I Gotta Great Idea!!!

How about a medic?

the medic will be only one man like the sharpshooter, When you give him the command to treat someone itll restore one casualty on a squad,HQ,Crew,Etc. and he will have limited supplys and can only restore 10 men and is only armed with a pistol

feedbacks?

Please, don't do this. Next we'll get a "Mechanic" to get vehicles running again. Then it's only another step to the "Wizard" with a spell to change the weather.

Seriously, in the time frame a game covers, getting up to 10 casualties back to full combat effectiveness seems a little miraculous.

I seem to remember a medic in my son's Command & Conquer or something similar. Let's leave it there.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave H:

Please, don't do this. Next we'll get a "Mechanic" to get vehicles running again. Then it's only another step to the "Wizard" with a spell to change the weather.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, sounds like you won't like my idea of the brothel to improve troops morale, so'll just keep it to myself.

I would like the have a disembodied "Hand of God" so that i can cast "Miracles" on the battle field, such as resurrecting KOed tanks or uprooting the forest of an enemy position so that I can expose them to fire.

Also, how about a Jadgtiger "creature" that I can train?

Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schutzstaffel:

feedbacks?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The idea is totally unrealisitic.

Men that are counted as a casualty are wounded to the point that they can no longer participate in the battle. No amount of bandaging or pain killers is going to change that in a 30 minute to 1 hour battle.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phoenix:

The idea is totally unrealisitic.

Men that are counted as a casualty are wounded to the point that they can no longer participate in the battle. No amount of bandaging or pain killers is going to change that in a 30 minute to 1 hour battle.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But a "Cure Serious Wounds" spell would do the trick I think!

Jeff

On a more serious note (because I am having a rotten week and don't see why anyone else should have any fun either), we do need a scout - low cost (8-20 points), maybe slight bonus at sneaking/hiding, carrying only his rifle or a pistol. The scout would also have "low" ammo and would never fire the first shot to reflect the fact that engaging the enemy was simply not his job. He would also be insufficient to control a victory location, though he could deny it to the enemy. This would save having to use sharpshooters for this role.

Thoughts?

MrSpkr

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrSpkr:

On a more serious note ... we do need a scout <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed -- and I think it should be moved to a separate thread so it doesn't get lost in the assault on the medics (business as usual on the eastern front).

Seriously, I almost didn't read all the way down, and would have missed this, and the world would not have had the benefit of my vote... :P

On a more serious note (because I am having a rotten week and don't see why anyone else should have any fun either), we do need a scout - low cost (8-20 points), maybe slight bonus at sneaking/hiding, carrying only his rifle or a pistol. The scout would also have "low" ammo and would never fire the first shot to reflect the fact that engaging the enemy was simply not his job. He would also be insufficient to control a victory location, though he could deny it to the enemy. This would save having to use sharpshooters for this role.

Thoughts?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This whole concept has been debated and argued thoroughly. Some people believe it is within the scope of the CM battle to employ "scouts" whilsts others believe that at the moment of the CM battle you have moved passed the scouting stage.

Since I hate to be bored silly with people who play 40 turn 1500 points battles on medium maps where I spend the first 20 turns, as the defender, hitting "GO" and contemplating surrender because I am bored to tears, I HATE SCOUTS.

Just get in there and attack! I have won numerous battles without EVER scouting. Just plan an attack, then determine what YOU would have done for the best defense and go with it.

Heck, I will even challenge ANY of you here to a battle where I will attack WITHOUT scouting and show how it is done.

Jeff

P.S. Oh.. and BTS doesn't think scouts are within the scope of the CM battle either. That is why they never put one in and never did even after all the debate. FYI.

[ 04-24-2001: Message edited by: jshandorf ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jshandorf:

. . . others believe that at the moment of the CM battle you have moved passed the scouting stage.

P.S. Oh.. and BTS doesn't think scouts are within the scope of the CM battle either. That is why they never put one in and never did even after all the debate. FYI.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps it has been debated . . . I only got the game in February and didn't spend all last fall on the board.

My question is, if the enemy has been scouted already, why the heck does the attacker go in totally blind as to enemy positions - even large, immobile positions such as pillboxes? Attackers aren't given a shred of information in a QB as to where the front line starts - you have to guestimate. Then you have to guess where the bad guys are in that area.

I find that annoying, much as you appear to find games against people who do take some time to set up an attack annoying.

It seems to me that if this is BTS position, an attacker should be given at least some idea as to where the lines are (not the setup zone, but the line.)

MrSpkr

Perhaps it has been debated . . . I only got the game in February and didn't spend all last fall on the board.

My question is, if the enemy has been scouted already, why the heck does the attacker go in totally blind as to enemy positions - even large, immobile positions such as pillboxes? Attackers aren't given a shred of information in a QB as to where the front line starts - you have to guestimate. Then you have to guess where the bad guys are in that area.

I find that annoying, much as you appear to find games against people who do take some time to set up an attack annoying.

It seems to me that if this is BTS position, an attacker should be given at least some idea as to where the lines are (not the setup zone, but the line.)

MrSpkr<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I assume you are mostly reffering to Scenarios? Well, if the scenario designer is worth his salt he will give you that needed information in the briefing.

But wanting to know where the "magical" line is that you opponent has setup at is unrealistic. In QBs you know roughly at what point and beyond to expect resistance, you know exactly what the terrain ahead of you looks like, you CAN and DO spot bunkers, roadblocks, barb-wire, etc... (In my current game I saw of that in the first turn), and all the information is disseminated by ALL your troops.

I would almost argue that from what I have just pointed out you know as much if not more then what you would get from scouting.

Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Windopaene:

And will rubbing my Panther's belly when he knocks out a Sherman make him more likely to do that in the future?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

:D

Love this one!

Oh, and I want some "GODLIKE!" when one of my SdKfz's kills a Jumbo...

Oh, my.

And I thought that games on large maps were boring, especiallly when they are 3o turns long. Half an hour! We don't need half an hour for a battle! 12 minutes is long enough!

No need for scouts... or medics...

I would honestly prefer being able to let units pick up dropped weapons and abandoned guns or vehicles than worrying about scouts and medics. How about using captured equipment as well, that could be interesting, especially if we can salvage stuff from scenario to scenario, during an operation. Not going to happen, though.

I wouldn't be totally against the idea of having them, I just know that I would rarely bother purchasing them.

Unless BTS plans to introduce partisan units like in "the game that shall remain nameless".

I am starting to wonder now what the special units were in Star Fleet Battles -- legendary captain, legendary chief engineer, legendary doctor...

:D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave H:

Seriously, in the time frame a game covers, getting up to 10 casualties back to full combat effectiveness seems a little miraculous.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's only a flesh wound! I'll bite your knees off!