AKoTM Version 2.0 !!! CONTINUE ALL UPDATES & AAR's HERE!

personally i have grave reservations against letting the computer pick my forces. half the skill is creating a flexible and balanced

(read "gamey as heck") set-up. on the other hand, i've no problem with using a logically thought out one. however, wouldn't letting players do randomly distributed set ups lead to the occiasional deliberate 'crepe' set-up: "120 crack kubelwagens. heh-heh, pity the poor sucker who gets stuck with thisone."

that's what I'd do, at any rate. :D

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Treeburst...no, as of today I have not gotten his purchases. I will check my home email tonight when I get off work.

Have you sent him an email? I will do so right now.

Ok...so far everyone seems to agree that they want "Duke purchases" but not Ai purchases. And just to clarify...I WILL NOT give someone 35 crack Kublewagons...more like 30 Elite kublewagons! :D

The unit picks will be as if they where my own. I will make them as equal as possible, but, if you know me by now, a few twists. For example...either side might get a Jabo as that is a unit that has not been used at all in this tourney. And they were quite frequent for the Allies at least. And even a couple here and there for the Germans in June/July 44.

So...

Duke picks: 2

Ai picks: 0

Player picks: 1

Who know's what they are talking about: 1 j/k

Keep the votes coming.

BTW, the voided first round tie-breaker 'twixt me and Philistine is going ahead as a matter of sportsmanship. Philistine just paid the price for exposing a flank shot on his Jagdtiger to two of my Vet Achilles. Had he come across the other diagonal however,I would have been up a certian street without a paddle. Also just killed a Nashorn. Don't think he can have much left.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PondScum:

I now understand why aaronb voted for unlimited 81mm spotters - my heavy weapons section has been under continuous mortar fire for six turns...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFLMAO!

Cheap and plentiful. The rest of your post I'll write off to psyops.

Yes to duke-pick, iff he restrains his natural urges as exemplified on our current maps. IE, no 6-jabo picks with some jeeps to take the VL's at the end of the slaughter.

Yes to attack/defend. Tactically more interesting.

Not that I don't like ya, Duke, but I'm going to vote for player picks. Half the fun of AKotM is picking an incredibly gamey setup I'd never pick for a more serious match. I get to pick out and use all the cool toys I'd never play with otherwise.

:D

And I recently bought a Hercules Prophet 4500 with the Kyro II chipset... which is apparently CM-incompatible :rolleyes: ... All of the text in the UI appears garbled and out of place... for instance I'll have a full squad on pavement, and the squad will be called "pavement squad" and have 0 members according to the UI across the bottom... the amount of ammo they have will be something like "aqv" and pop-up text in the game (such as "Are you sure you want to exit will have two "no" buttons (but the one that should be yes still works)) ... Has anybody found a way to get around this? I have the newest drivers, but alas. :(

aircraft are fine with me but I want to be able to defend myself against them with mobile aaa guns,and there were no wirblewinds in june/july so that will be Sdkfz1 and 2 vehicles.

Now people will start jelling that this is gamey

How are you going to solve this one Duke? :D

So unless this is solved I will agree if not than I'd like to buy my own units

Update:

Duke Picks: 4

Ai pick: 0

Player picks: 2

Undecided: 1

Stoffel:

In regards to your question...what if I give the Germans a Jabo? How will the allies defend without ANY mobile AAA? (and don't even come up with..."Well they got .50 cals"...I doubt any tank, anywhere, ever shot down a fighter bomber) They wont...and they will carry on...so will the Germans. But rest assured that if I do include a Jabo, I will include some type of AAA for balancing. That may be a 40mm Bofors gun, or a 20/37 mm AAA gun. You will just have to make sure you position it quickly. ;) Such is war my friend...a bitch.

Look, here is an example of a typical June forces pick:

Meeting Engagement

Axis: 2 Amored Infantry Pltns. (Rushing up to the fighting)

1 Amored Pnz Gren Pioneer Pltn (With 20mm Flak gun attached)

2 Panzer Mk VI (late)

1 StuH42

1 105mm FO

2 LMG's

Amis: 1 Rifle 44 Company supported by,

1 Engineer Pltn

2 FO's (81/155)

1 Jabo

2 M10 TD's

3 M4's

1 M8 HMC

So as you can see...these two forces could have met up on the field and in terms of CMBO...are fairly balanced. Do not forget that the Armored German Pltns all come with HT's.

If you do not think these forces are balanced, please let me know...this is the time to "set" me in a mind-frame as for balanced troops.

Out.

Guest PondScum

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Iron Duke:

Duke Picks: 4

Ai pick: 0

Player picks: 2

Undecided: 1

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but how many of these people will be the eight who are actually affected by such a change? :) I thought I was joining AKOTM for some gamey ASS KICKING. If you're going to go all historical on us, at least change the name of the trophy to HAKOTM...

Guest PondScum

What type of battle are those forces for? If it's a meeting engagement, I'd take the Allies every time: 5.5 tanks plus a Jabo vs 2.5 tanks is likely to be a walkover, and then you just pound the infantry with arty while your remaining tanks pick off HTs. Even if they're defending, things look dicey for the Germans. Where are the PaK guns? Where are the TRPs? Where are the Panzerschrecks?

