, assembled in an anti-intuitive manner, with badly reproduced greyscale images? :eek:

Come on! That discredits the rest of his comments.

Tutorials should always be at the front! The tonal range of screen images should always be adjusted for print! An index is NOT a table of contents! This is basic stuff that's been figured out since the Atari 800! Pick up the latest edition of The Chicago Manual of Style: it's all laid out for would-be manual writers. has been for decades.

It's a heartfelt effort and great for the grogs and techies, but a real stumbling block for newbies and anyone who wants to find something buried within.

I'm a long time technical writer, editor, reporter and author. I've written and edited scads of manuals and documentation. Trust me: it doesn't deserve a 10. Maybe a 7 and two points of that are from affection for the game. But never a ten!

(Anyone else volunteering to proofread and edit the next CM manual???)

from the review :

Pathological attention to details and simulation accuracy
Sure it doesn't only apply to the BFC team, the forum is a nice place too where this pathology is ruling...

I wish they had put a link to the scenario Depot, for me the N°1 place to extend the life of the game

That's got to be the most laudatory review I've ever seen.

I'll go along with chadwick- all those numbers look good to me, except for the 10 on the documentation; it's *sorta* deserves a 10, in a way, but... Only one person I think could give it a 10 for real- someone who is *already* very familiar with all these weapons and the history of yadda yadda...

The review does have one extreme problem, after he all but purchases the game for you, he doesn't even mention the Demo!! Not even once; go ahead, look for it. He mentions but doesn't link to this forum either, where my wit and other's wiles would surely finalize the sale of those still teetering with uncertainty. We need more fresh blood and dumb questions here- my number is too high still.

And I couldn't fail to notice that he uses UBB syntax instead of html, quote:

[sARCASM] Well that's not much of a list, is it? [/sARCASM]

Someone we know? Hmmm?

Eden

Becket you are correct, but in large part that is due to the poor quality and PDFing of manuals in the last few years. Let's call it grading on the sliding curve or grade inflation.

The CMBB manaual is quite good. Certainly it is much better than edition #1 of the strategy guide. However, Ichadwick's critisms are valid. It could have been better with few, mostly structural, changes.

(Anyone else volunteering to proofread and edit the next CM manual???)
I already volunteered to proofread for CMBB but they said no. I don't have a Masters in English but I have better spelling and grammatical skills than the guy who proofread this book. Oh yeah, and I also know the difference between a table of contents and an index. :rolleyes:

The manual should only get a high grade for BTS including so much information in it, not for it's presentation.

< putting my money where my mouth is > I'll volunteer to help read and edit a new manual. I have 30+ years in journalism - reporter, book editor, magazine editor, newspaper editor, columnist, tech writer, reviewer, playtester, researcher... and a large library of books on English usage, style and craft to draw on.< /putting my money where my mouth is >

[ February 03, 2003, 06:42 AM: Message edited by: ichadwick ]

10 for documentation probably means he's grading on a curve. Whatever quibbles you have about CMBB's manual it's head and shoulders above most other game manuals. Of course, Tombraider's manual didn't have to go into the finer points of historically accurate combined arms warfare!

As for the Euro BMP manual, I believe that was forced on CM and ASL. They didn't want to do an electronic manual but German software packaging requirments forced the issue.

[ February 03, 2003, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Resurrecting this from page 5. First off, thanks for the comments, good and bad. Since I have written the manual, I take them somewhat personally.

I can only repeat what I have already said before - I have tried to make an alphabetical index back when writing the manual, and it turned out to be dozens of pages. Some keywords had dozens of entries, and I am at a loss how somebody could have found what they were looking for quickly. Quite frankly, I found it a lot less useful than the logical index which I decided to include.

The whole manual is arranged in distinctive parts, each dealing with a specific aspect of the game, and it mirrors the logical index as a whole. I guess that's why people keep calling it a table of content.

But I digress. You guys keep asking for it, so I decided to quickly put together an alphabetical index. In trying to keep it short and useful, it's based on the printed index in the manual with the addition of some important keywords, and after a little cleanup. I hope you will find this useful.

You can download the index here:

Alphabetical index for CMBB manual

Martin