Announcement: CMBO Invitational PBEM Tourney of "Stars"!!

Treeburst155 and troops,

I'm delighted to report that Capitalist (Running)Dog(in China)--must keep our dialectical expressions pure, after all--is presently fighting on a minimum of two fronts. He's apparently pounding Michael Dorosh while searching for a way to win our large scale knife fight in the dark.

Night battles are always interesting (would be more so with flares, searchlights and the moon), but the visuals are positively sleep inducing.

Meanwhile, in some sort of Toulon 10-battle series Kingfish found, after giving him lots of French regular infantry, halftracks and the odd Stuart to butcher, I finally managed to knock out his primary antitank weapons, force the surrender of a veteran HMG team (one man), destroy his Company HQ, and force what looked to be a depleted platoon out of the murderous

positions among the trees and back into town. His force seems to be largely veteran and is a nightmare to close assault, a necessity given

all the cover.

Must see who sent me a turn!

John Kettler

Edited to correct listing Berli where Michael Dorosh now appears.

[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Treeburst155:

The first completed game of the tourney has been reported. Moonedged by Michael Dorosh with a score of 60-40. Moon was the Americans. Congratulations Moon!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm kind of surprised that I did as well as I did, what with all that HE coming in on my head. I understand Moon is the person to beat in this competition - good luck to the other 18 (?) victims!

CDIC and I are making progress on a truly ugly city fight. Fire seems to be a theme, despite the rain - Moon and I managed to set a damp forest on fire, and CDIC has used his Wasps to set fire to half our board...I have no idea why I kept insisting on "no rules"...I look forward to playing Fionn and his new .38 Revolver Rules - 40 Platoon Headquarters with Low Ammo.

Treeburst, we may have to bend the "no deletions" rule on that one to get the force mix right....

These maps are wicked, Dorosh is showing me how to use infantry to good effect, whilst i show him how to BBQ rifle squads. "Well Done" was how he likes em smile.gif The Town is ablaze but its exciting as hell....and just as hot ;)

Kettler and i will cross swords in the dead of night, i expect another ugly clash of fistycuffs up close and personal.

Superted.....Feng Shui is not on your side smile.gif Give up now ;)

Fionn.....he who is patient shall be rewarded, i will get round to you soon - but why don't you play without rules.....A mans game i say, for those who want realism remember that commanders in real war did not agree terms BEFORE the battle...i shall only eccept terms AFTER ....your terms of surrender that is :D (That should stir him up a bit fellas).

Congrats to Moon, looks like you have first blood....i need to consult my book of confucious.........back later.

CDIC

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Captitalistdoginchina:

...whilst i show him how to BBQ rifle squads. "Well Done" was how he likes em smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm noticing the same thing about him. By the time this finishes, he'll have a healthy respect for fire smile.gif

Healthy hatred, more like. I guess I will have to teach myself to be gamey and buy umpteen flammenwerfers in the remainder of the tourney.

I think Fionn's .38 calibre revolver rules specfically forbid fire of any kind, actually...

ADDENDUM - then again, when you can take out 4 AFVs in a single turn, CM does have its rewards....

So Treeburst, will there be prizes for best death, worst defeat, etc???

I think I will get worst defeat in my battle with Superted - he annihilated me! But surely KOing 4 AFVs in a turn has to be worth something, eh???

[ 07-02-2001: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

[ 07-02-2001: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Healthy hatred, more like. I guess I will have to teach myself to be gamey and buy umpteen flammenwerfers in the remainder of the tourney.

I think Fionn's .38 calibre revolver rules specfically forbid fire of any kind, actually...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But, but, but, everyone knows flamethrowers are useless! I've seen whole threads claiming that!

Besides... If you're gonna dance with the Devil, you're bound to get burned smile.gif

[ 07-02-2001: Message edited by: Berlichtingen ]

The following games are now underway:

Berlichtingen v Dorosh, Berlichtingen v Moon, CapitalistDog v Kettler, CapitalistDog v SuperTed, Dorosh v CapitalistDog, Fionn v Dorosh, MickOZ v Shandorf, SuperTed v Berlichtingen.

Feel free to post AARs if you are so inclined. We are all interested and it will keep the thread bumped.