Edit - whoops, I retract the above, I misread Pz VI as Pz IV. Hmmmm. Interesting mix. Ow. Hmmmm

[ 06-14-2001: Message edited by: PondScum ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>If you're going to go all historical on us, at least change the name of the trophy to HAKOTM...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spoken like a true Ass Kicker! :D

Yes, it is true that we are in the business of gamey Ass Kicking but we also want to be able to get our gamey tactics in as well. And to do that, I want to put people out of their element...not only with weather, F'd up setup zones, and the like...but now, without their own precious picks! How old is it when I watch the same guys picking the same old picks every freak'n time! Let me tell you...it's old! So we are still Ass Kicking...and now even more so to the left...if you catch my drift.

Not only will you have to contend with ****e weather and setup zones, but now you don't even get to pick your own troops! Hehehe.

Give me your input on this oh Lord of the Scum...

Guest PondScum

How old is it when I watch the same guys picking the same old picks every freak'n time! Let me tell you...it's old!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, some of us are only on our second PBEM meeting engagement - this is still new to me! I wanna win AKOTM becuase I'm the gamiest ass-kicking SOB out there, not because my opponents got stuck with some historical force picks where history says one side's gonna lose, and CMBO reflects that reality smile.gif

And BTW PondScum...

I would take 2 Tigers and a StuH42 over 2 M10 TD and 3 vanilla M4's any day of the week!.

Only the M10's can really hurt the Tigers and tell you the truth...more often than not, the Jabo will not kill a Tiger. (Its never happended to me anyway)

And where are the Panzershreks? Not every frick'n unit had a panzershrek...that's what panzerfausts are for. ;)

Guest PondScum

And BTW PondScum...

I would take 2 Tigers and a StuH42 over 2 M10 TD and 3 vanilla M4's any day of the week!.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I just noticed that I misread things :) Even so, your point about taking the Germans "any day of the week" just proves that you consider those forces unbalanced - so why are you proposing them?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Even so, your point about taking the Germans "any day of the week" just proves that you consider those forces unbalanced - so why are you proposing them? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because Pond me Old Son...you do not hold ground with Tanks...and the Amis have a greater # of grunts and far more Artillery firepower. Also, the 2 M10's get Tungsten rounds...and even though the Jabo probably won't kill a Tiger...it will most likely Immobalize 1 and kill scores of HT's and maybe even the StuH42. The 3 Short 75mm guns on the M4's will maul the German infantry along with the minime Sherman...M8 HMC with its 75mm Howitzer will do considerable damage. That is how you balance...one side may have an advantage in one aspect...but not EVERY aspect.

I'll vote for player picks. I'm pretty much a scenarios-only player, and need practice on the gamey art of picking units...

No more news on my battle with Pacestick, he does love his 75mm (I think it is), and my troops love it not so much...

Pondscum's TD and mine are trading shots at over 1000 metres. Thank goodness BTS chose to not model "überoptics" on his Hetzer. And let's hope the tungsten routines do their thing on my end!

His arty is finally appearing, five turns to go. I sense a gamey turn 20 flag-rush - come and get it! Ambushes are ready to go.

No spectacular flames this time. I opted-out of the flamethrowers due to their poor mobility - nothing PS doesn't know - if they were there, half the board would be lit up by now. Next time.

Once you get used to this map, it isn't so bad, just evil.

Am I the tie breaker? I don't know if my original reply on letting Iron Duke pick was counted as a vote.

If you are a true ass-kicker you will be able to do it with whatever is given you, be it Elite German Uberhamstergameystrum Squads or Green French Mime Platoons so I propose this system:

-First Round: Player pick free for all. This should weed out those who might be in over their heads.

-Second or Third Rounds: Iron Duke would choose: player picks or his picks; now here's the catch: You have no choice of what side you will play or what nationality, this would be determined randomly be it for Duke's picks or Player's picks. This will prove that you are a balanced player, not just someone that is stuck on a system.

This is how it would work for rounds 2 & 3:

Iron Duke decides that he'd like to have Round 2 be player picks, but he also decides that who plays what side will be random, so he contacts each pair of players and in a e-mail rock/paper/scissors (Or similar) match determines who will get what. Then for the third round he might decide that all will play his picks. Or he might just let rounds 2 & 3 be free for alls, whatever it is, it's his choice.

-Fourth & Final Round: Player Picks, play your best, gamiest set up and tactics and try to win with the Nationality you prefer.

With this system, there should be no doubt you're an asskicker when you come out the other end.

Gyrene

Sock Monkey and I are on turn 8. My 50cal. Jeep took out some kind of crewed weapon. A Panzerscheck I think and a Puma this turn. :D:D. He also spotted a King Tiger. Come on Sock Monkey move that King so I can fry him. tongue.gif. I have spotted most of his assets. He can only have about 250 points that I haven't seen yet I'll bet another Panther and I know where he's at. ;)

-------

It's good to be at the top of the food chain.