PBEM Help!!! Help!!!!!! Cant do it

Warren sent me an email setup program to my Patton21@hotmail.com account (Cos thats my email) I looked at the email and saw the attached file.txt I clicked "save as" then downloaded it to the PBEM section of CM. I then went to the game and tried to open it. When I find the file and click open, I get the "error" sound in windows. Nothing happens. Can someone walk me through the whole process as if I were an idiot. Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it. And come on guys, grow up, stop teasing me, and act like men. Tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie. If you can explain to me what that means, I will forever think of you as my friend. :confused:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CombatGeneral:

Warren sent me an email setup program to my Patton21@hotmail.com account (Cos thats my email) I looked at the email and saw the attached file.txt I clicked "save as" then downloaded it to the PBEM section of CM. I then went to the game and tried to open it. When I find the file and click open, I get the "error" sound in windows. Nothing happens. Can someone walk me through the whole process as if I were an idiot. Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it. And come on guys, grow up, stop teasing me, and act like men. Tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie. If you can explain to me what that means, I will forever think of you as my friend. :confused: <hr></blockquote>

Just ask Warren to send the CM PBEM files ziped, then all your problems will be gonne...

There are other ways to solve this, but my English is short in order to explain them... or yet, I'm too lazy ;)

Been awhile since I used Hotmail to exchange files but IIRC you have to selectall/copy/paste the attachment to WordPad and save the text file from there. Much easier when they are zipped of course. Hope that helps...

Ron

Right you get the file and click on the attachment and get the download file.

Click on the download file and it opens another window full of text (well it does for me).

Once the text has finished downloading (very important on this one) then click with the mouse in the text (don't change anything) and go to the edit and choose "select all".

The entire text will be highlighted and then go the the file and save as a hotmail attachment (add a number at the end if you like) and save (in the pbem folder within CMBO).

When you load the file in CMBO click on the hotmail attachment and inside you'll see the text file and open it and the pbem will open.

Of course you can do as the others have said (zip or use a non-hotmail account).

Hope that helps and you need to give the e-mail address name to Stryker via e-mail or posting in you new member sign-up at BoB.

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: Cos ]</p>

Hey CombatGeneral,

How about a TCP/IP game? It's faster and much less of a hassle than PBEM (not that PBEM is bad, I use to PBEM back before TCP/IP). How about it? Do you have ICQ or AIM? If you have ICQ, gimme your ICQ#, here is mine: 95571655

I'd like to kick your A$$ and teach a thing or two about how this game is played. You trott around here like you own the place, just remeber I OWN YOU!!! Get ready to get you A$$ handed to you and a plater and I'll make you eat it too!

Rather than tell you specific instructions which would be different depending on your system and configuration, let me tell you the intent.

You need to take that long-ass garbled text which is the turn instructions and turn it into a TEXT or *.txt file. Do it however you want, cut-n-paste, save-as, whatever, but you need to male sure that you don't change it by adding, deleting text, spaces etc. Make sure you don't accidentally copy the email message along with the rest, make sure you don't cut any off at then end.

Make it into a *.txt file and get it into your CMBO/PBEM folder, then you can use it.

Point taken, mine defaults to a hotmail attachment when I save, so duh on me for thinking his would too redface.gif

Really PL has the right idea. You need to get the text file in one piece to where you can open it with the game to play. It took me a few times to get it down the first time I played.

I don't think I can make it any clearer as I've had another beer since I wrote that :confused:

Tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie. If you can explain to me what that means, I will forever think of you as my friend. :confused: <hr></blockquote>

Your PBEM problem is mechanics. Your question above is merely history.

Your answer to the above is honour and duty. From you other posts, I don't quite believe you have any concept of either.

The straight forward answer to your above quote is this: citizen-soldiers of one of the Spartan client states were delegated to hold a pass, and give not one inch in order to buy the Greeks some time. They died to a man. The above quote is supposedly the dying words of one defender, who wished their observance of duty to be known.

Possibly you meant something else

Possibly you meant nothing at all

But here, in answer to your question

we have let our answer fall.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Stuka:

Looks like Seanachie's found a freind. :D <hr></blockquote>

Ahem. Is there some legitimate reason why you cannot spell my name correctly?

I will acknowledge your insults, make light of your abuse, and take as my due your hatred and fear based anger, but I ask that you spell my title correctly.

Ah! You're dead drunk again, aren't you? I understand, now.

When I find the file and click open, I get the "error" sound in windows. Nothing happens. Can someone walk me through the whole process as if I were an idiot. <hr></blockquote>

CombatGeneral, I'm sure you are a very nice person but some people just aren't cut out for PBEMs, or playing Combat Mission at all for that matter. Believe me, we wouldn't be doing you a favor by encouraging you. Just forget about it and you'll be a lot better off.