HOLY COW! New CM2 Preview at Gamespot

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was talking about the vehicle Dan was referring to in the banner on the GameSpot article. I looked at a site with pictures of most Soviet tanks, and I couldn't match it up with any of them.

Soviet Union Factbook

That's also where I got the photo. (I edited my previous post, so that's where gunnergoz got the quote before I edited it.)

[ 06-15-2001: Message edited by: Pvt. Ryan ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Not everyone is an iggerant 'Merican, though....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't mean to offend anyone, but I think there are fewer people (playing CM) that are familiar with the cyrillic alphabet than there are familiar with the (whatever the heck we call it) alphabet. What is the English alphabet called anyways? Latin? Times New Roman? Man I am really making myself look stupid here.

[ 06-15-2001: Message edited by: Pvt. Ryan ]

The alphabet we use is known as the Latin alphabet. It evolved from Greek and Phoenician alphabets. Not that it is important. What is important is that CM2 looks like it is moving along nicely and I am looking forward to it!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

I didn't mean to offend anyone, but I think there are fewer people (playing CM) that are familiar with the cyrillic alphabet than there are familiar with the (whatever the heck we call it) alphabet. What is the English alphabet called anyways? Latin? Times New Roman? Man I am really making myself look stupid here.

[ 06-15-2001: Message edited by: Pvt. Ryan ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And you did it all by yourself!

:D

I think it's called the Latin alphabet. OK, if I'm wrong, I may be showing off my deteriorating memory as well...at least you have company in the dummybox, Pvt. Ryan!

And I agree, not many people are familiar with Cyrillic...but our hardy group of CM grogs will immediately bone up on this subject as soon as CM2BTB rears it's lovely head, and soon we'll be surrounded by Cyrillic experts in no time. I love it!

Soviet vehicles did share the same official paint scheme, true. This didn't stop the tankers from personalizing the tank somewhat, by writing their names and various slogans on the tank.

In some old Russian movie I saw about a tank crew in WW2, they had a dog with them (a dobermine, perhaps?). Anyway, they dipped their hands (and the dog's paw) in white paint and pressed it against the turret side, writing their names under it. The dog was named Laika, I believe, a popular Russian dog name.

Anyway, just some ideas for modders here. It sucks the textures repeat themselves, of course. Still, those hand/paw prints I mentioned shouldn't look too messed up. Maybe I'll even give it a hand myself smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Frenchy:

For those that don't know what a corduroy road is look here:

1.JPG <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PERFECT!!

Great picture of a corduroy road.

Very NICE

Thanks

Looks like an EXTRA wide Canoe Portage smile.gif

-tom w

Pvt. Ryan I gotta tell you that's a super photo of the T-34 crew. I know that many will wonder what the woman soldier does...well, according to my sources, she probably pushes the tank out of bogs. ;)

Seriously, when I visited her in Ukraine in '99 I couldn't get her into the cab before me to save my life...no matter what I tried in my Western chivalrous mode, she insisted on making me enter the cab first. Finally, one rainy day when we pushed and shoved to see who would go first, she literally flung me in ass over teakettle. Ukrainians are strong! Even petite blonde lady ones!

Anyway, once we were in, I asked the cabbie why women in Ukraine insisted on getting in the car last. He told me, quote "someone has to push the car sometimes..."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>No Russian text can be done unfortunately as it will be back to front on the other side of the vehicle, something what will look odd even if it is in Russian ;)

[ 06-15-2001: Message edited by: KwazyDog ][/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Instead of having seperate textures for both the left and right side of the vehicle, why don't you just allow writings and insignias as sepeate labels superimposed on the regular hull textures? This way you can keep the one side texture (used for both the right side and left) but have the writing/insignia unmirrored since they are seperate for both sides. Would this still cause polygon/graphical problems??

