The Moderately Useful Artillery Purchase Guide

Here's a table of the points cost, blast value, reported time to target and rate of fire for all the different kinds of artillery in the game. I've been missing this data when buying arty in QBs.

http://www.speakeasy.org/~petersve/arty.htm

also as Excel spreadsheet:

http://www.speakeasy.org/~petersve/arty.xls

Reposted the tables Aug. 24. to also include estimated smoke duration, which is the average time a smoke shell puts out smoke, in minutes and seconds. In practice, this is the upper time limit for a useful smoke screen after a fire mission is ended.

I'm not sure how useful the smoke data is, but at least the table now shows which types of artillery can put out smoke and which can't.

Enjoy! (moderately)

[ 08-12-2001: Message edited by: Peter Svensson ]

[ 08-24-2001: Message edited by: Peter Svensson ]

[ 08-24-2001: Message edited by: Peter Svensson ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peter Svensson:

Here's a table of the points cost, blast value, reported time to target and rate of fire for all the different kinds of artillery in the game. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tack för länken Peter! Hoppas allt är

bra där i stora äpplet tongue.gif

--Rett

[ 08-09-2001: Message edited by: CMplayer ]

Ok, this is a bit sad but I had a spare 10 mins. I've calculated the what blast value you get per point spent using Peter's figures. So if bang per buck is your prime objective when purchasing artillery you might want to consider the following.

The most cost effective artillery in the game is the German 210mm rocket with a blast yield of 61.84 per point spent.

The most cost effective non-rocket artillery for the Germans is the 105mm with a blast of 40.25 per point spent.

For the Americans the most cost effective is the 81mm Mortar with a blast of 36.36 per point spent.

For the Brits the most cost effective is the 4.2" mortar with a blast of 40.86 per point spent.

This is probably an excercise in futility as factors such as time-to-target and scatter are totally disregarded, but what the hell, it kept me entertained for a while

Interesting stuff. Like Rex, I went and calculated bang/buck figures for all the arty using Peter's data. The results are interesting.

First off, all rocket arty is head and shoulders above normal arty. Germans get about 60 bang/point for all rockets. With normal guns, they get 36-40. However, the large dispersal of rockets should easily account for this. They are always a gamble.

Next, there is a slight decrease in bang/buck as caliber increases. This is not a large effect, though. For instance the American arty up to 105 gets 35 or 36 bang/buck; the big guns get 32. All in all, perhaps a 10% drop. This probably accounts for the ability of the larger calibers to affect armor.

Finally, VT is costly. Its bang/buck is maybe 3/4 or 4/5 that of normal arty. This may well be worthwhile, though, given the greater performance -- no way to know just given the numbers.

Perhaps the most important thing to note, is that there seems to be little or no bang/buck cost for lowered time to target. Another aspect of artillery that seems to not be charged for is firing rate. What this translates into is: take big mortars. This is especially true for Germans, with 3-4 minute waits for support. Waiting 2 minutes with Americans is not that bad, and they can seriously contemplate taking any arty they want.

So, the rule of thumb for mechanics should be: always load up on the large caliber mortars (120mm, 107mm).

ha! fellas, dont worry, you wernt the only ones you calculated those numbers either.( i did it awhile ago).

since i did that, i find myself buying american 4.2in mortors over 105mm. the 105mm cost 215pts, you get 100 "shots", and you get 35.8 fp/pt. the 4.2in gives you 80 shots for 164pts (51point difference), it comes down faster, and only 5 blast points lower! for the ami's you cant beat that!

I can't say I've bothered to check the figures or run any tests, but the above posts might be ignoring something:

Surely, in addition to ROF and scatter, we should consider the increased effect of the larger cal stuff.

I'm guessing here, but surely these puppies get a lot of 4:1 oddds happeneing when they make contact with the soft infantrymen. You can get a direct hit on a squad with an 81mm mortar, and it might kill 1 or 2, or just make them cower for a bit.

Hit 'em with 150mm and you'll panic the squad, possibly rout it, in addition to the casualties (which may indeed be proportionate to the blast).

Also, big blatters are MUCH more effective demolishing buildings. (They take less time)

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peaveyyyyyyyy:

I can't say I've bothered to check the figures or run any tests, but the above posts might be ignoring something:

Surely, in addition to ROF and scatter, we should consider the increased effect of the larger cal stuff.

I'm guessing here, but surely these puppies get a lot of 4:1 oddds happeneing when they make contact with the soft infantrymen. You can get a direct hit on a squad with an 81mm mortar, and it might kill 1 or 2, or just make them cower for a bit.

Hit 'em with 150mm and you'll panic the squad, possibly rout it, in addition to the casualties (which may indeed be proportionate to the blast).

Also, big blatters are MUCH more effective demolishing buildings. (They take less time)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to agree with this. I started doing some experimenting along these lines recently. While 105's and 150's have more shells, the effect per turn on the enemy is much greater for the larger guns. Units get suppressed 50 meters or so away when you call in the big guys and one shell can take out whole squads with a good hit and route/break units with a close hit. This just doesn't happen with the 105's or even the 150's to the same degree.

This all started when I was given an 8 in. gun spotter in a QB. I thought I got screwed at first due to the low number of shells but then I saw what that baby could do! I was defending a flag with a rag-tag group of partial units and managed to get the spotter in place just as the biggest wave of Germans moved in to storm the position. I thought I was going to loose the flag for sure but then the shells started falling. I had just lost my forward defense (a partial platoon) to close assault by about 7 squads plus support (HQ and MGs). The Germans were all in a wooded region (2 tiles) when ONE treeburst from the 8 in. gun hit the area and killed everyone in the area! That was about a company of Germans! Unfortunately, there were other Germans in the area that were hell bent on taking that flag but the 8 in. shells landing in the area completely suppressed their assault. After a couple turns of shelling all Germans in the assault (several hundred meter wide front contining several companies of men) were running for their lives.

Gotta love those big guns!!!!!!!

Alan

• 1 year later...

You can get a CMBO arty table in Excel format from the following site: http://users.erols.com/chare/cm/

I'm not sure if it's the same one mentioned in this thread though.

It's in a zip file, along with tables which cover *all* of the other units in the game.

There's also some CMBO scenarios for download there.

Enjoy... smile.gif

[ January 29, 2003, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: Flesh ]