Why send the "b" part of split squad to recon.

Did you know...

... that when one half of the split squad gets broken, but manages to survive and get back to platoon it DOES matter wich part of squad that was.

If "a" part of squad gets broken, and joined back (after they've recovered) with "b" part, CM "remebers" it and marks the whole squad as "!"

BUT

When you join previously broken "b" part back with fresh "a" part then...

voila! :eek:

...CM does not penalize the joined squad. And you can split them again (and noone gets ! mark).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Yog-Sothoth:

Do sumfink!!!!!!!

heheh okay, I can crawl back into my foxhole and die unmercilessly at the hands of my pbem opponnents. I didn't think that, THAT many Americans existed.....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ummm, call me crazy, but seriously, what did that post have to do with the thread topic?

That's almost as pointless as a typical Panzerman post.

[ 07-31-2001: Message edited by: Maximus ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kingfish:

Just curious,

Does the 'A' part contain the Sgt and the 'b' has the Cpl in command? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

if that is true, then does the game "know" who the officer/NCO is? i asked this question yesterday, and we came up with the answer as no. maybe 'b' is all the cooks! or those red shirted privates who set off ambushes!

Just had a thought and can't check it out, because I'm at work.

Can you split squads during setup phase? Was thinking this way during a defensive setup, you could get 2 sets of foxholes. Like 1 on the front slope and the other on the protected back slope.

If anyone knows, great. Otherwise will have to try it tonight.

Guest BigAlMoho

I believe the squad automatic weapon stays with the "b" half which make it less than ideal for scouting...

Also, I suspect that half-squad foxholes do not protect a whole squad as well as a whole-squad foxhole...

Al

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Yes, splitting squads to gain double foxholes is a recognised trick. You can either fool the enemy into thinking you have double the troops, or you can set up a secondary defensive line and then rush your men forward to the primary line. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I hadn't thought of that, was thinking more of a second defensive line to fall back too, but those are good ideas, too.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BigAlMoho:

I believe the squad automatic weapon stays with the "b" half which make it less than ideal for scouting...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It actually varies with different squad types. For example, the SAW goes with the b team when using US 44 Rifle and British Rifle, but goes with the a team with German Rifle 44.

Guest BigAlMoho

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vanir Ausf B:

It actually varies with different squad types. For example, the SAW goes with the b team when using US 44 Rifle and British Rifle, but goes with the a team with German Rifle 44.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting... I will pay a little more attention... I wonder, is the "!" situation tied to the half-squad with the SAW?

Interesting... I will pay a little more attention... I wonder, is the "!" situation tied to the half-squad with the SAW?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a good question. I don't know.

Steve said recently that units that have been spotted and ID'd, that get back to a hidden status, will always be returned to the same ID level if spotted again.

So if you have a half squad, that is spotted and ID'd completely, get back to hidden and rejoined to its other half squad, what state will it be in if re-spotted and ID'd?

Also, I suspect that half-squad foxholes do not protect a whole squad as well as a whole-squad foxhole...

Al<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Al, do you mean a whole squad will not fit into the half-squad foxhole? In the game, it says the whole squad is indeed in the foxhole. So is there some special coding that we don't know about? That seems contrary to the level of detail that BTS has coded already (as in, that seems like too much detail for BTS to code into the game for something that would not be noticable).

With regards a full squad covered by a half squad -- this reminds me of the complaint that when you have a squad in a building and you split it sometimes 1/2 appears next to the building and outside it -- it probably is the same -- if your wondering sometimes that your men are taking extra hits in a building -- this could be the reason.

Somwtimes I've split a defending squad in the set up phase producing two foxholes; when it came to turn 1 they joined but B squad moved over into A squad's hole -- does this means I now have a trench? I doubt it but those boys will not stay separate!

"FOXHOLE" is not ONE foxhole. Rather, it denotes terrain with, abstracted, enough foxholes to provide cover to the unit occupying the terrain. Hence, it matters not if you create a foxhole using a half-squad, then rejoin the squad halves in that foxhole or, conversely, create a foxhole with a squad, and then split the squad up.

If the "located in" is FOXHOLE, that unit is IN that foxhole.

DjB