War Gamers Pole

To me, CM completely takes care of my needs for tachtical WW II combat and I don't see anything on the horizon, except of corse CM 2, that will come anywhere close to matching whats been accomplished here. Also I do not feel that a operational or strategic game of WW II or any war for that matter has been done right yet. Someday someone like Steve and Charles will come along and dedicate themselves to doinfg for operational games what CM did for tactical war games. That being said I would like to know what games on the horizon each of you CM gamers are most looking forward to. Personally I look forward to the pacific theatre games currently in the oven at 2by3 games. What do you think?

Guest Mirage2k

I'm eagerly awaiting the release of "Bonk'em Madmatt," the sure-to-be-a-hit title based on the popular Combat Mission BBS. Players assume the role of Madmatt, and are tasked with locking (or "bonking," in game vernacular) inappropriate threads as they pop up with increasing frequency.

-Andrew

------------------

"No, it's not that kind of relationship. We're just friends. We are together all the time, but I never touch her porcelain skin, her soft, red lips, like rose petals from the emperor's bathwater! Bathwater, I tell you, bathwateeeeeeer!"

I tend to think of games in terms of scale. Sometimes I want to push a Panzer Army towards the Meuse at 10km a hex, and sometimes I want to get down a dirty with a bayonet in my hand and veins in my teeth and etc. etc...

CM handles my tactical, squad-level needs better than anything ever has. I feel like I've been waiting for this game all my life.

But when it comes to individual man-level combat, I'm most looking forward to Shrapnel's ALL AMERICAN: 82nd AIRBORNE IN NORMANDY. On the science-fiction side, I hope that Interplay's FALLOUT TACTICS lives up to its potential.

The flight simulation I'm most waiting for is Blue Byte's IL-2 STURMOVIK.

For the operational level, I've recently rediscovered THE ARDENNES OFFENSIVE (which is *free!*). I also have a copy of Shrapnel's COMBAT COMMAND 2 on the way, and it looks good from the reviews.

Martyr

I am waiting impatiently for a soon-to-be-released game which is called "Combat!"

Basically it is one on one, tank against tank in a glowing maze.

It could be considered tactical...

------------------

And King Xerxes looked to King Leonidas and spoke. "Our Archers will rain arrows down upon you to blot out the sun."

And King Leonidas replied: "Then we will fight in the shade."

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

I am waiting impatiently for a soon-to-be-released game which is called "Combat!"

Basically it is one on one, tank against tank in a glowing maze.

It could be considered tactical...

don't forget the air component: got some fine balance there, three small fighters are more manueverable than the big one but can't tanke as many hits...the tank ai is patient, waiting for you to make a false move, willing to sit there and wait you out.

------------------

russellmz,

Self-Proclaimed Keeper for Life of the Sacred Unofficial FAQ.

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

But when it comes to individual man-level combat, I'm most looking forward to Shrapnel's ALL AMERICAN: 82nd AIRBORNE IN NORMANDY.

Is this game still in development? I haven't heard anything about it in a long time. I liked 101st, but sometimes it got a little frustrating trying to just move the soldiers across the map when nothing was happening. I hope they come up with a solution for this for 82nd.

As for operational games, is anyone playing HPS's Panzer Campaigns series? I have read good reviews of these games.

I've only been playing CM now for about 3 months, I guess, long enough anyway to run off my wife and the kids think something is wrong with me, but I can't think of anything else but CM2. I've tryed others but there's just no comparing. CM rules! as my daughter would say.

Gosh, after flushing 2 operations "Drive to Mortain" and "A Day In The Cavalry", I finally got the grisp of how operation should be played and now I simply want more and more and more! Now I have a rush to take out my pb and play a turn or 2.

BTW, "Drive to Mortain" really touches your mood as the German defender.

And Micheal, I have finished testing your "Climax at Nijmegen Bridge" as German against Allied AI, I am going to post a report after I tried Allied. Don't worry (sweating).

From what I have read in CGO newsletter, Harpoon 4 is still looking forward in a summer 2001 release.

IL-2 sure is nice. I have read the previews at CombatSim.com (Yuk! Paid subscription required) Don't forget "Lock On!" from SSI's Flanker team where you can file MiG-29C/K, Su-39, F-15 and A-10 (YES! Warthog!) When my 1.2G TB complete, I finally have a descent machine to fly Flanker2, Falcon4, etc.

Why no one mention "GI Combat"?

Griffin.

P.S. Make sure you mix CM with another games in this thread or you will find this thread locked in a blitz. wink.gif

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

I was really looking forward to that Sturmovik game, too, and I thought I might check out B-17, the Mighty Eighth, but I've just caught a bad case of the CM bug, and I don't imagine I'll be spending much time on flight sims anytime soon. I picked up a cheap copy of Mig Alley recently, and I've only played around with it once. I'd still like to get my hands on a copy of Panzer Elite, though.

Hey,

Well, I play everything, so lets see...

Flashpoint 1985 is at the top of the list.

Then, Black and White (pre-ordered) and Gran Turisimo 3 (also pre-ordered wink.gif). Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance (PS2) is also on the wanted list.

Other goodies I am looking forward to include Nishi's 7.5 mod for Urban Ops this Saturday and the ongoing beta updates to TOTTv.2 (also for Urban Ops).

Chris

------------------

What the hell is a Jagdcarcajou?

CM Recon

Cause there is no way I can setup my men properly.

OTOH, ops like "A Day in the Calavy" have great flexiblity that both sides can setup their troops with greater tactical flexibilty. I was able to avoid some exteremely nasty defense towards the end. (Sorry no spoilers given here). Sweet!

Keeps the balls in the court.

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

I think Harpoon 4 is about the only title I'm waiting for... (why not, I have the other three and Fleet Command!!) Actually, my wife is getting nervous... no new games since before Xmas... it's freaking her out when I go into EB and come out empty handed!!

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Well, I been waiting for Duke Nukem Forever for like FOREVER! WarCraft III is also on my list of wants. The only Wargame I look forward to trying is that SPWaW, but at over 300 MB of download I'm waiting to get cable modem or DSL before downloading that puppy. Just yesterday I went out and bought Zeus: Master of Olympus. Havent had time to play around with it too much yet. Earlier tonight I was going over the tutorials. With a 40+ hour job and school I dont have time for games like I used to.

~Skott~

The games I'm most waiting for are "Black and White" and "Freedom Force" (a superhero RPG by some of the people who did System Shock II). Both non-wargames; there isn't much in the wargame area that really interests me (CM2 an obvious exception here).

GI Combat could be fun, but I can't say I'm hanginy out for it. Harpoon 4 could be ok. I'd love to see Decisive Action but suspect it's vapourware. Ditto with Road to Moscow.

The HPS stuff is ok, but I'm really over hex based games for the most part, so I can't get too excited about them.