Combat Mission is #50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE!?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stuka:

The answer is simple, Fieldmouse.

Sell your house and all your family into slavery, rob a bank or two, and buy as many copies of CM as you can.

Voila! Instant #1 on the hit parade for CM!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Feildmouse? Fieldmarshall you git. And I intend to throw off your sarcasm, and get to the point..how could a game like doom beat CM?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzerman:

Simple... more people play Doom... :rolleyes:

Think about this as well...graphicly how dose CM compare to Doom(I have no clue. I don't have doom)?

[ 09-03-2001: Message edited by: Panzerman ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have played tid bits at other peoples houses, its boring, graphics suck, and its uselessly violent(i.e. so violent its stupid)

Becouse Doom's impact on computer gaming is more measurable. Concidering CM has only been out for a year, I think #50 on the all time computer game list is quite a compliment. The raters are taking it on faith that CM will revolutionize the wargaming genere, and is not just a shot in the pan, allbiet a very good one.

Cheers

Eric

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fieldmarshall:

I have played tid bits at other peoples houses, its boring, graphics suck, and its uselessly violent(i.e. so violent its stupid)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well maybe PC Gamer leared that you played CM and moved it from #5 to #50...hehe :D

Har Har... :rolleyes:...maybe they learned from Maximus that you and I are the same person... :rolleyes:..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It sure does sound like it at times.

Just reread both of you'll's statements on this thread alone and don't tell me that your demeanor doesn't come off very similar to each other.

Excuse me guys.

A game not appealing to the general gamer's mind, sold only over the online shop, rarely mentioned in the press. Makes it *into* the top 50? That is an outstanding result.

DOOM was a great game, especially for its early multiplayer, BTW, but I guess some

things are a matter of taste :)

P.S. is the list online somewhere?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

Was the election for the top 50 held in Flordia? :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No in Chicago, the dead got to vote ;) I think it should have rated higher then some of the games there (wish I had the mag in front of me I'd list them).

It was nice to see it on the list, but the pic had no mods in it, how could they do that.

Dont you ever shut your stupid big fat mouth..you have been provoking a fight since the day you were born. So for the first time in your damn life, mind your own business!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let Max have his fun... :D If it bugs you that much...then you need help. tongue.gif

Being the Top 50 of All Time, as you've said. Then it's fair to say they not only judge the game by sales, but ingiunity, longevity, trend-setter. I mean, I remember walking into ANY computer lab in any University, and I'd see a ton of people playing (and watching) watching the game.

Having CM in the top 50 (even only just) is a great kudos. Well done, BTS (and you silly sadistic modders).

It was PC Gamer who turned me on to CMBO.William Trotter "Desktop General" did a column on it about a year ago & his closing line was "Go to Battlefront.Com send them your $45 and get this game".Well...I took his advice & I'm not so sure if I should thank him,or curse him !!!...only kidding.

Good Magazine "PC Gamer"..Great Game "CMBO".

I also was turned on to CM by the article in PCGamer. I also feel that making into the top 50 of all time is quite an accompishment as i am sure there were a multitude of criteria. As great a game we may think CM to be, there is still the fact that it doesnt have the mass appeal of many games out there. (that may be one reason its so great, IMHO)

hey Fieldmarshall, if you feel that strongly about it why dont you publish your own top 50 of all time, i'd be intersted to read it.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BigZergRat:

I also was turned on to CM by the article in PCGamer. I also feel that making into the top 50 of all time is quite an accompishment as i am sure there were a multitude of criteria. As great a game we may think CM to be, there is still the fact that it doesnt have the mass appeal of many games out there. (that may be one reason its so great, IMHO)

hey Fieldmarshall, if you feel that strongly about it why dont you publish your own top 50 of all time, i'd be intersted to read it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok I'll think about it. CM wont be #1..but it will be in the top ten. I will open a thread in the General forum.

Well lets face it, we're sorrounded by stupid people. For every person I know that gets a kick out of sitting down and thinking about how to best deploy his men to defeat the enemy, there are 10 persons who would much prefer clicking many times on the screen and blowing up things in showers of gore while yelling "Eat that, biznatch!"

That's the way of things. Entertainment that most appeals to the dim masses is the entertainment that will always do better then the nitch market.

"Starcrap" appeals to millions of people world wide, Koreans especially, who go so far as to put the game characters on their cereal boxes. CMBO appeals to you, a few thousand middle aged men, and my humble little self.

I suppose its not fair to us that CMBO is so low on the list while games that inspired countless dumb clones of themselves get to be up higher. However, looking at it from the POV of Joe Geekboy, your average gamer, any game that has boobs in it and can give me a hard thanks to buckets of blood and intestines thrown at me every 3 seconds tops my list!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Becouse Doom's impact on computer gaming is more measurable. Concidering CM has only been out for a year, I think #50 on the all time computer game list is quite a compliment. The raters are taking it on faith that CM will revolutionize the wargaming genere, and is not just a shot in the pan, allbiet a very good one.

Cheers

Eric

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said. I must say that even for someone who is as much of a fan of CMBO as I am, the mindless raving when anyone dares to compare any other game( Blaspheemer!! there are no other games!!!) gets really old. Who knows what their criteria was, this isn't a quantitative analysis, it's a freakin list. Considering they have EVERY genre lumped together shows you much "analysis" went into the process. You just don't get more apples and oranges than trying to compare CM and DOOM. I'm glad everone is so very loyal to CM but please can we try to stop sounding like a bunch of rabid, frothing fanatics for once? :rolleyes:

Well the current PC PowerPlay (an Aussie mag) has the top 100 this month (Not sure which one as they are never sold in or near the correct month) and CMBO rates #85. I believe Dues Ex was #1. Still not a bad effort for a game aimed at a fairly small niche of the worlds gamers. (IMHO)

Cpl Carrot

For those who never played Doom, when it first came it, it was truly revolutionary. The graphics were out of this world, the sounds were clear, and it was unbelievable fun. Compare it to the closest "competitor" in a non-existent market, Wolfenstein 3D.

Doom is now 5 years old. It deserves a high rating because of its revolutionary impact on the PC game marketplace (5 years ago, PC's were competing with Amigas and such), an impact that can only now be assessed. Combat Mission won't be any higher at the moment because:

1) It's a niche game.

2) It's only been out a comparatively short length of time.

Unlike you, Fieldmarshall, I'm capable of enjoying games other than Combat Mission. On my desk at the moment are Call to Power 2, Quake 3, The Sims, and Combat Mission - all classics in their own right, and all fun to play. Combat Mission is good, but it isn't the only good game out there.