COMBAT MISSIONS: Thank You!

If there's one thing that the "CMs - Bad News" & Club's "Manx/CM's Pledge" threads underline, it's the fact that the people who make up this forum/community are amongst the most kindest, thoughtful (and generous!) bunch of guy's you are ever likely to meet. I've never met any of you in person, but i still class you as being friends (albeit long distance friends).

So what is going on then? -- CM's WILL BE SHUTTING DOWN. I have given your suggestions of helping out financially a great deal of thought over the past few days. It didn't take long for me to realise that there was no way i could except any money from a community that is founded entirely on providing resources free from any monetary considerations (voluntarily given or otherwise). If i had excepted and everyone who had pledged to give money did so, then yes, i could afford to keep CM's going, but long-term i believe it would have been a mistake to go down this road.

Besides all the offers of cash (if this wasn't already enough!), i have also received a number of offers and suggestions regarding practical ways in which the site could continue to function. All i will say is that one of the offers of help i did receive, and one for which i am very grateful for, should solve my seemingly constant battle with the demons known as "Bandwidth" and "Diskspace".

Discussions are on-going and nothing is set in stone yet, but if everything works out, i believe it will be beneficial to the community WITHOUT anyone having to dip into their pockets!

Thanks again for your support...i won't forget this.

[ 10-23-2001: Message edited by: Manx ]</p>

I'm sorry for being late.

In the OpenSource software community it is a common problem that the person who has time to do a website might not be the same person who can access to high-bandwidth servers.

The solution is to maintain a primary site that is not publically accessable, but only for a few "mirrors", who synchronize the contents on a regular basis. That way the maintainer's machine has only a fraction of the bandwidth needs and the high-bandwidth people don't need to invest more time than to set up the mirror. Users then download from one of the mirrors.

I (co-)maintain such infrastructure for the CMUCL and FreeBSD sites and will be helpful in selecting and setting up the right software. This software does not mean to pull over the full website every day, in fact you don't even need to pull over whole files in many case, just the differences.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Juju:

Aargh, I'm confused!! "CM's WILL BE SHUTTING DOWN" but "Discussions are on-going"??<hr></blockquote>

It seems Manx has adopted the Madmatt method of information dissemination - say one thing and imply another. smile.gif I interpret Manx's announcement to mean that COMBAT MISSIONS as we know it will disappear, but that Manx will be able to continue his work elsewhere and in a way that won't be restricted by bandwith or storage concerns. Maybe he has taken our donations and purchased the bankrupt Exodus? :D I am as confused as the rest of you, but I, perhaps foolishly, take the optimistic view that everything will work out for the best for all concerned.

I think what Manx maent is, he will still recieve Mods, but the way people download them will be different. I read something about using morpheus, it's a software similiar to napster. You can download MP3s and also movies, images and SOFTWARE.

So if we all get morpheus, which I already got, and manx host the mods this way, it's free, unlimmited space (well his HD) and no bandwith issues.

The only problem is looking for the files, but you can search up a certain person. So if Manx signs up under a certain name and tells us what it is, you can keep him in a sort of buddy list thing. That way you know when he is on and DL the mods you need.

Hope that clears it up, and I am not 100% if this is what he will be doing.

pssssst.......

"its a conspiracy, MadMatt and BTS are involved and no one wants to talk about anything!"

(if this is in fact the truth, it is just a Wild guess on my part, to be honest I have not leaked any confidential info, as WAY up here in Canada I clearly, other than several thousands of e-mail contacts, and the WHOLE internet) don't have any way to get anywhere near ANY confidential information..

Soo......... I will just continue to speculate and guess :)

Any other guesses or speculation?

-tom w

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Nowotny:

Thanks for everything Manx.

I hope the site doesn't die off though.<hr></blockquote>

CM's - At least it went out with a bang (10 mods in its last ever update), but you haven't heard the last from me! I will be back...and this time i really will mean business!

Tip -- Buy another hard-drive for your PC/Mac -- your gonna need it! ;)

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Buckeye:

I look forward to the Return of the King! :D;) <hr></blockquote>

Me Squire!...Nay! I be just a pawn, a humble servant - there to satisfy a modsluts every wish and desire.

...and besides, thy real King -- the one they call "The Bald-One", would have your head rolling around in a basket if he didst hear such blasphemous remarks uttered in his court.

Now be off with you!

Later - snaps out of dream-like state: errr sorry...i've been playing Stronghold for most of the night. smile.gif

To tell you the truth, i'm a little disppointed in it really. The maps are tiny, the screen res only goes to 1024x768, the character path-finding is useless and whenever you start a combat scenario your entire army is all bunched together right at the edge of the map with all the various units mixed up with each other.

Manx,

Happy to hear that everything will be alright and in order. Hear from you soon.

(...clear throat...)

As far as my conspiracy theory goes, I think Manx's site will get combined into CMHQ! (I begin to miss the o'CMBorg) Just speculation, okay? :D

BTW, Manx, please remove the link to my "shameful" site. It should ease a little. smile.gif

Griffin.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

And there's no QBs (that I know of) and no mods and no 14" guns and no JagdTigers and it's just not CM. But it is kind of fun.

Manx, I thought you said your web hosting was paid up until the Spring. Is CM's done already?<hr></blockquote>

"It's just not CM" -- that just about sums it up perfectly.

CM's -- Yes it is paid for until March 2002, but since the site cannot be expanded any further without a major cash injection, it has reached it's limits and is all but finished. :( There will be no-one more sad to see it's demise than me.