The following games have been arranged but need purchases from one player. If your name is in caps it is you I need a purchase from.

Fionn v MICK, Fionn v GALANTI, Berlichtingen v SHANDORF, Moon v CLAYMORE, Berlichtingen v CLAYMORE

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Treeburst155:

The following games are now underway:

Berlichtingen v Dorosh, Berlichtingen v Moon, CapitalistDog v Kettler, CapitalistDog v SuperTed, Dorosh v CapitalistDog, Fionn v Dorosh, MickOZ v Shandorf, SuperTed v Berlichtingen.

Feel free to post AARs if you are so inclined. We are all interested and it will keep the thread bumped.

The following games have been arranged but need purchases from one player. If your name is in caps it is you I need a purchase from.

Fionn v MICK, Fionn v GALANTI, Berlichtingen v SHANDORF, Moon v CLAYMORE, Berlichtingen v CLAYMORE<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know! I know! CM is like some fricken monkey on my back when I come home every night from work or school. Tonight I am sure it will suck about 3 hours of life from my worthless husk of a body getting all my turns out and setting up my battles.

Yar! (<- Meekism)

Jeff

[ 07-02-2001: Message edited by: jshandorf ]

Ya ya ya...what are you anyway my wife? Nag nag nag. ;)

Mortgage payments be damned you say?

Know you then that the small smile I wear as the bailiff drags me to the poor house shall be from that satisfaction I receive from defeating my opponents.

Actually...all my proposal paperwork is done and in the hands of the bureaucrats. My family and I shall have bread enough for another year and now I can get back to CM!

Cheers

Murray

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jshandorf:

I know! I know! CM is like some fricken monkey on my back when I come home every night from work or school. Tonight I am sure it will suck about 3 hours of life from my worthless husk of a body getting all my turns out and setting up my battles.

Yar! (<- Meekism)

Jeff

[ 07-02-2001: Message edited by: jshandorf ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, you could just surrender now... that would give you more time for your boring and meaningless life

My gods and goddesses, this is shaping up to be a very interesting tourney. While I know that no one wants to surrender specific, game-sensitive info, We of the Peng Challenge Thread are all about vituperation, the acknowldegement of Honourable-But-Vile Game Opponents, and game updates.

Now, we have Three Participants in the Tourney. (How in Berli's Name Mr Spkr ever cadged an invite is beyond even the Old Ones of the Peng Challenge Thread, and not much is beyond us, unless Peng is dead drunk (a commmon occurence, so I guess no surprises there), and Berli is distracted (again, he's always involved in something like 30+ PBEMs), and I'm involved in a bit of a singsong, or trying to round-up out of bounds Peng Challenge Threaders, so I suppose that there are times when things escape us, after all...)

So, and, in the traditional 'We are the Peng Challenge Thread, and We Have Our Own Ways' sort of thing, what are the ground rules (for the groundlings, as it were) of participation here? I'm sure that the other lads would like to chime in with lusty huzzahs of Our Champions (the worthless bastards), and quaint but polite dismissals (this can be enforced, I'm almost sure), of Everyone Else (which we rather specialize in, don't you know)?

I ask, specifically, because many of us, whatever their standing with us, will eventually show up here. I would like to aid the very fine rabble-rousers...er, instigators...that is, ah, yes, 'Sponsors' of this fine event in their 'policing' effort.

Will we see reportage here of battles lost and won, curses flung and fielded, witty repartee exchanged with plume-laden cap swept before a bended-knee? Abuse of the most high, disgustinging, and vicious nature exchanged?

Or are we going to see: 'Damn, xxx has won, don't know how I missed that spare SS Motorized Battalion, Doh!' sort of thing?

Because, seeing as how we have this whole Thread of Threads available for the acknowledgement of opponents, battles, and abuse, and such, it would seem a shame to waste the opportunity. So if any of Winecape's Invitational participants wished to show up, talk about their games (that is, boast, posture, and carry-on like they were buying the next round), then we could guarantee them a stage worthy of their desire.

And an open invite. For any of the 'Invitation of Stars' Tourney, they've got a place to post, posture, and carry on like drunken sailors. No one will require the standard 'Peng Challenge Thread' rules and 'trial by ordeal'.

