Apologies about the CMBO obsolete thread

Cybeq

I deeply regret the downward spiralling diatribe my previous thread degenerated into. I did not mean for it to turn into that. What I meant by "obsolete" was that as I look over the improved features of CMBB (specifically the new machine gun stuff) I see a game that once played will make it hard to go back to CMBO. Do you see what I mean? Once I am able to give a machine gun an arc to cover and use the "assault" move command and all the other improvements I'll go back to CMBO and want to do the same things but will be unable to. It will be at that time that I will have a decision to make. Keep CMBO or press on with CMBB. I'll wait to decide I guess. My wish above all wishes is for un upgrade patch to be released for CMBO. Then I could have my cake and eat it too. Alas, I realize it is just a pipe dream. Keep up the good work BTS! CMBO still kicks tail! ;)

Yeah, it would be great if they released a patch to upgrade CMBO withg the CMBB engine, but that will be a cold day in hell, and rightly so.

Can you imagine any other game doing this? For example, remember the old classic Dune II? After a few years, the same company released a better version called Command and Conquer in a whole new setting. Fans of the original wanted to see their old game with the new, snazzy graphics and improved interface. It happened, but years later under totally new code, under a new project team and new developers.

Think of CMBB as a whole new game in the series (which it is), not just CMBO 2 with some slight mods to the engine.

Maybe I'm over-simplifiying the situation here since I have no idea what the development environment is like at Battlefront (is that the publisher or the developer, or both?), but I'm looking forward to the next game in the series.

I guess the question is, did you ever go back and play the older game in a series when the next in line came out? I think the interface of CMBO is so stellar that it will hold up for a bit, plus there may be units/countries we cannot play in CMBB.

I'm just glad to see CMBO was profitable enough that this company could produce a sequel.

Ever play a sequel that sucked compared to the original, despite the flashy new graphics?

I thought Red Baron II was painfully boring; while the graphics were great, it just felt like all the heart and soul had been sucked out of the game.

M1 Tank Platoon II didn't really make me jump for joy, either. The original had its own charm that went missing amongst all the snappy music and snazzy graphics on the screen.

I also really enjoyed the original Mechwarrior - the one where you have to explore the entire island and save up to buy decent mechs, etc. then the big finale where you have to figure out the codes to the doorlocks in some subterranean chamber - had a role playing thing going simultaneously - but all other incarnations left me cold.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ElGuapo:

Think of CMBB as a whole new game in the series (which it is), not just CMBO 2 with some slight mods to the engine.

I'm just glad to see CMBO was profitable enough that this company could produce a sequel.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't see CMBB as a sequel to CMBO. CMBB is the second installment in the Combat Mission series, while the sequel will be based on the new engine, CMII. CMBB will have improved and different features than CMBO. I believe the improvements will be the result of lessons learned in CMBO while the different features will be the result of fighting on the Russian Front. Both games are based on essentially the same engine. Think of CMBB as Close Combat 2 through 5 or the titles in the Battleground series. Each game was basically the same but with enhancements with each installment. We are fortunate that BTS is not simply re-releasing CMBO with different graphics and calling it CMBB; there will no doubt be significant improvements. But it is not the sequel to CMBO, it is the next title in the series. I do agree though that it will be a bit frustrating going back to CMBO and not having some of the enhanced features available. I still don't know what the official word is on this, but hopefully BTS will release a patch that can incorporate some of the easily ported features.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

those chess pieces really needed a dust-off, and I'm not talking about medevac. smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I know. smile.gif I have a parrot which creates a lot of dust during the molting process. As a result, dust covers everything in my living room. It took me forever just to get them that clean. My mom bought me that chess set about 20 years ago. The set came painted that way and represents the battle of Waterloo, in case you couldn't tell ;) I used to play with the pieces as army men, so they got a little beat up over the years. I touched them up with model paints as best I could.

Micheal speaks of Crescent Hawks Inception the battletech game from way way back. Great game! I think I played it on an Apple IIE but still one of my favorites. In fact I bought it on a Windows 95 CD bundled with the sequel Crescent Hawks Revenge and Mechwarrior I (still the best in the mech simulator series from battletech). Of course Mechwarrior II with the Clans had a serious graphics upgrade but was not as fun as Mechwarrior Mercenaries based on the same engine but you got to be inner sphere. Then Mechwarrior III was good but I had an easy time of it and it's expansion pack. I did not bother with Mechwarrior IV because it had little to do with the franchise of battletech which is now defunct. The MechCommander series was alright but I found it a littl monotonous. The CMBO engine would be great as mentioned in another thread but it would take a fantasy world to get that done!

Also Slappy did you get my email with the rest of the list I never got a response?

Cybeg I understand what you mean because I was thinking the same thing. As much as I love CM I'm afraid that when CM2 comes out it will be so much better that I personally will favor it and play it only. I will miss the American forces but I believe the improvements in CM2 will just make playing CM less fun. Who knows though maybe I'll go back and play it on occasion.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Priest:

Micheal speaks of Crescent Hawks Inception the battletech game from way way back. Great game! I think I played it on an Apple IIE but still one of my favorites. In fact I bought it on a Windows 95 CD bundled with the sequel Crescent Hawks Revenge and Mechwarrior I (still the best in the mech simulator series from battletech). Of course Mechwarrior II with the Clans had a serious graphics upgrade but was not as fun as Mechwarrior Mercenaries based on the same engine but you got to be inner sphere. Then Mechwarrior III was good but I had an easy time of it and it's expansion pack. I did not bother with Mechwarrior IV because it had little to do with the franchise of battletech which is now defunct. The MechCommander series was alright but I found it a littl monotonous. The CMBO engine would be great as mentioned in another thread but it would take a fantasy world to get that done!

Also Slappy did you get my email with the rest of the list I never got a response?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I got one part of a list, but have been awaiting e-mail 2. Wednesday is my next design day in the vening for this project.