Anyone ever install so many mods your game will barely run?

I have encountered it... needed to do a full re-install. Now I'm much more picky about MODS.

Be wary of the MDMP mods, as one of them has alot of hi-res stuff (or something...) that caused me major slowdowns. I picked them apart this time and it runs better for it.

I've only got Hi-Res buildings, and one Tiger. Everything else I convert to Lo-Res on my own (still look pretty sweet), and it REALLY seems to help the game keep flowing.

Hi-Res grass will kill your game speed the fastest.

EDIT: Nothing against the MDMP mods! There is some great stuff in them, but with testing I found them to chug my system...

------------------

"Fear is for the enemy...

Fear and Bullets."

[This message has been edited by Mr. Clark (edited 02-04-2001).]

Filled to the rim with bmp's. The sides of my case are bulging, and occasionally a few fall out onto the floor (thru the vent), so I keep a little broom handy. Fairly new computer, so no prob with slowdown.

However my last computer was a PII 300 with a Voodoo 2 card. Smoke bug looked awful, and mods slowed it down quite a bit. Still looked good, and now looks mahvelous.

Doubtless most are aware - I know most 3D games recommend using ctrl-alt-del to shut down everything except 'systray' and 'explorer' before loading. I never realised this at first but games do run much better now. Worst offenders were office toolbar and 'findfast'.

There's a program called End It All which will automatically shut down all running programs except for explorer and systray. You can find it at Cnet. It's a useful thing to have.

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super

hehe...we're talking moost of the hi-rez mods (excluding grass) on a 400MHz AMD with a 4MB 2D/3D Viper 330 card soooo...yess, MikeE, I _do_ know your problem :o)

and Apache is right, MS FindFast is the biggest speed killer...that's why it was the first thing I removed from my system when I got it...and because that was a long time ago, I don't remember right now how to permanenty remove FindFast from the system, but I'ld definitely recommend it to anyone, makes for a much more stable, and faster, system...

------------------

"Im off to NZ police collage" (GAZ_NZ)

My machine is going on 2 years old: Celeron 433 Mhz processor, Voodoo 3 2000 with 16 meg Ram, 128 meg system Ram.

I just updated from the subdued velvet (I think) low-res grass and terrain to the full DD hi-res terrain set. That is probably the main reason for the slow down, but like i said it sure looks good. It's actually not too bad on medium size battles and thats all I have going right now so I may stick it out. It's time for a hardware upgrade soon anyway!

BTW you guys are right that FindFast is a resource killer - I had killed that long ago.

Mike

That celeron 433 can easily become a celeron 600 or better. Time for a little overclocking.....

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

I´m running CM with a lots of hi-res mods on a Duron 800Mhz, 224Mb Ram and a Geforce 2MX.

Well, I also like to dogfight B 17s over the Ruhr, so what...

No problems at all with CM.

Except that the enemy artillery is WAY TOO GOOD!! Must be a bug, I know... Why else am I loosing my TCP/IP games...

:)

------------------

Klotzen, nicht kleckern!

Originally posted by MikeE:

I just updated from the subdued velvet (I think) low-res grass and terrain to the full DD hi-res terrain set. That is probably the main reason for the slow down,

Perhaps all of those smoking AFVs are playing a part in the slowdown... wink.gif

Guest Mikey D

Y'know, not all mods out there are HiRes. It's amazing what a little tender-loving-care can do to a good old default-res bmp file. I've found fantastic new trees, houses, vehicles, uniforms, faces, skies, etc. and only a small fraction needed to go HiRes.