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

You actually met that particular woman? That's cool. Whenever I see war photos I always wonder what happened to those people. I think I saw a preview of a new show on the History Channel that does just that.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My Bad Pvt. Ryan! I meant to say when I visited my wife-to-be and that's the "she" I was referring to. I haven't a clue who the lady soldier is, but you know there were a large number of female combatants in the Red Army. What's interesting is when you see postwar photos of gatherings of Red Army veterans, all proudly displaying chestfuls of medals on their drab civvie Sunday best, there's often a woman or two in there with a similar array of combat decorations.

This brings to mind a different question, for another thread...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Hull down (vehicles only): Pick a spot on the map and your vehicle will move toward it until it has a hull-down firing angle on that spot. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My computer will never again be turned off.

One less thing to micro-manage - kudos.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Commissar:

Finally, a shot of a Soviet tank!

*sniff*

We've waited so long...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good grief - well you'll just have to wait a bit longer you dolt!!

No wonder you're a Commissar and not somethign useful - that's not a tank - it's a bloody self-propelled GUN you moron!!

Off to Lubiyanka with you this instant - you'd make a perfect instructor for the NKVD's stupidity classes!!!

:D

Commissar, that was one idea we considered, but it is something that will have to wait until the rewrite as we have our plate full at the moment as it is and it would have taken some time to get right smile.gif

Ryan, the BT-7 looks kinda of the same, but its actually a KV-I with a welded turret, if I recall correctly. smile.gif

Dan

[ 06-15-2001: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

I knew it wasn't the BT-7 because of the number of wheels (after I did some research) but the turret on the KV-1 that I saw looked different, so I didn't know what it was, which is why I edited my post to remove my guess.

Ummm, just to point out something here in the article.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>CM: We're using the same core engine from Combat Mission, but this time with higher-resolution 3D graphics textures. The average person's 3D hardware has advanced since we released Combat Mission, so we want to take advantage of that. Still, the game is

automatically scalable and will even run an 8MB card (though we recommend 32MB), so we won't leave people behind.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, so you bastitches that think you going to run CM2 on a P233 with a 16MB card, you'd better think about upgrading for this one. If you can't afford a 32MB card these days, then you shouldn't be able to afford the game itself.

The Soviet's used camo schemes as well Ie, winter etc, so our Mod community can make us some Snow camo'd Soviet AFVs as well.

Theirs a nice looking SU-122 that served on the Volkhov front in 42/43, in Zaloga & Grandsens Eastren Front its all white with dark green tree branches painted on it, with red numbers, stars & an air ident disc in red on the roof.

Other then that the Soviets did have access to black & sand grey paint for camouflage but it was rarely used except in a few unit's Ie, 5th Guards Tank Corps during Zitadelle had it's AFVs camo patterned with dark brown over the dark green . The Germans did repaint some captured T-34's in their in their camo scheme as well.

Regards, John Waters

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bog:

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here when I say that the Cover Arc feature is VERY reminiscent of a similar feature from CC3.

That said, I think it'll be a great addition to the game.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, if it's a good feature, no matter the game it originated from, I say use it. One of the most important aspects of CM, the wego system, was first implemented in another game. No harm in borrowing and imporving upon it though, right?

Oh, and Maximus, PLEASE don't start this again. In truth, I agree with you, but this can really piss some people off and for the sake of this thread, I think you better keep it to yourself.

John, very true, winter camouflage was very common on both sides. I am not sure at this point if we will be shipping with winter textures or not, we will have to see how time goes. As it is there are around 300 vehicles in CM2 (as Charles metnioned in the preview) even if I even spend 5 hours on each one Id be here until this time next year smile.gif

From what Ive read the 'summer' camoflage was used by the Russians rarely at best, usually only in wooded areas where the front was static long enough to make the trouble worth it (Leningrad for instance), and this was before about mid-43. Strangely enough Ive read that camoflague was often used by the Russians as a form of identification between units in such circumstances.

After '43 apparently concerns were placed elsewhere and camoflage was seen very rarely indeed, and even then was done only under the orders of local commanders.

Dan