MGs in game don't live up to the real deal!!

First off don't get me wrong,Ilove the game.Play it for,let just say to MUCH.

But here is my problem MGs just don't live up to there real counter parts.For starts I had 5 1919's in a support by fire pos. and out come 3 German sqds about 120m away. easy work at short range,but it did not even pin them down.Plus I've had the same problem with the "feared" MG 42s.

From my experience in a gun sqd in the army the mg just is not getting the grace that it should!

Everybody want goto haven,nobody wants dead. screw face Mark for death

[This message has been edited by Dbroe (edited 01-03-2001).]

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, they are probably the worst weapon type in the game IMO. They need to rip bursts off about twice as fast as the currently do. Also they should (be able to) pin squads within a certain radius of their line of fire. At the moment they are a waste of points.

Guest KwazyDog

Guys, you might find some interesting topics on this one if you do a search, I know its been discussed before in depth. smile.gif

Dan

I tend to disagree.

I placed a Vickers 6 man team about a thousand meters from the target, clear line of sight, flat terrain (which was a 150mm infantry gun being towed by a truck) and the gun knocked out both units and inflicted casualties. I hadn't even seen the target, the AI spotted and fired.

I have had similar results with HMG teams on both sides.

I'm having a problem, with coming to terms that a .30 cal just does not have the real-life stopping power, that it should. Everytime I have a stonghold, it's because I have 2 .30 cals where there SHOULD be 1. The reason for the 2 is, so that it can make up for the lost firepower, by overlapping the original trajectory points. So, I think that in a future patch, maybe Machine guns, or at least the .30 Cals and the MG42s should be given more power.

I think the firepower is ok, its the rof that makes them ineffective. Its like they all have 10 round belts that have to be reloaded after each burst. smile.gif

In fact I'd be all for downing the firepower rating and drastically increasing the rof to make them a "small" amount better at hitting their targets, but a "****-load" better at pinning them.

I don't know?.......

I REALLY like the U.S. .50 cal!

If you put 3 or 4 HT's with .50 cals on them together and cover them with 'zooks and three infantry squads, AND they will positively SHREAD anything smaller than an actual TANK that comes their way.

I have no problem with the way that .50 cal MG works and is modeled it is deadly effective!

-tom w

Here's data taken from the 1936 edition of "Upseerin käsikirja" ("Officer's Handbook", the actual printing date is 1940) about MG fire:

B. MG FIRE BARRAGE

These figures suppose that the visible surface area of enemy soldiers is 0.5 m^2 (= standing man) and the advance speed is 3 m/s [= jogging speed].

The necessary fire densities for a 100 m front line expressed in rounds per minute are:

1. Frontal fire:

Range [m] 1000 1500 2000 2500 3000 3500

=========================================

30% losses 600 1000 1700 3200 6000 9500

50% losses 1000 1800 3200 6000 11000 18000

2. Flanking fire

Range [m] 1000 1500 2000 2500 3000

===================================

30% losses 600 1200 2000 4000 7500

50% losses 1250 2300 3900 7500 14000

Note! 50% losses usually mean that the enemy attack is completely stopped.

[i find it strange that flanking fire has higher ammo requirements. Can somebody tell why it is so?]

C. PRACTICAL RATES OF FIRE

The practical rates of fire for a machine gun [the MG in question is for Maxim/09, I don't know whether the values are with Finnish rof-accelerator or not] are:

normal: 200 rounds/min, max ~1/2 hours

higher: 300 rounds/min, max 10-15 min

high: 400 rounds/min, max 5 min

highest: 500 rounds/min, max 1-2 min

[The corresponding Finnish terms are "normaali", "kohotettu", "kiivas", "suurin", so there is no danger of confusion]

These figures can be used to calculate the necessary amount of MGs for achieving the desired results in a given time.

--- end quote ---

The figures are probably based on German WWI experiences on the West Front, but I'm not certain about that.

Using those figures, it would take 12 Maxims, a full MG company, firing with rof of 400 rounds/min at 1000m range to completely stop a WWI-style attack over 500 meters front. Of course, this is not an absolute figure and in practice the firing range was much smaller. Also, MGs with higher rof can put more lead in the air.

Extrapolating from the table (always a dangerous thing to do), it would seem that for 500 m range the figures for frontal fire should be about 350 and 600 rounds for 30% and 50% casualties, respectively. This would mean that about one MG is necessary for each 100 m of the front line, if we add several infantry squad LMGs to the fire density.

I would guess that lowering the range from 500 m doesn't lower the density requirements any more since there's less time to fire and the enemy can suppress the MGs easier.

- Tommi

I have to say that I do not see any real problem with MGs as they are. I tend to use them in pairs firing from positions where they can cover avenues of approach at long range (up to 1000m) if possible. They frequently suppress the advancing enemy enough that I can 1) drop artillery on their heads, and 2) shift forces into better defensive positions to deal with what's left. Their ammo load and long effective range makes them ideal for this sort of work.

Whether or not people see no problem with how MG's are at the moment in the GAME is not the point, the point is how realistically they are modelled. And I have to agree with KiwiJoe, that they are currently lacking.

They do not model:

- fire lanes

- variable rates of fire

- beaten zones

I don't really see how they are different to squads - except for some grazing fire modelling and longer range,they fire about the same number of times per turn and only at single targets.

