The first war game? (Poll)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tactics 2 and Gettysburg, both with my father in 1972. The first game I played that I bought with my own money was Victory in the Pacific, and then I started playing a game called Tractics by TSR, which for the time was not bad at all, very much like a less well researched CM played on the table.

Around 1980 I played my first tourney game, Squad Leader (I played the Tractor Works at Suncoast Skirmishes).

Board Game: "Wood's Edge" by the Helen of Troy Game Company. It was one of those armymen games from the back of DC comic books. It was a really well thought out game. This was when I was 8. Anybody ever play it? They also advertised "Task Force".....hehehe

PC: The venerable "Panzer Strike" by SSI on the C64 (or Amiga, I can't remember). It had to be one of the very first squad level WWII wargames.....

Ahhh, the memories!!

-Ski

------------------

"The Lieutenant brought his map out and the old woman pointed to the coastal town of Ravenoville........"

Hmmm...First game that I comprehended the rules smile.gif War at Sea, I think it was 1977 or 78.

First Computer Wargame: Maybe Harpoon the original...

------------------

"Lack of weapons is no excuse for defeat"

- Lt. General Renya Mutaguchi, Commanding General, Japanese Fifteenth Army, 1944-1945

I seem to remember "Task Force." Anyway I ordered some army men from the back of one of the comic books. when they arrived, they were all flat, thin little units w/bases. I thought it was terrible. I sent em back. Must have been between 8, and 10 years old.

I remember getting two at once for Christmas of 64 or 65, Hit The Beach and Red Baron. (I think that was the name, had little Spads and Fokker D7's with stands and maneuver and ammo cards you could draw, each victory got you an extra card the next time you took off!) Both were by Milton Bradley and from the Sears Mail Order Catalog! Seems like there was a third one but my misspent youth was between then and now!

For PC (if you can call it that) B-17 on the Intellivision. Then I remember Mech Brigade for the AppleII.

------------------

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries!

[This message has been edited by Goofy (edited 01-21-2001).]

I think it was AH's Luftwaffe when I was about seven and soon after that was Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Thinking back on it my uncle must have been desperate for opponents to teach me those.

------------------

Navare

"I am determined to prove a villian..."

I actually made the first war game I played. It was a civil war based game, although not based on a real battle. I made a huge map and drew, colored, and cut out hundreds of units. At the time I did not know you could buy these things ready made. I was really pissed when I found out you could. I never did get to play against someone else, just played it by myself. None of my friends were into history or war, and still none of them are. Thank God for CM PBEM and TCP/IP! I recently found the game when I was cleaning out my closet when my mom sold her house. It hurt to throw it out remembering how much time I put into it. I also discovered why I couldn't find the dice for any of my other games like Risk and Monopoly. smile.gif

Boardgame: Jedkos' "Fortress Europa"

PC Game: "Sun Tsus' Ancient Art of War"

Art of war had pretty crappy graphics, but it encouraged basic kind of combined arms. Played that one lots smile.gif

JonS

------

If you eat well, and **** strongly

You will not fear death

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

I actually made the first war game I played. It was a civil war based game, although not based on a real battle. I made a huge map and drew, colored, and cut out hundreds of units. At the time I did not know you could buy these things ready made. I was really pissed when I found out you could. I never did get to play against someone else, just played it by myself. None of my friends were into history or war, and still none of them are. Thank God for CM PBEM and TCP/IP! I recently found the game when I was cleaning out my closet when my mom sold her house. It hurt to throw it out remembering how much time I put into it. I also discovered why I couldn't find the dice for any of my other games like Risk and Monopoly. smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Matt Ridgeway gets a round of applause for his Monopoly answer!

There was a book in the school library when I was in Grade 5 or so. It was written for about that level, but had an insert where you could play miniature wargames - squares, not hexes, but there were four games - a Midway like game, a Russian Front game, a Normandy landing game and an air assault game - medium bombers over France. I convinced my mom to let me steal it from the library, I wanted it so bad. (I am sure she paid the fine so they didn't lose any money) She coloured the pieces for me with pencil crayons and glued them to different coloured carboard.

I felt guilty about it for so long that last year I took some of my other favourite hardcover books on airplanes - written for that level - and donated them to the library. They never even thanked me (I didn't tell them why I was doing it, naturally!)

I will have to go check my book shelf to see if it is still there.

After that, I got into Squad Leader in junior high school. By high school, ASL had come out. I played M1 Tank Platoon when it first came out, along with F19 Stealth Fighter from Microprose. I think I designed my own text games for the computer in BASIC no less, as well, including a version of Up Front, the card game.

carrier.jpg

Ok, so it is there - and my mistake, it DID have hexes. Whattya know!

[This message has been edited by Michael Dorosh (edited 01-21-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Goofy:

For PC (if you can call it that) B-17 on the Intellivision. Then I remember Mech Brigade for the AppleII.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man, I had B-17 on Intellivision too. Didn't it seem ridiculously hi-tech at the time? Here we all are with the ability to do any sound mod we want for CM, and back then we had to settle for an obviously computer generated voice that had a vocabulry of what - two dozen words?

"Fighters, six (twelve, nine, three) o'clock! Uh-oh!"

"That was ON target..."

"Target Below..."

I think that was the extent of his abilities, wasn't it?

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Man, I had B-17 on Intellivision too. Didn't it seem ridiculously hi-tech at the time? Here we all are with the ability to do any sound mod we want for CM, and back then we had to settle for an obviously computer generated voice that had a vocabulry of what - two dozen words?

"Fighters, six (twelve, nine, three) o'clock! Uh-oh!"

"That was ON target..."

"Target Below..."

I think that was the extent of his abilities, wasn't it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only if you had that voice addon thingy... can you still remember the "intro"

"Mattel Electronics presents Bee Seventeen Bomber...." I would swear that the electronic voice had a southern "twang" to it. smile.gif

Add:No offense to any of our southern friends with their accents meant of course!!!

-Edited to make the post flame retardant.-

------------------

"...come from the sea with nitroglycerine, nitroglycerine and a ladder of rope, and a thing called hope..."

[This message has been edited by Der Unbekannte Jäger (edited 01-21-2001).]