Announcement: CMBO Invitational PBEM Tourney of "Stars"!!

Well, not to gloat, but since I actually chalked up a victory, I can't help but blab.

I managed to score an Allied Major victory against Berli in a hard fought battle. I think my complete lack of a head for tactics throws my PBEM opponents for a loop, quite frankly. I never seem to do what they expect.

Guess that's a hint to my future opponents not to take for granted that I have any common sense whatsoever.

I hope to allow Berli to restore his honour by a rematch sometime after the middle of August - but the thought of venturing into the Peng thread to do so has me uneasy to say the least. Whatever happened to Slapdragon's answer to Pengdom, anyway?

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just stumbled on this post. For those that are serious in getting the wine + goodies in this Invitational ( :D), study CM's point scoring method below to extract the max. points from your enemy.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Cp = total points of player casualties (units captured count double their casualty value)

Ce = total points of enemy casualties (units captured count double their casualty value)

F = total value of flags

Fp = point value of flags controlled by player

Fe = point value of flags controlled by enemy

A = player score

E = enemy score

Units are worth BPV except spotters which are 30

( Ce + Fp )

--------------- = A

( Cp + Ce + F )

or Player score =

(Enemy casualties + Player flags)

--------------------------------------------

(Player casualties + Enemy casualties + Total flags)

Exit scenarios:

- exited like it should: player gets (cost * 2.7) points

- not exited like it should: opponent gets (cost * 2.7) points

- killed: opponent gets (cost * (2.7 + 1.0)) points

- captured: opponent gets (cost * (2.7 + 2.0)) points

For flamethrower teams and trucks insert 2.3 instead of 2.7.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It might mean the difference between drinking some good wine.. or just water! ;)

Kind regards,

Charl Theron

CapitalistDog is correct. We do not have a battle so much as a more contemporary version of the andabatae, low grade gladiators who were forced to fight while wearing helmets without eyeholes. Where our situation differs is that the andabatae were warm ups for the real gladiators, and the crowd used to delight in misdirecting the hapless participants. CapitalistDog and I are fully self actualized. We do our own blundering. He has managed to determine he's facing the British, so progress is being made.

On a more serious note, I think we're both surprised there's been no encounter so far. I expect that ere long the evening calm, unmarred by so much as a sound contact, will be shattered, preferably at considerable expense to CapitalistDog's men.

Night navigation would be greatly simplified by the positioning of burning beacons upon which to orient. I therefore modestly propose that CapitalistDog set fire to his armor (something about King Tigers) that I might engage him more expeditiously. Yet another good reason for BTS to retroactively introduce

an "abandon" command!

Will report when contact is made.

For King and Country!

John Kettler, OIC

It's true. Michael Dorosh slapped down Berlichtingen 76-24! Berli was the Germans and the game was played on Map P. Congratulations Michael Dorosh!!

Updated standings below:

1) Michael Dorosh....131 (3)...average 43.67

2) SuperTed..........85 (1)....average 85.00

3) Moon..............60 (1)....average 60.00

4) Berlichtingen.....24 (1)....average 24.00

Correction - Fionn and I finished our match today as well.

I have completed four games, average is 37.5, total points 150.

I have discussed with Treeburst doing a webpage for the tourney.

My prelim work is at http://wargames.freehosting.net/invite.htm

I am going on a month of Army duty on the 18th and will not be able to update this, so I don't know if its worth continuing or not. It being summer, perhaps not that many games will be completed in that time? Anyway, if there is interest in it, I will continue it up until the 18th, and again in August.

Thanks to Treeburst for his support.

OK guys, Michael Dorosh will have the stats for you. I will simply announce final scores and keep Michael up to date. While he's gone this summer I'll post stats here.

Thank you, Michael, for setting up the page for us.

As mentioned above, Fionn Kelly has put a hurtin' on Michael Dorosh 81-19! Congratulations Fionn!! Fionn was the Germans and the game was played on map C.

Stats at:

http://wargames.freehosting.net/invite.htm

[ 07-06-2001: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

From a BBC broadcast.

