Tell Me Again How Great the 7/2 Is....

I have yet to use one of these in a game due to pretty much everyone not wanting them in battles because of the myth surrounding them.

I did a search and saw that Steve posted how they can take out TD's with ease. Now, looking at the numbers, I don't see how one of its AP rounds will pierce a TD from the front. Am I to assume it will kill it's target with a gun hit while stealthy avoiding incoming AP rounds? Or does the 7/2 only kill from the side or rear? What will happen on average if I put one up toe to toe against a Sherman or TD?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

I have yet to use one of these in a game due to pretty much everyone not wanting them in battles because of the myth surrounding them.

I did a search and saw that Steve posted how they can take out TD's with ease. Now, looking at the numbers, I don't see how one of its AP rounds will pierce a TD from the front. Am I to assume it will kill it's target with a gun hit while stealthy avoiding incoming AP rounds? Or does the 7/2 only kill from the side or rear? What will happen on average if I put one up toe to toe against a Sherman or TD?<hr></blockquote>

Why you don't play a QB against the AI purchasing forces for both sides and look what happens? Is more fun than a write answer.

If you mean the flak halftracks with the 37mm or 20mm cannon, they are generally considered to be gamey when used in games against other people. The reason is that they aren't armored at all, so tanks don't shoot AP rounds at them, they shoot HE rounds under them so the blast kills them. However, this makes them a lot harder to kill, giving them an unrealistic advantage, especially against zooks, 57mm ATGs, and similar units with very little blast.

The 20mm will take out the M18 without any problem, and I think it might be able to kill the M10 as well.

Col. Deadmarsh, set up a scenario like this:

Flat map, no features

1 Sd KFz 7/2

versus

3 Daimler AC's & 3 Grayhounds. (Add AC's & Grayhounds to taste)

90% + of the time the 7/2 will kill all of the Allied vehicles and not get a scratch.

AP ammo is useless versus 7/2's or 7/1's

Gyrene

Once upon a time in a scenario far,far away there lived a Sdkfz7/2. One day while out driving he met some strangers. He reversed up and down just in front of his new friends and killed two Daimlers, one Humber, three MMG Carriers, one White Scout Car, a Jeep and occupants, a Sexton and mauled two squads of infantry all inside two minutes. For he was a magical half track impervious to AP, HE and small arms. When he'd finished introducing himself he drove away and lived happily ever after.

Not one of my finest hours.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Doodlebug:

Once upon a time in a scenario far,far away there lived a Sdkfz7/2. One day while out driving he met some strangers. He reversed up and down just in front of his new friends and killed two Daimlers, one Humber, three MMG Carriers, one White Scout Car, a Jeep and occupants, a Sexton and mauled two squads of infantry all inside two minutes. For he was a magical half track impervious to AP, HE and small arms. When he'd finished introducing himself he drove away and lived happily ever after.

Not one of my finest hours.<hr></blockquote>

Lol, funny one.

Well, I hate doing these "experiments" but I set up some tests with 7/2's going against Shermans and TD's. 1 7/2 against 2 Allied tanks in each fight. The 7/2's were destroyed but not before the 7/2 got a few shots on the tanks. Of course they were all richochets except for one gun hit.

This wasn't the best test but it gave me an idea of how lethal the truck would be against lighter vehicles. I still wouldn't put it up against a Sherman or TD though.

Not one of my finest hours.<hr></blockquote>

The Limey stuff sounds suspiciously like one of my earlier scenarios. Hmmmm...

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

Lol, funny one.

Well, I hate doing these "experiments" but I set up some tests with 7/2's going against Shermans and TD's. 1 7/2 against 2 Allied tanks in each fight. The 7/2's were destroyed but not before the 7/2 got a few shots on the tanks. Of course they were all richochets except for one gun hit.

This wasn't the best test but it gave me an idea of how lethal the truck would be against lighter vehicles. I still wouldn't put it up against a Sherman or TD though.<hr></blockquote>

Try it against one of the early game Sherman fireflys (when they have no HE ammo). Matter of fact, try it against a platoon of the things...

