any good book recomendation for stalingrad ?

Isaac A,

I believe you'll find THE SECRET OF STALINGRAD, by Walter Kerr, worthy of your time and attention, too.

There is considerable material here on various aspects of Stalingrad from the Russian side, but bear in mind this is pre Glasnost, i.e., before the West had good access to Soviet archives.

http://www.redarmystudies.net/index_sort.htm

Regards,

John Kettler

The best book ever written on Stalingrad is 'Stalingrad, Analyse und Dokumentation einer Schlacht' by Manfred Kehrig. It contains more and better information than all other books combined, but you have to speak German, and it is very, very hard to obtain. I myself found it after years and years of looking for it. It's remarkable how few good books are written about the Stalingrad-period.

Aragorn2002,

I can translate the title

Stalingrad, Analysis and Documentation (of) a Battle

Do I get partial credit? Seriously, sounds most interesting but am reasonably certain neither my budget nor my meager German is equal to the task.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ August 14, 2006, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Aragorn2002,I can translate the title

Stalingrad, Analysis and Documentation (of) a Battle

Do I get partial credit?

You do, John, now only 680 pages to go :D

I guess it is the bible on Stalingrad. I hope one day some publisher will republish this excellent book to make it available to a broader public.

And if you're up for a more literary diversion, German filmmaker and novelist Alexander Kluge's "The Battle" (Schlachtbeschreibung) It's a very good read, but I think it's out of print in English.

It's a very interesting novel structure, with the narrative created by stringing together various snippets of memoirs, contemporary press releases, sermons by clergymen back home, etc., to assemble a compelling thesis on how the Germans got into the whole mess.

Some of these snippets may be fictional. Know anything more about this, Andreas, or anyone?

I really enjoyed Beevers Stalingrad, but I never bought his Berlin book because I heard that it devoted a lot of space to the Red army atrocities. Every book that discusses the Soviet advance into Germany spends a lot of space on Soviet atrocities. It's hard to take.

Has any German member read "Stalingrad… bis zur letzten patrone" by Heinz Schröter 1954???

On Ebay.de it says, in short, that he wrote this book ordered by Adolf, and that he was given every piece of info available by Das „Oberkommando der Wehrmacht, des Heeres und der Luftwaffe. And that on June 21 1943 the book was forbidden by Goebbels as it would hurt the German people to much.

Anyone knows something about this story??