ANOTHER mindless poll: How much has your CMing cost you?

This will be fun.

I got my CM roughly six months ago. Times an average of 2 hours per day of playing since then equals about 360 hours. Divided by $53 comes to less than 15 cents per hour.

Not bad for high quality entertainment these days, eh? But I bet some of you can do a lot lower than that...unless of course you factor in the cost of the lost human relationships... eek.gif

Two copies of CM, nine months (one of the original cry babies when CM first released), and hundreds of dollars saved from purchase of the usual crap. Missed romances and loss of family communication. What year is this?

All in all, I've gained big time. I've never had a purchase such as CM where I know I still have countless hours to play, still receive the thrill I got from day one, and still get surprised by in game events.

This one is a jewel, and its not tarnished after the passage of time. Simply amazing.

Thanks go to the mods. The mod authors are CM heroes and I still can't believe the game I'm playing is the one I received nine months ago. BTS strategy on the open graphics is brilliant. This game will live for a very long time.

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

One new Dell 933Mhz PIII: $2,700

Ahhh, should have went AMD, the cost would have been a fraction of that.

An Abit MoBo, a 1.2GHz AMD Thunderbird combo costs just slightly under ~$380 now. Then add 256MB of DDR RAM for ~$100. 300 Watt Power Supply for $20. 64MB Geforce 2 MX for $140.

Kick-ass system for a little over $600.

------------------

"Upon my signal, unleash Hell."--General Maximus, Gladiator

"Aim small, miss small."--Mel Gibson, The Patriot

"I do what I likes, and I likes what I do."--Darrell Hammond (portraying Bill Clinton), SNL

Max, my computer came built, with 19" monitor, DVD, CDR-W, 75GB HD, 64MB GeForce 2, 128MB 133 RAM, sat/sub speaker system, 3-Com network card, 3 year warranty, and lifetime tech support. And that was back in August. I am happy with it. But this thread is not about what the best computer system or component is. I was just pointing out that I got a new computer to play CM.

- Buying CM: $55

- Buying new computer (half a year ahead of schedule): $2700

- Increased Internet connection time to download mods and transfer PBEM files: Roughly $50 extra over the last couple of months.

- Downloading SPWAW, as a result of a post on this board: Almost $20

Total: $2825 (estimated figure)

Cheers

Olle

Guest Martin Cracauer

Rather cheap for me. My machines are scaled for Unix systems to rebuilt themself and they already had 3D equipment for more demanding games.

The time I spend in CM is well-invested, IMHO, I return a greater value in brain development than by reading high-class books.

The only thing that hits is that I have to keep Windows systems alife just for Combat Mission and some minimal TOAW.

Does CM run on MacOS 10 previews with 3D? That would immediately cause a radical investment for CM :)

Martin

[This message has been edited by Martin Cracauer (edited 03-08-2001).]

A mere four hours sleep last night before getting to work this morning.

Ever known of the phrase "I'll just do this turn then I'll finish"? I've had that with some games but not with one as absorbing or long lasting as this beastie.

89 D Marks, burned out a CD Drive due to constant playing 280 DM, hours on end playing average 6 hours a day works out to 24% of my year playing the game, hours arguing with a woman that is in the house (i think its my wife). But all in all I have almost forgoten what its like to go out heh.. but more fun then you can shake your inner croda at!

works out to be about 0.17 Pf per hour, may increase if this woman who is bugging me calls a lawyer.

-----------

www.derkessel.com Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

CM cost me $45 for the game, 800 pounds for a new computer, 100+ pounds to build a WW2 library from scratch (never interested in WW2 gaming before this) and unknown for Internet time. This may seem expensive at first glance, but when you think of all the money I've saved on food, drink and entrance fees to other, non-CM forms of entertainment it works out about even.

Max, my computer came built, with 19" monitor, DVD, CDR-W, 75GB HD, 64MB GeForce 2, 128MB 133 RAM, sat/sub speaker system, 3-Com network card, 3 year warranty, and lifetime tech support.

Ah, but you didn't get the satisfaction of building your own to your specs smile.gif Still sounds like a great system, though.

CM has cost me almost nothing when you look at the hours of playing/talking about/writing and reading about per dollars spent. A darn good bargain!

------------------

I pity the fool, thug, or soul who tries to take over the world, then goes cryin' home to his momma. --Mr. T

Guest Rex_Bellator

Aside from burning out my crappy old Voodoo 3 after installing Maguas irresistable building mods (true!) I like to think of the amount of money I'll save. For example I took the awful AOS2 back to shop last week & will continue to take every other sub-standard product back I ever get, simply because I could be playing this great game instead smile.gif With CMBO and it's support BTS have raised the standard for good, other companies please take note

------------------

In blossom today

then scattered,

life is so like a delicate flower,

how can one expect the fragrance

to last forever

Vice Admiral Takijiro Ohnishi - Commander Kamikaze Special Attack Force

Combat Mission - £35.00

6 12" WWII Action figure purchases inspired by CM - £150.00

Over 20 WWII biographys and historical accounts - £150+

Voodoo 5 5500 Video Card - £179.00

128mb Memory - £70.00

Total: nearly £600.00 plus loss of sleep..

Gains:

A very severe addiction

Some great new friends

A new homepage for IE5

A better understanding of WWII

about 10lbs in weight from not moving outta my computer chair

Lets see...

$45 for the game.

At least 2 hours of lost productivity at work a day since September, searching for mods, reading boards, and reading news.

Flowers, gifts and other items to bribe wife and keep her happy. Toys and bribes for child.

Lost sleep, lost social activity, & lost pbem games. The latter causing grief and agony, which required liquid counseling and self-esteem re-building.

But in the end, CMBO is more than a bargain considering I have not purchased another game nor any other leisure item for that matter, since I no longer go out.

The only problem is the money I save my wife spends, but I guess as long as it allows me to play CMBO without to much grief, its worth every penny.

smile.gif

------------------

Ours is not to reason why, ours is to do or die!!!

Originally posted by mensch:

(i think its my wife). works out to be about 0.17 Pf per hour, may increase if this woman who is bugging me calls a lawyer.

The Vulture quietly appears on the horizon, flying slowly in circles and eyeing its prey carefully, all the while lusting to dine upon the soft white underbelly of the deadman (formerly known as mensch)...

"Mrs. Mensch, I think you can do a whole lot better than that in your settlement." sez the evil beast. hehehehe.....

------------------

You're never alone with a schizophrenic.

Guest Lord General MB

Soldiers,

CM cost me about 80 $ Canadain.

------------------

Salute!

Lord General Mr. Bill

Supreme Commander

1st Army

Ok, so buck is to dollar as quid is to pound. I am so ready for the SATs!!! (for you non-Americans, the SAT test is the Scholastic Aptitude Test which students take when they are graduating high school and is used by college admissions offices as a measuring stick to determine whether you are an idiot or not.)

Edited to hide the evidence of my ignorance.

[This message has been edited by Pvt. Ryan (edited 03-08-2001).]