I do believe you're right Andreas. Oh how those naughty CM player's abuse the pure science of scenario design. Once the genie's out the bottle you just can't put it back!<hr></blockquote>

Well, I could just do a new version without the vehicle in it. I did the scenario before the bug was discovered though. Anyway, that's my line and I am gonna stick to it :D

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Tanaka:

I don't know if read this one, but any way, I think you will find what you are loking for in here

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=016215

Hi Argie... How are you doing ? Hope well, been a long time ;)

By the way, wasn't with you I 1st sow this problem... :D

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: Tanaka ]<hr></blockquote>

Hi! I'm fine. Thanks!

No, wasn't with me, was against me you saw it ;)

BTW, I have played games against them and killed them without troubles.

With the proper tactics, they are as vulnerable as any Panther :D

its very simple

if I there is a chance that a german player can be attacked by planes he should be able to buy mobile FLAK

nothing gamey on that,what would be gamey is that an allied player can buy planes and the german player than is not allowed to buy flak

since there were no Wirblewinds around early 44 ,you must be able to buy the flaktrucks

Use them in the role they are intended for and not have them move around hunting for vehicles

Oh and I did a test with a platoon of these against an infantry company.

They were gone very fast,60mm ,M2 andd light infantryfire kills them fast

As people said, killing them from guns and tanks is broken, see thread 017981.

In addition to that, they have the extremly high hit chance of multiple-round AA guns, so they can basically will everything you have besides thick tanks. A standard Sherman is vulnerable below 500m or so.

"if only they could have produced a larger version carrying an 88"

They did. It was based not of the Sdkfz 7 but on the larger, 18 ton Skdfz 9, the largest halftrack of WW II. Unarmored, and looks just like the 7, except bigger (27 feet long, 9 feet tall). It had 250 hp and was originally designed as a tank recovery vehicle, before the war.

During the war it recovered tanks up to the Pz IV, and in pairs they could even tow Tiger Is. For this role it had cranes attached, which could lift up to 11 tons. It was also used as the prime mover for 210mm and 240mm guns.

A field mod special vehicle used the cranes to place a 88mm FLAK on the rear deck, and then as "outrigger" arms to stabilize the vehicle when fired. Peiper had several of these jobs with his column in the Bulge.

You will see them described in the American histories as "self propelled 88s", and they were not Nashorns. Nor in this case were the Americans wrong, and calling something an 88 that wasn't. They really made SP "portee" 88s this way, though in limited numbers.

For what it is worth.

I have a picture of a half-track tractor mounted 8,8cm Flak from the campaign in France, and there is a clear reference in Glantz' 'The initial period of war on the Eastern Front' to two of these being with an attached Flakabteilung to (IIRC) 6. PD in Heeresgruppe Nord during the opening stage of Barbarossa, where they saw action against KV-1. Incidentally, a Lieutenant Helmut Schmidt in that unit would become prime minister of Germany 1974-1982. No idea about numbers of these vehicles though.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by redwolf hates artillery:

As people said, killing them from guns and tanks is broken, see thread 017981.

In addition to that, they have the extremly high hit chance of multiple-round AA guns, so they can basically will everything you have besides thick tanks. A standard Sherman is vulnerable below 500m or so.<hr></blockquote>

HE doesn't kill it any better, since direct hits are not modeled at all and movement of the target is not taken into account, tanks always fire on the current position, not as for armour to the position that the target will be in when the shell is there.

I will second the claim that these aren't as tough as people make them out to be. Granted, certain weapon systems are at a significant disadvantage in a way that is not realistic compared to real life. But I've seen them taken out by infantry squads at ranges above 150m, and other VERY common weapon systems can take them out as well without too much trouble. As most battles should be infantry heavy to be considered realistic anyway, killing a 7/2 shouldn't be a problem.

They're only broken defensively versus AP only vehicles. Offensively, they're like any other Flak/high ROF guns. (which of course many people claim to broken as well, but that's a different issue).

Maybe their TacAI can be tweaked in CMBB to disengage much more quickly when under any sort of tank fire.