"His Majesty's Forces in France, determined to drive Jerry hence with all possible despatch, are reported to have begun a night attack at an undisclosed location. Progress so far is said to be excellent, and contact has been gained with Jerry outposts, with which fire has been exchanged. No word on casualties."

Putting the above through a sophisticated decryption algorithm we get:

While blundering around in the dark, British and German troops encountered each other. Shots were fired. More will follow. Many more.

CapitalistDog and I are hoping to get a bunch of turns in this weekend, domestic arrangements on his end permitting.

Kingfish not only kicked my butt but countersank it for good measure in that Toulon

fray I mentioned earlier. Be glad you don't have to fight him. Not only is he a great tactician, but he's lucky too. Nasty combo!

Regards,

John Kettler

[ 07-07-2001: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

Fionn just E-mailed me and proposes a battle under "Infantry Rules." His pitch is that this is the most straightforward test of skill, since no vehicles are permitted.

I have followed Fionn' gaming record long enough to know that he has a fearsome reputation earned through both superb tactics and astute force selections. Therefore, I'm more than a trifle suspicious of the proposal. Logically, I have to figure he's offering a battle he's long since analyzed and played to a gnat's rear. Of course, he's still going to have to deal with the vagaries of the board we get.

I'd like to ask my fellow participants and anyone with PBEM experience against Fionn your thoughts concerning his proposal, good counterproposals and any other pertinent matters I may have overlooked.

Right now, I'm strongly leaning toward proposing a blind battlefield choice, with troops bought before the field is seen. I feel this will go quite a way toward leveling the field by forcing him to field a more balanced, less terrain optimized force.

I'd appreciate a fast response on this, since I'd like to be able to set the battle up NLT tomorrow.

Regards,

John Kettler

Treeburst155,

Looks like I intuited the key point. What are rational limits on TRPs? Two?

I'm way over my head on troop types. So many for the Germans to choose from! Do I need to limit certain types? I've read the SMG balancing proposal in depth and am a bit concerned there, especially since the Germans apparently also have a grenade throwing range advantage. Have fought SMG squads and FJ squads in computer chose the force QBs. It wasn't pretty. Standard German infantry's bad enough, but the squads with two MGs are brutal vs. American or British line infantry. Good thing we had lots of artillery during the war!

Could I make side a random outcome handled on your end by a binary decision aid (coin toss)?

Thanks for any and all help.

Sincerely,

John Kettler

I'd be happy to flip a coin for sides if that's what you two agree to. As far as the SMG question is concerned you'll need to talk that over with Fionn. Personally, I'd want either limits on Volksgrenadier SMG and Fusilier SMG or I'd want the German side. :D

I've never thought about discussing a limit to TRPs when negotiating a game. It's always been a question of whether they are allowed or not.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Kettler:

Fionn just E-mailed me and proposes a battle under "Infantry Rules." His pitch is that this is the most straightforward test of skill, since no vehicles are permitted.

I have followed Fionn' gaming record long enough to know that he has a fearsome reputation earned through both superb tactics and astute force selections. Therefore, I'm more than a trifle suspicious of the proposal. Logically, I have to figure he's offering a battle he's long since analyzed and played to a gnat's rear. Of course, he's still going to have to deal with the vagaries of the board we get.

I'd like to ask my fellow participants and anyone with PBEM experience against Fionn your thoughts concerning his proposal, good counterproposals and any other pertinent matters I may have overlooked.

Right now, I'm strongly leaning toward proposing a blind battlefield choice, with troops bought before the field is seen. I feel this will go quite a way toward leveling the field by forcing him to field a more balanced, less terrain optimized force.

I'd appreciate a fast response on this, since I'd like to be able to set the battle up NLT tomorrow.

Regards,

John Kettler<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fionn's only fearsome tactic is the lengthy negotiations before any game he plays, and the use of bluff and brag during the game itself. Ignore anything he tries to say by way of chit chat, as it will inevitably lead to "I'm going to be a doctor you know" (which obviously makes him a better cM player than you) and "you should surrender this turn, because I'm obviously going to win." You will start to hear this by turn 3.