Any participant here who cares to show up and carry on like a Knight of the Cesspool, is welcome to do so. A contribution of status, as it were. In a very low club. No wine, Scotch, money, or other acknowldegment than this: All participants, through the duration of the tournament, are acknowledged as Members of the Peng Challenge Thread. If the winner is not currently a member of the Thread, then upon his victory, he has the right to status as a Seniour Knight.

Now here, at last, is an achievement as vile as defeat.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Seanachai:

A whole bunch of stuff that no one needs to have repeated here.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seanachai, you worthless git, have you been at the bottle again? What in... err... that other guy's name made you post that tripe here? Oh yes, why don't we invite a bunch of Outer Boardies to be temporary Knights of the Mutha Beautiful Thread? Sounds like a bloody wonderful idea there Sean. With ideas like that, you may be qualified to be elected president of the US of A (under the current standards).

Here is an update on the matchups currently underway:

Berli/Claymore, Berli/Dorosh, Berli/Moon, CapDog/Kettler, CapDog/SuperTed, CapDog/Dorosh, Fionn/Berli, Fionn/Dorosh, Fionn/Galanti, Fionn/SuperTed, Hardenberger/MickOZ, MickOZ/Fionn, MickOZ/Shandorf, Moon/Claymore, Shandorf/Berli (blind game), SuperTed/Berli.

There are several more in the purchase phase.

Thanks guys for getting an early start.

Gentlemen (and Shandorf and MrSqkr),

Seanachai (unbolded on purpose) invited you to the Mutha Beautiful Thread... to which I will say that you will be wecome to enter. However, the rules still stand (1st post), and should you win this tourney, it will gain you absolutely nothing there. One rule will be waived... that of Knights accepting battles with SSNs... as long as the knights in question are involved in Tourney games.

There you have it, gentlemen; an invitation to bathe in the Cesspool from their Senior Ambassador himself if you are so inclined. Enter at your own risk. It's best to wade into The Pool when you've had a very bad day IMO. Make sure you bring along a thick skin too.

Bullets and worse are now flying in two of my

three games:

Bil: A clear night,broken woods and a long ridge. And we've just had first contact as some of Bil's skulking Jerry scouts receive a 'glad you could make it' from my GI's in some woods. That Axis patrol won't be returning to Berlin. Radio silence now imposed.

Fionn: My US opponent says the game is over. It's about turn six. Ok, so he's got every VL on the winter map covered. Just scouting fodder I'm sure. The Luftwaffe was supposed to be here but my men seem unaccountably cynical. I've managed to graze Fionn's putrescent rabble here and there.. and any rabble in one particular building may soon find itself rabble in rubble.

JShandorf: Well, this game is developing slowly. A high feature in the centre of the map is the dominant aspect of the terrain. My Germans are confident but then they've been ordered to be confident. And we all know about orders.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mick_Oz:

Fionn: My US opponent says the game is over. It's about turn six. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You must be doing well, he tried to feed me that line on turn three!!!!!

:D

(I actually held out until about turn five, but that didn't mean he had to get cocky about it....)

I reckon it's just the Fionn counterpart of Axis Sally. My troops are in fine shape.. except for one unfortunate mortar team. Morale is holding firm. Bayonets sharpened.

Boots warm. And two platoons of Tigers just down the road... hang on, I'll just go check to make sure those tanks are German.... Dietrich?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

And Capitalist Dog is already handing me my ass. If I grin and bear it, do I get the sportsmanship award???????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gee i must have big hands :D

You may indeed get the sportsmanship award since you conveniently kept your men in highly flammable buildings - hence providing sport for my Wasps :D

I reckon my Athlon 900 and 64MB Ge-Force needs upgrading to cope with the display of 30 consecutive fires raging in the town :rolleyes: The rain has done little to dampen the flame nozzles.

Superted has won the race to the flags, my footsloggers have been caught on the run, the Yankees are on my side of the river already :eek: Worst part is that i lost an arty spotter on Turn 2 ! Is that a record or somefink?

JKettler....where are you (Said with hands outstretched and feeling in the dark) its the dead of night, my poor King Tigers cannot see past their muzzles tongue.gif

Some very entertaining battles underway so far.

CDIC