Essential Mods?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by BotD:

What mods do you find essential to get the most out of CMBB?

MikeyD's dirty winter roads - excellent must have

Any winter modd that makes yer armour white

p.s. anyone out there done a white wash for the Sdkfz 250/9?

Astrofox's uniform stuff e.g. white reds etc

I also like the father of none sound mods - loads of great destruction noises.

Hey once you embark on the road of mod slutdom there nae going back :D

Originally posted by Philippe:

..one thing I've noticed is that Undaunted's sky mods are incredible.

Yeah, i'd like to 2nd that. I just recently(3 days ago) dled all of Undaunted's hi-res sky mods and was wondering why in the hell i didn't before. They look great and i highly recommend them, a wonderful addition to the CMBB scenery. Great job Undaunted. smile.gif

Under Undaunted skies, my soldiers, clad in Uniforms designed by Andrew Fox, carry Juju's small arms, pray in Juju's churches, hide in Juju's trenches, conquer Juju's factories, while Tanks A Lot's awesome trees provide cover, and his small buildings offer shelter during the night. Should these be turned to MikeyD's rubble by enemy fire, the soldiers will have to sleep under one of Juju's wooden bridges.

Tree's, gridded terrain, explosions & fire, MikeyD's T-34 mods & the sky mods are vital.

Next terrain elements like buildings, hedges, wall's & bridges.

Then come the other vehicles mods my favourites include the PzIII's, KV's, Sherman's & SU's.

I personally rate the uniform mods as least important.

You're on the Eastern Front. You need winter mods for all vehicles, guns and troops! They were not included with the original game, and will not overwrite anything when you install them.

You also should look into the MCMMM mod manager to deal with mods that would otherwise overwrite original files and each other.

I'd be careful with the summer armour mods though, i had several tank mods that looked great when only this type of tank was on the map- but one designer's PzII next to another designer's Pz 38 might look strange. The standard tank bmps are nice, and they ensure uniformity. I consider terrain(buildings!) and winter uniform/gun/armor mods as being most important. I do not use gridded terrain, because it looks- well, gridded.

Sound mods are great, the original small arms sound a little puny.

Note that gridded terrain is a matter of taste. Some find it a necessary play aid, and some consider it to be not that useful and an unacceptable and unrealistic blemish on the landscape. A nice compromise that might make both sides happy would be a contour line toggle switch for CMx2.

As for sound mods, the problem with sound mods is that no matter how good they are they are a pain to install. You have to examine each sound individually against the original sound and then examine each group of sounds within the mod against itself before deciding to install it or not. Takes hours, and by the time you're done you've practically modded the thing yourself. And mod managers don't really help because you still have to decide whether you think the new sound is higher quality, more authentic, or simply 'cooler' sounding.

I am fairly new to this game and never seen the mods before the "big crash" that everyone talks about. But I have done a fair amount of hunting on cmmods. These are the mods I have used so far and I am very pleased with the esthetics compared to the original after using them:

7062_NO-NO

ABT508_TIGER

AF_150MM_CMBB

AF_VOLKSSTURM_CMBB

AF_WSS_1

AF_WSS_3

AMBUSH_PZIVH_TRACER

AMBUSH_SDKFZ7_GUNTRACTOR_TRACER

BG_EARLY_TIGER_I

CHURCH_JUJU

CITYROAD_PAVEMENT_UR_JUJU

CMBB_PAKFAN_TITLE_TIGER_2

DEY_CAMO_OST-WIRBELWIND

DRTYWNTRRDMIKEYD

EDS_SMALL_BUILDINGS

EDS_SMALL_WINTER_BUILDINGS

GERMAN_HALFTRACK_PACK_GELB_TRACER

GRASSYROAD-PUD

IS-2CAMOJH

JORGEMC_TIGER_SSCAMOUNIFORM

LTSNOBROWN_UT

MIKEYD_RUBBLE

MN_M4A2_76WSHERMAN

MN_WINTER_T34M41_V2

OSFOPENGROUND

realsmoke

SATIS-FACTORY_JUJU

SDOG_HIRESTREES

SDOG_WINTER_TREES

STONEBRIDGE_JUJU

STONEWALLS_JUJU

SUSET

TARKUS_DARK_STEEL

TIGER_VIE_LATE_VW

UD_MUZZLE_FLASH

UD_SKY_MOD_HI_RES_CLEAR_DAY

UD_SKY_MOD_HI_RES_DAWN

UD_SKY_MOD_HI_RES_DUSK

UD_SKY_MOD_HI_RES_OVERCAST

WOODENBRIDGE_JUJU

WOODENFENCE_JUJU

I also use mods that I have created myself though, they are not historically accurate but are very fun to me, my own camo designs and such mostly tanks. But not alot since I just started to mod CMBB for my own pleasure. I also changed the Nazi flags to my own logo LOL. Hope this helps a bit.

eg:XOkingTiger

XOtiger.jpg

sig.jpg

[ November 01, 2004, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: XOskeletal ]

I would recommend Tarkus' Steel Interface mod - gives the whole game a fresh look and VERY professional.