I don't think there is any reason to be suspicious of him wanting infantry only; we both agreed to do that in our game. I prefer infantry only also, as it avoids "gamey purchases" or most of them, anyway, and I mostly did it to avoid the lengthy negotiations on 75s/76s, etc etc. which I have heard to be excrutiating from other players, both in the tourney and out.

Don't let the mystique get to you; buy your infantry, don't let him mess with your head, and above all - have fun. It's only a game. Don't set out to "beat the great Fionn Kelly" and your chances will be much better. Whatever happens, you will know you played against a skilled opponent. You may as well enjoy yourself in the process; that's what it's all about.

From a BBC broadcast:

"Fighting in and about the town of CENSORED has now become general, with notably savage combat between Jerry troops attempting to seize a knoll overlooking the town and our lads already in possession of the eminence. HQ

reports British casualties in flank elements. British artillery is raining on the town and approaches.

This has been the BBC."

As for my fight with Fionn, we're playing modified infantry rules. No FOs with weapons larger than 120mm, no armor, no vehicles. One troop type only. SMG squads are out. Map is Q.

Looks something like an earthen ziggurat. Daylight engagement.

Regards,

John Kettler

Geez - here it is the second week of July and I have not started any games yet.

Well, I should have some slots open this week, so let's get a couple going. Email me if you have yet to start your first game either and we will do battle.

MrSpkr

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrSpkr:

Geez - here it is the second week of July and I have not started any games yet.

Well, I should have some slots open this week, so let's get a couple going. Email me if you have yet to start your first game either and we will do battle.

MrSpkr<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MrSqkr, You claim to be a Knight of the Mutha Beautiful Thread? Sound off like ya got a pair!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

MrSqkr, You claim to be a Knight of the Mutha Beautiful Thread? Sound off like ya got a pair!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Moment of weakness, your Darkness.

[Ahem]

My LORD! I have never SEEN such a motley collection of utterly USELESS GITS IN MY LIFE! I've seen more aggression out of Richard Simmons than the whole LOT of you PUT TOGETHER! Whining about TRPS and FREON and such! YOU ALL MAKE ME SICK!

Now, WHO thinks they are CLOSE ENOUGH to having the INTESTINAL FORTITUDE to face my vaunted überlegions?

Sit down shandorf, I'm already bleeding your forces out in our other PBEM (and I notice you haven't returned a turn since I WAXED an entire platoon of your infantry at the cost of one toothless old geezer).

Well? WHO WILL IT BE?

[ahem]

Better, oh Evil One?

Twas the dead of night and not a sound could be heard, when along came John Kettler with his Brits, singing like a bird.

The Tommies set camp because it was late, without scouting the area thus sealing their fate.

The Para's fired first and shattered the once peaceful night, it was not very long before the Brits were in full flight.

But Commander Kettler would not give up the fight, he ordered arty and mortars to give Jerry a fright.

And so it began the battle of wits, men shouting and screaming and running in fits.

This could be won or lost on the flip of a dime because both of us wish to get drunk on the wine.

You will have to stay tuned to discover the winner, but now i must go - its time for my dinner.

:D:D

CDIC

Sound off like you have a pair?

Hmmm...I've got a whole bouquet of undersized hairy knignets from Bearlick's infantry hanging from my rearview mirror. Would they suffice? If you've noticed, BrrrLich is typing in much a higher timbre lately due to his untimely pruning. So far I've taken a single casualty while putting down at least a company of PzG, a PzV and 6 251/1.

Nuts are a much more reliable trophy when "counting coup", much more than the standard ear, nose, or scalp on a keyring. Unfortunately the wife hates the bloody things dangling around and collecting flies. Now I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the rest of the load I'll be collecting during the Tourney.

Cheers

Murray

[ 07-09-2001: Message edited by: Claymore ]

Troops,

Fionn and I hammered out a fair arrangement which limits troop category to one, bans SMG squads, allows TRPs, and which gave me choice of side after seeing the map. The game is being fought under modified infantry rules. We're allowing FOs up to and including 120mm. No vehicles of any sort.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ 07-09-2001: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Adam Lloyd:

Just a little anouncement (or reminder) I'll be away watching stuff explode until Sunday.

(Ft Knox) :D

Later.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lucky boasting bastiche.

I hope it rains on you.