Totally Amazing site, go there NOW

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Page 1 has some colour photos obviously stolen from a US Cavalry regiment web site - I have seen them before; I wonder how many of these photos have been misappropriated from other places and not credited. This is one of them:

fotocol.025.jpg

This set of photos was taken by an American photographer; the ones of US tanks are absent from the collection here - wonder why, eh? :mad:

Another quasi-nazi site.

http://angriff.narod.ru/fotopage/fotocol190.jpg

Caption to the above picture proves my statement.

Caption to this http://angriff.narod.ru/fotopage/fotocol.043.jpg

picture says that "bolshevik" had thrown grenade at that guys tank.

Why bolshevik??? Maybe he was my grandfather?

He never been a bolshevik. He did not like bolshevik. He hated bolsheviks. But he had thrown grenades at nazi because he had VERY GOOD

Another quasi-nazi site.

http://angriff.narod.ru/fotopage/fotocol190.jpg

Caption to the above picture proves my statement.

Caption to this http://angriff.narod.ru/fotopage/fotocol.043.jpg

picture says that "bolshevik" had thrown grenade at that guys tank.

Why bolshevik??? Maybe he was my grandfather?

He never been a bolshevik. He did not like bolshevik. He hated bolsheviks. But he had thrown grenades at nazi because he had VERY GOOD REASON

TO DO THAT!

Well, I posted this for the excellent photographic resource that it is, and for no other reason. I for one am amazed and delighted by the find, and some of my questions pertaining to certain equipment has been at last answered.

I will even add that my "My Pictures" folder is much larger now than it was two hours ago, and I feel no guilt. As a matter of fact, I do not believe (though I am no expert) that there is any copyright law for photographs used on a web-site. The only law I know of for photographs deals with using them for monetary gain (such as publishing them in a book or magazine or for offering them for sale) and the only other law I know of covers photographs of works of art.

Besides that, isn't there some 50 year rule even for published works?

Anyhow, not being able to read Russian, I have no idea if the site is pro-nazism, pro-communist, anti-semitic, or anti-american. To me, it is a bunch of AWESOME pictures. Many that I have NEVER seen before and didn't even imagine existed.

If someone else would like to shed some light on copyright law, I would be interested. Wow, the international aspects of the internet really complicate things!

No need to feel guilty - I just think the webmaster should have at least acknowledged where he got the pictures from. There are some awesome American pictures as part of the same collection that others might like to see.

50 years or not (and I believe you're correct on that) credit where credit is due never hurts.

I scan stuff all the time for my site(s) but I give a credit where known.

It would also make the collection much more interesting - ie putting dates and places to some of those photos.

Copyright law applies to anything fixed in tangible form. Photographs, even ones that are scanned or digital, count. And the copyright to an image (or whatever) doesn't go away just because somebody publishes it on a website (legitmately or not)

For works created after 1978, copyright lasts for the life of the author plus 70 years. For works created before 1978 (such as those pictures) things can be a bit more complicated, and stuff might or might not still have copyright attached to it (I get confused here. Stuff about renewing copyrights and so on. A good rule of thumb if you are concerned about copyright violations is to assume something is copyrighted unless you can prove otherwise) Works created for the federal government are not copyrighted. (So pictures of tanks shot by and for the Army are probably ok to copy.)

There's more info to be found here (for US copyright law):

http://www.loc.gov/copyright/

or here (The Berne Convention, if you happen to be interested in international copyright issues):

http://www.law.cornell.edu/treaties/berne/overview.html

Surlyben

[edit: Cool site, by the way... :D ]

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: SurlyBen ]</p>

Some of these pics should settle the issue of whether the grey painted on Panzers is closer to black or more greyish colored. Here's a good example.

[Edit: Damn no direct linking of images, just go to gallery 11 and look at the two IV D or Es on the page. It's a very black color.]

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: panzerwerfer42 ]</p>

Most are standard propaganda shots taken from Signal Magazine. I've seen a lot of them published in various other publications, including the Purnell's History of the Second World War and Orbis's World War Two magazine sets which I collected as a kid (both excellent histories and I have all 28 volumes gracing my bookshelves still).

Copyright is hideously complicated. You're right that basically, under the Berne Convention, anything we publish, be it electronic or otherwise is covered by copyright. These images though, might well be in the public domain as the copyright holder (the Third Reich) has disappeared and it'd be very complex trying to sort out who owned it.

Interestingly, its always been explained to me that if you alter a work/image and then publish it, even if you don't own the copyright to the original image, you then own the copyright to the altered image. So, if someone then republishes your altered version of the image, you can then sue them for publishing the altered image without your permission, even if, at the same time you're being sued for having published the original image! Ah, isn't litigation a wonderful thing? ;)

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by panzerwerfer42:

Some of these pics should settle the issue of whether the grey painted on Panzers is closer to black or more greyish colored. Here's a good example.

[Edit: Damn no direct linking of images, just go to gallery 11 and look at the two IV D or Es on the page. It's a very black color.]<hr></blockquote>

That's funny! I was looking at the same pictures and thinking just the opposite!

:D

Michael

When interpreting colours from photos one should be very careful. Remember, the filters, light and perhaps most importantly, the detoriation of the original negatives/photos as well as the type of film on which the photo was originally taken all influence the way the colour turns out in the photo.

In addition, you should also remember that the actual colour of the paints in use were quite variable, depending upon the type of paint that was used, the way it was thinned and the method used to apply it.

The official colour could well be quite different from the one which was eventually used in the field. Panzer Grey could vary from a light grey right through to a very dark, almost black colour. Same for Afrika Korps Yellow, which was the sand colour which Panzers were painted in, at the factory from 1943 to late 1944. It could be quite light yellow varying through to a very dark yellow. Panzer Grey by 1944 was quite rare as a colour BTW, having been largely replaced by, initially the Afrika Korps Yellow colour and then Dark Green, as the base colour for all vehicles.

I don't see why someone decided to say this was a Nazi site.

Disclaimer taken from site home page (click the house icon to get to home page).

"Предупреждение!

Данный сайт посвящен истории Второй Мировой Войны и не пропагандирует идеи нацизма."

Which translates to...

"Warning!

This site is dedicated to the history of the Second World War and does not preach the ideas of fascism."