As for armour - everything by

andrewtf

Gordon Molek

Marco Bergman

MikeyD

mchlstrt

If you like dirt on your tanks look for Mr Noobie

Also look at my grey Panzer III's - one set weathered based on an original panzermartin mod and another set imported from CMAK that is more in keeping with BFC artwork.

The original PzIII's just arn't up to the same standard as most of BFC's armour.

I would recommend Tarkus' Steel Interface mod - gives the whole game a fresh look and VERY professional.
Definitely... Tarkus' Steel Interface mod is FANTASTIC. This mod improves one of the main issues I had with both BB and BO - the clunky interface. Tarkus deserves a pat on the back for such an excellent interface mod and, if you haven't got it yet, get it now!

George Mc ur right mate about no going back - one d/l and it's all over(my first was a Saturnin PZIII)BUT YOU ALWAYS WANT MORE(don't you) WHEN YOU GET HOME YOU PUSH PAST THE OUTSTRETCHED ARMS OF YOUR LOVING WIFE AND BABY(don't you)SIT AT YOUR PC LOGIN TO CMMODS SCANNING FURIOUSLY FOR A NICE SHINY NEW MOD TO PLAY WITH. But hey, that's enough about me.

What's so great is that practically every bmp has been modded several times over to suit almost every "look" you could possibly want. Me, I like a grainy, dirty, muted colours sort of digital battlefield so most of the vehicles done by Aristotles, Canon, Gautrek, JorgeMC, Mike Duplessis, MikeyD, Mr Noobie, Panzermartin and Saturnin have been/are on my h/d - special mention for the amazing Gordon Molek who way back in 2002 winter modded almost EVERY vehicle in the game(on the CMMOS site at www.Combatmission.com). Uniform modmeister has to be AndrewTF(his vehicles are cool too) but check out JorgeMC for grungier versions/variety. As for terrain I love DD's stuff(also on CMMOS), coz his world is such a good "texture" - DD, if you are out there, could you pl grid your grass if you had a moment? thx. Speaking of gridded terrain I sometimes use Captain Wacky's steppe and snow tiles otherwise imho it can be unrealistically difficult to spot those humps and bumps, but more power to those who don't use 'em. Juju's small arms, explosions, trenches are v good altho' hav'nt really explored his buildings mods as i tend to avoid urban warfare scenarios( too processor hungry for my ancient rig). Tarkus' interface is excellent and judging by the rave reviews my skies will be undaunted shortly. If any modders are looking for things to do might I humbly suggest you take a crack at some of the lesser known/rarer Soviet winter vehicles such as the T26 series and the various BT models as well as some of the lend lease tanks( Shermans, Matildas and Churchills altho' MikeyD's winter Valentines are as good as you can get). They hav'nt had as much mod attention as some of the more popular Russian vehicles( T34,KV1 etc).

Cheers everyone and, George Mc,I guess I'll be seeing you at the next MA(Modsluts Anonymous) meeting!

BotD,

See what you started? Now the dripping needle of modding is posed above your arm. At first just a few fixes are required, but then you want more and more and......

Then you become a Modslut.

The next thing you know you will be standing up in a group of people and announcing, "My name is David, and I am a Modslut".

Don't do it man!

DavidI

Originally posted by David I:

BotD,

See what you started? Now the dripping needle of modding is posed above your arm. At first just a few fixes are required, but then you want more and more and......

Then you become a Modslut.

The next thing you know you will be standing up in a group of people and announcing, "My name is David, and I am a Modslut".

Don't do it man!

DavidI

I DL'd my first mod just 4 or 5 days ago, now I have CMMOS, pretty much all the winter mods for all 3 games, most of the main vehicle mods for BO, some for BB & AK, new terrain for BO and the WaffleGrenadiers are but a distant memory, and the German flags have been restored to the historical ones. I'm hooked man! :D