My problem is with the stopping power of the ma duece. In Bruce Canfield's American Infantry Weapons of WW2 he relates a story about a grunt who fires a .50 cal at a Japanese artillery piece. Not only did he silence the gun but he also PIERCED THE BREECH at over 1000 yards! A couple of games ago I had a .50 cal shooting at a HT at a little over 500 yards, in real life that HT would be shredded in a very short time, but it just buttoned up and kept on trucking! The M2 .50 Cal is one of the most devastating heavy machine guns ever produced, but in CM it just seems to be a longer range M1919!

Does anyone know if the penetration power of the bullets (not just 20mm and larger rounds) are calculated, or is a bullet just a bullet no matter if it was fired from an M2 or an MP41?

------------------

-====-

Hota

The MG 42 has a firing rate of 1200 bullets a minut, if placed in a hiden position a LMG team or HMG team should stop any infantry advance and inflict heavy casulties on the advancing enemy.

In the game my MG's never get more than a couple of kills. And yes I know they might have killed more, but not as much as I would expect.

I have fired the Danish MG62, which is the same as the MG42, only small modifications. And it is a real good MG, terrible rate of fire, Only problem is you need to change the barrel after 250 rounds.

------------------

PanzerLeid

Mit donnernden Motoren,

So schnell wie der Blitz,

Dem Deinde entgegen,

Im Panzer geschützt.

Voraus den Kameraden

Im Kampfe ganz allein,

Steh'n wir allein,

So stossen wir tief

In die feindlichen Reihn.

von Schalburg

Hota, look at the following link:

www.bigtimesoftware.com/images/mgvsht.jpg

You will see that Ma Deuce can rip HTs pretty well, as long as you get a flank shot on them.

The other thing to consider is that it isn't always easy to lay it on a moving target. I've see M2s rip up all sorts of HTs and Armored Cars (and Hetzers). They really can do a number on vehicles.

Ben

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tss:

[i find it strange that flanking fire has higher ammo requirements. Can somebody tell why it is so?]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My guess would be bearing rate. For frontal fire, you don't need to shift your aim point much because the targets are coming straight at you. ("They're coming right for us!!" -- Uncle Jimbo) With flanking fire, the targets are moving across your front so you need to keep shifting your aim, which probably results in more wasted shots.

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

Guest wwb_99

The other thing they do not model is the intimidation factor. One reason SEALs love their M-60 man is that when the enemy hears that tell-tale ripping sound, he keeps his head down, even if it isn't shooting at him. I have heard that MG-42s had similar morale effects.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by L.Tankersley:

My guess would be bearing rate. For frontal fire, you don't need to shift your aim point much because the targets are coming straight at you. ("They're coming right for us!!" -- Uncle Jimbo) With flanking fire, the targets are moving across your front so you need to keep shifting your aim, which probably results in more wasted shots.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm... The average soldier is not as deep front to back as he is wide from shoulder to shoulder??? Or somefink like that...

------------------

To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee...

Hey Ben, that's pretty cool, thanks for the link! What kind of armor does the Sd Kfz's towards the front? I always thought it would be easier to knock out a HT or truck from the front with a .50 cause 1) less lead (vehicle is either moving towards you or away from you or is standing still) plus 50% of your visible target is the engine (which a .50 cal round with GO THROUGH).

At 500 meters the .50 will chew up a truck from any angle and should be able to easily pierce any side of a lightly armed HT. One shot through the grill and it will go through your enigne block!

------------------

-====-

Hota

Sd Kfz 251 (Ausf A,B, and C):

front superstucture: 10mm/33 degrees

front hull: 14.5/21

(Ausf D)

front superstructure: 10/33

front hull: 15/22

Source: Chamberlain and Doyle, Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World War Two

------------------

War is cruel and you cannot refine it. --Sherman

I had a .50 shooting at the ass of a 234/1 at the range of maybe 50m and couldn't get a kill shot. Then finally the thing turned sideways and my .50 finally got the kill shot in the side of the 234/1.

------------------

"Live by the sword, live a good LOOONG life!"-Minsc, BGII

"Boo points, I punch."--Minsc, BGII

Everybody, this topic really has been hashed and rehashed dozens of times, right down to individual points (why aren't MG42s more frightening? why don't MGs fire very quickly?) and the statistics given (real-history MG training stats)

Using the search engine and reading some of these old posts may answer questions you have. You may find things that lead you to new issues. Perhaps somebody stated your POV in a great way. Whatever.

DjB

[This message has been edited by Doug Beman (edited 01-03-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LuckyStrike:

Whether or not people see no problem with how MG's are at the moment in the GAME is not the point, the point is how realistically they are modelled. And I have to agree with KiwiJoe, that they are currently lacking.

They do not model:

- fire lanes

- variable rates of fire

- beaten zones

I don't really see how they are different to squads - except for some grazing fire modelling and longer range,they fire about the same number of times per turn and only at single targets.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Beaten zones are modeled for Section and HMG fire, do a search or look at the game.

------------------

From the jshandorf

"Why don't we compare reality to the game like Bastables likes to do all the time?"

Mr T's reply

"Don't touch me FOO!"

(BilgeRat) synopsis= "Im a dickhead"

Beaton

"Smoking makes you look cool.

Shoot cute dogs.

Violence does not hafta make sense."