Combat Mission is #50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE!?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Soddball:

For those who never played Doom, when it first came it, it was truly revolutionary. The graphics were out of this world, the sounds were clear, and it was unbelievable fun. Compare it to the closest "competitor" in a non-existent market, Wolfenstein 3D.

Doom is now 5 years old. It deserves a high rating because of its revolutionary impact on the PC game marketplace (5 years ago, PC's were competing with Amigas and such), an impact that can only now be assessed. Combat Mission won't be any higher at the moment because:

1) It's a niche game.

2) It's only been out a comparatively short length of time.

Unlike you, Fieldmarshall, I'm capable of enjoying games other than Combat Mission. On my desk at the moment are Call to Power 2, Quake 3, The Sims, and Combat Mission - all classics in their own right, and all fun to play. Combat Mission is good, but it isn't the only good game out there.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. Check out my top 20 list in the General Forum.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Soddball:

Doom is now 5 years old. It deserves a high rating because of its revolutionary impact on the PC game marketplace.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doom is much older than that. Quake is 5 years old. But I also consider Doom (one of) the most revolutionary games ever made.

And the fact that CM even made it into the top 50 is a great accomplishment for a game that's still pretty new and not really a mainstream product.

Dschugaschwili

I've noticed a decline in the "hardcore" PC Gamer staff in the last few years. Most of them are now twidget heads playing shoot em ups. Trotters material is getting stale even. In fact, I've just talked myself into canceling my scrip.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Echo:

I've noticed a decline in the "hardcore" PC Gamer staff in the last few years. Most of them are now twidget heads playing shoot em ups. Trotters material is getting stale even. In fact, I've just talked myself into canceling my scrip.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. I didn't renew my subscription because I realized that PCG didn't have the same coverage I used to like. Now, if they have one good article out of many, I'll just read it at my local Barnes and Noble rather then buy the mag.

Do you guys realize how many hours I log playing computer games? I work full time, have two kids and a wife. But, I wake up early and go t obed late. I am a firm believer in "my time."

Anyway, I have A LOT of games and read religiously online about the next way to spend my cash. I literally stumbled across combat mission on one of countless searches for hot new games.

I am a minority. The majority does not have enough time to search and stumble as I do. This fact alone has kept Combat mission awa from the true fame it deserves. They have marketed to a niche and gown by word of mouth.

To be in the top 50 is well deserved but at the same time amazing given the setting in which this game thrives.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pak40:

Panzer General is ranked higher than Combat Mission!!! I consider this much more of an insult than Doom ranking higher.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes but CM doesn't have hexe.

You can't be serious minded if you don't have those.

:D

Quite frankly, being in that list even if not on the top is already an achievement.

CM is not exactly selling of the shelves.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fieldmarshall:

Had the to 50 games of all time....CM was 50 for gods sake!! DOOM that dumb shooter beat combat mission by a landslide...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And well it should. Doom was responsible for a revolution in the PC game industry when it first appeared in 1994. Frankly, I am surprised Combat Mission, Black and White, and a couple of other games even MADE it to the top 50.

I can just see Col. Trotter at the PC Gamer staff meeting after finding out that Combat Mission got left off the top 50 list: One eye buldging towards the ceiling, red-faced, pounding his fists on the table, "You insufferable twits!!! How can you leave the most revolutionary war game ever made off the top 50 list?! I want some ass, and I want it NOW!!!"

The click-festers relent and give him 50th place, beating out 10,000 other games on their "short list."

As others have stated, 50th is not a slap in the face, it is a great accomplishment. Congrats again, BTS.

I'm reminded of a comic short story by the author Henry James (written about 1905). In the story a serious author decides he wants to be 'popular' so he makes a conscious effort to dumb-down his art as much as humanly possible. Still he simply cannot write STUPID enough to gratify the masses!

Some things never change If CM wants to go higher on the all-time list all they need to do is add spurting blood to the graphics and screams of horror to the sounds. Oh yeh, and Tombraider-like cleavage :eek:

How could Doom beat Combat Mission? Well for starters Doom basically revolutionized ALL computer gaming and spawned an entire new market, classification of game and thrust computer gaming itself into the media mainstream and public pysche.

As great as Combat Mission is and continues to be, umm... it ain't DOOM. ;)

We are thrilled to be considered the #50 greatest games of ALL TIME. :D

I won't speculate on what internal politics undoubtably played a role in the placement and order of that list. Hey, we made it, we are happy!

I would still like to see a Texas Steel Cage match between Charles and John Carmack though... :cool:

Madmatt