HEY BTS! A Frustrated Scenario/Operations Designer Speaks Out! (Constructively)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Drift:

BTS, How about giving us an estimated time of response on this question?

Drift, how about exercising some manners, please and thank you. As mentioned earlier, people do take a break from the computer once in awhile. Hopefully Steve et al have taken a weekend off to avoid some burnout. Maybe they are busy working away on the random operation feature for CM2 ( biggrin.gif)

I am keenly awaiting an answer on this one as well, but let's not start making pushy demands. They will get to it when they get to it. Their response time has always been good, let's not start taking it for granted and pissing them off unnecessarily.

In the meantime, perhaps the operation designers like Franko would care to post some tips and advice based on their past experience with the operation editor. Even if it is a case of "don't do this cause it doesn't work right and I don't know why" would be a help - and more constructive than nagging BTS.

------------------

http://wargames.freehosting.net/cmbits.htm

I'm sure this has been posted before, so I'll kill 2 birds with one stone. Bump and offer my thoughts on ops.

I tried one. I got through the first battle without much action. I stopped the AI cold in his main attack. However, he drove through the weeds to come out just in front of my prepared positions on the other side of the map. Thing is, his tank showed up about 200m behind my guys on the other side of the map. So in between battles I got pushed back out of a perfectly defensible position. At no time did the AI penetrate my defenses, yet I was pushed back. That pissed me off so much that I quit.

So here is what I propose. The next battle picks up where the previous battle left off. This allows for pockets to develop. If there is a pocket, they obviously do not get resupplied. Otherwise, the line is drawn such that there is equidistance between the forward units of each side in finite increments horizontally across the map. For example, from the left edge to 40 meters in, the line could be 100m from the bottom. From 40-80m, the line could be 60m from the bottom. From 80-120m, it could be 140m. And so on. The deadzone would be the minimum distance between the opposing forces in each 40m horizontal sector. This could allow dead zones of say as small as 10m and as large as 500m (however, if no forces are present in that sector, then extrapolate/interpolate from the adjacent sections).

This would allow salients, pockets, undulating lines and a much more dynamic battle. If you get reinforcements, it's your choice where they come in so long as they start a certain distance back from the fronts and do not reinforce encirclements. You would have to decide whether to save your "little Stalingrad" or let them wither on the vine. You would have to decide whether to keep pushing in your salient or attack into the flanks of your opponents salient.

There it is, my 2cents worth of constructive bump.

[This message has been edited by Juardis (edited 02-05-2001).]

Suggestions for future map/scenario design capabilities...this is probably a big coding change:

1) Make map files independent of scenario and operation files. This way we could swap maps between scenarios and operations.

2) Allow loading of the custom map files for quick battles. This would allow for some easy testing of maps as well as more interesting quick battles whether vs AI or vs human.

Ren

Originally posted by Renaud:

Suggestions for future map/scenario design capabilities...this is probably a big coding change:

1) Make map files independent of scenario and operation files. This way we could swap maps between scenarios and operations.

2) Allow loading of the custom map files for quick battles. This would allow for some easy testing of maps as well as more interesting quick battles whether vs AI or vs human.

Ren

Absolutely agreed!!

Plus the ability to "shift" terrain around in the map editor.

Re: Operations - I've only tried my hand at one, but I wanted to simulate a very specific operation - basically the Allies have to cross a 1600 metre long causeway that is only 40 metres wide. I widened it to 60 m as it seemed to work better in the game - the challenge is not in maneuver, but in using artillery and stealth properly to inch down to the end of the Causeway - after that, the amount of casualties taken by the attacker will affect his ability to fight off German counter-attacks.

I thought making this an assault scenario would be perfect - requiring the Allies only to make it as far as the far end of the causeway in the first battle. The map extends a few hundred metres beyond, and the Allies have to form a bridgehead, while the Germans have to push the Allies back onto the Causeway.

I didn't realize I could only use part of the map for the first battle, so I had to change that; then the game kept ending after the first battle no matter how well the Allies did. So I changed it to a destroy type operation, though I was left with no idea of how to encourage the Allies and Germans to mix it up, that being the type of operation it was. With a 1600 m causeway seperating the forces, the Allies could then just whale away with 5.5 inch arty and not have to cross over at all and still win.

I tried to be gamey in OP. Thats not very hard. In AI attack operation i ran 1 platoon of my forces to the top end of map in cover(AIs rear)

This little platoon pushed enemy attack of multiple tanks 1km back to next battle.

Gamey defence is easy in OPs. Just run some sniper to the end of map at night and you will push your opponent back.

Originally posted by illo:

I tried to be gamey in OP. Thats not very hard. In AI attack operation i ran 1 platoon of my forces to the top end of map in cover(AIs rear)

This little platoon pushed enemy attack of multiple tanks 1km back to next battle.

Gamey defence is easy in OPs. Just run some sniper to the end of map at night and you will push your opponent back.

That's why it's imperative that the lines be left alone. In my example above, your sniper would possibly be surrounded. You would be allowed to move him around at the start of the next battle within his circle, but he would be cutoff and not resupplied. To calculate entrapments, you would simply draw a 40m swath back to your forces. If any non-vehicle crews, non-broken forces are in that 40m swath, then you're encircled. Otherwise, you have a salient.

Obviously, there's more thinking required that what I'm presenting. But the idea is there if BTS cares to respond. Speaking of which....

bttt biggrin.gif