For those still waiting: Soviet novel on the razvedchiki called "Star" on the net

Since I have nothing better to do (no dice on my order as of yet), it seemed a good idea to transcribe this novel onto the internet.

The book, Zvezda, or "Star," was a very popular novel written in the late 1940s, and won the Stalin Prize for literature in 1947. The author, E.Kazakevich, drew upon his own experiences during the war to produce a rather good novel about the razvedchiki, or scouts. I've started the transcription process with two chapters, and will try to OCR a new chapter on a semi-daily basis. Click below to enjoy Kazakevich' work:

>>>Star<<<

Enjoy, comrades! ;)

[ September 25, 2002, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: Grisha ]

Fun fact: "Zvezda" is also the name of a Russian Plastic scale model company. They re-isssue a lot of the old Italeria kits.

As for the book. Is there any place to pick it up in Russian? Or any books in Russian. I'm learning to read/speak the language now and I could use some pratice materal.

hehe...that's how I justified my purchase of CMBB :D

Panzer Leader,

You think it's good now? Wait until the scouts really go about there business smile.gif

Nippy,

Yes, when I was in Russia at "Detskii Mir" I was sorely tempted to buy a few Zvezda aircraft models. More than a little tempted smile.gif As for getting a Russian copy, I'd check www.kniga.com. But you'll need to know Russian, of course.

[ September 25, 2002, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: Grisha ]

Great work Greg! The video you bought in Moscow...is it in PAL or NTSC format?

Anyway I'd be doing some of my own translation work as well, but all my free time is taken up with playing CMBB. Oh thats right, I'm sorry I didnt mean to rub salt into an open wound, but you still don't have the game yet tongue.gif

If only Seattle had decent mail delivery services like Portland :D

Bump.

BTW ...

The trouble with my machine was the Athlon AMD 1900XP+. It got so hot the motherboard was baked (think I had two fans in there). So, switching back to the cooler intels - unfortunately. This will most likely require a new install of WinXP (XP dislikes changes in hardware configs), which is a pain. So, I guess it can be expected that the machine will be back online by Wednesday, 2 Oct, at the latest. And, wouldn't you know, the frickin' games showed up the day after all this happened on Friday, 27 Sept - one week after they were most likely sent out. So, I still haven't seen the full version of CMBB yet.

[ September 29, 2002, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Grisha ]

This is great, thanks for taking the time to do it!

The only thing that sucks is that now I read through the first 5 chapters and have to wait for the others to arrive. Seems like there's been a lot of "anxious waiting for things to arrive" on this board yet! (what the hell, in the meantime I'll play CMBB, which thankfully is in safely my hard drive)

Murph

I should have chapter 5 up tomorrow - meaning about twelves hours from now.

Btw, people, if you see any grammatical or spelling errors, please point them out if so inclined. The OCR program tends to see the odd 'h' as a 'b', so on and so forth. I should spend more time going over it, rather than the cursory rush through.

[ October 10, 2002, 01:40 AM: Message edited by: Grisha ]

• 2 months later...